Ok to flat tow with lockers front and rear? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Ok to flat tow with lockers front and rear?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Detroit locker up front and ARB in back. Both axles are D44's and the front has hubs.

Hubs in "free", ARB unlocked, T-case in neutral, tranny in fifth. No issues with the jeep while towing, in fact, it *towed* fine. But I have to admit, a trailer responds better to towing. Brakes, backing, and emergency maneuvers are better handled with a trailer. I had a large box fall out a vehicle two cars in front of me. The car ahead dodged it easily, me flat-towing the jeep with my 1-ton pickup was not so pretty. All kinds of "wag the dog" excitement for a few seconds.

If I had the option, I'd trailer it. But flat towing is fine from the jeep's perspective, as long as you read your manual. As for your aftermarket parts, call each manufacturer and see what they say. Pays to be sure.

Unread 09-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
newfish1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Detroit locker up front and ARB in back. Both axles are D44's and the front has hubs.

Hubs in "free", ARB unlocked, T-case in neutral, tranny in fifth. No issues with the jeep while towing, in fact, it *towed* fine. But I have to admit, a trailer responds better to towing. Brakes, backing, and emergency maneuvers are better handled with a trailer. I had a large box fall out a vehicle two cars in front of me. The car ahead dodged it easily, me flat-towing the jeep with my 1-ton pickup was not so pretty. All kinds of "wag the dog" excitement for a few seconds.

If I had the option, I'd trailer it. But flat towing is fine from the jeep's perspective, as long as you read your manual. As for your aftermarket parts, call each manufacturer and see what they say. Pays to be sure.
That's what concerns me- PO bypassed the manual locking hubs on the front axle, so there is not "free" on my setup. The FDS spins constantly.
newfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.