PLEASE LOOK! should I even try towing like this? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > PLEASE LOOK! should I even try towing like this?

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Although it is aesthetically displeasing to have a jankie rig like that Toyota towing anything, it will be no problem. Those ratings are created to let the lawyers have somewhere to hang their hat besides driver error.
lmao.

Okay big guy. Keep thinking like that.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well it's been 3 days since his post. So either he's dead from trying or doesn't want to post to say it didn't work.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ha ha. Not dead. I'm going for it. I'm heading down to The Badlands. We switched it around and put the jeep forward on the back of the trailer. It Ballanced the trailer out pretty good. Still about 65% of the weight is in the front which is what I wanted.
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
Although it is aesthetically displeasing to have a jankie rig like that Toyota towing anything, it will be no problem. Those ratings are created to let the lawyers have somewhere to hang their hat besides driver error.
Do you ever tire of giving out bad advice?
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #20
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Haha way to give all these jeep physics experts a heart attack! LOL!

If you can stop it you can pull it. You just have to be careful with bigger payloads. Plain and simple.

And as far as gettin stopped, I don't know ANY street cop who has the maximum payload and tongue weight that vehicle can handle memorized. If you don't drive like a moron you won't have to worry about "being stopped and not allowed to continue." The cops who know enough to do so are almost always after big money from big rig tickets anyway.
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #21
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsobi View Post
Ha ha. Not dead. I'm going for it. I'm heading down to The Badlands. We switched it around and put the jeep forward on the back of the trailer. It Ballanced the trailer out pretty good. Still about 65% of the weight is in the front which is what I wanted.
Love the Badlands. Try the bar at the Attica Hotel on Perry Street.

There's a breakfast place up on 28 if you get tired of McD's.

The concession at the Badlands was horrible last time I was there.
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Love the Badlands. Try the bar at the Attica Hotel on Perry Street.

There's a breakfast place up on 28 if you get tired of McD's.

The concession at the Badlands was horrible last time I was there.
thank you. i know for sure were going to the bar on saturday night. we might try the breakfast place.
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Very dangerous rig! First issue is that you need a weight distribution hitch. See how the rear of your vehicle is squatted down and the front end is up. You have no weight on the front end for steering and you will wander all over the road. A definite prescription for a runaway trailer swaying problem. Second issue: Do you have brakes on the trailer? All trailers over 3000 pounds must have brakes, so you must have one axle with an operational braking system. The third lesser known issue deals with polar moment of inertia. Even if you have a positive tongue load (should be 15% of towed weight) if you have a concentrated chunk of weight at the back end of the trailer it can go into uncontrollable sway mode at the least upsetting condition. I've never lost a trailer but I've come as close as you can come - even breaking trailer springs - and this advice is based on 50 years of experience and many thousand towing miles. So consider loading the Jeep with the engine forward and even with the ATV in front. If you need to go a short distance and stay under 30 mph you can probably get away with it but even that wouldn't be recommended by myself or anyone with experience.
Unread 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsobi View Post
thank you. i know for sure were going to the bar on saturday night. we might try the breakfast place.
Great! Let's see some photos from the quarry. And, let us know how your rig fares on the trip. Of course, its all flat as a pancake from Illinois to western Indiana, so unless you have an emergency on the Skyway you won't be testing your brakes to any extent, but maybe you will get feel for any wiggle or push that setup might have.

Oh, and ignore the "sky is falling" crowd. If you have any trouble at all, I'd be shocked. Seriously, though, post a trip report when you get back.

PS: If you get on those quarry rocks, you will wish you had bought an automatic.
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

This issue is often debated, and you'll get many differing opinions. But what you're really talking about is towing over the hitch rating, over the FJ's tow rating, and without the hardware recommended by Toyota (either WDH or Sway Control - check your manual). Those ratings and recommendations are provided by Toyota for a reason, and it's not just for the lawyers.

Is it possible that you can make the trip without any issues? Yep.

Is it likely? Maybe... It depends on an infinite number of factors that cannot be predicted, such as road conditions, weather, traffic, other drivers, and the unexpected.

But what if the unexpected does occur? For example: what if another driver spills his hot coffee and swerves into your lane right on top of you? As you make an emergency maneuver to avoid the collision you could end up losing control of your rig because it is overweight for what your FJ is capable of controlling. You could end up ruining your Jeep & your FJ. Or worse - someone could be injurred or killed.

Or add bad weather to the mix - rain, wind, etc... - other drivers do unexpected and downright stupid things in the rain, and you can't always predict them.

Those scenarios are not that likely, but definitely possible. If seen stranger things happen on the road. And there are many more unexpected examples that could put you in a bad situation.

Bottom line: There is added risk in towing overloaded.

Only you can decide what level of risk is acceptable to you - don't let others on this forum decide for you.
Unread 10-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #26
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

I get whats left of the Jeep after he dies, someone else can keep the FJ, wouldn't be caught dead with that thing.
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll take the FJ, I'll sell it and get another Jeep
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcofc View Post
I get whats left of the Jeep after he dies, someone else can keep the FJ, wouldn't be caught dead with that thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
I'll take the FJ, I'll sell it and get another Jeep
This is so right! That FJ is a complete munter.

But, you have to admire a guy who has an FJ as his DD and wheels a Rubicon.
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Since your going... Take some pics at the badlands, its on my list of to do. Good luck, drive slow.
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

At the risk of a charge of hijacking, may I take the liberty of a few Badlands photos:

And, of course my favorite: Me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.