planning a long towing trip in 10 jk sport and have questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > planning a long towing trip in 10 jk sport and have questions

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
coastiejeeper

planning a long towing trip in 10 jk sport and have questions

ok i know this topic has been covered before and ive read some, on the towing capacity of the jkus. but i have not seen any on the jk sports. my jeep is used and came with no manual but ive seen variations on what the jk sport can tow. i will present to you what i am planning to do and my questions and would love any and all feedback that would help me in deciding if this is a good idea.

plan- i got orders to key west floridia from atlantic beach nc, and was planning on renting the smallest uhaul trailer they rent and packing some of the families items that we deem valuable to us and towing it. the load we plan on towing is mainly shoes, and some baby items and maybe a mattress.

questions- 1. is this feesable to do without the tow package if i just buy the hitch and harness for my jk sport?
2. will the load and trailer be to heavy to safely tow all the way to fl?
3. i did not see where i hooked the wiring harness up to so any help there would be great.
4. can some on point me to the how tos of towing section, so i know when to turn od off and when not too.

again thanks in advance for the help

coastiejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Jeep should have a online manual that you can access with your vin. Most newer vehicles have a harness under the rear frame that you can separate without a issue and plug in a trailer harness which can be bought at uhaul. Uhaul will not rent trailers to a jeep without a hardtop. They have all the trailer weight information on their webpage so that with a estimate of the weight of items will get you close to its real weight as long as your under the recommended weight for towing with your jeep your good to go. OD should not be used when towing in most vehicles again the manual will have that specific information.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
coastiejeeper

thanks for the quick response...i do have a hardtop, so ill be set on that. ill have to look online to check the online manual. i was ordering the hitch kit from 4wd because it is way cheaper to do so. thanks again...
coastiejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.