Offroad Trailer w/suspension made from a TJ tub - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Offroad Trailer w/suspension made from a TJ tub

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Offroad Sales Tech are Available To Help!Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 11-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #46
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. Just sold my Airstream trailer tonight so I'm going to be able to justify putting some money into turning it into a well equipped camp trailer now. I can't wait.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #47
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

I’ve got a basic outline on what I want to do, but I’d like to get feedback on any of these products if anyone is familiar with them. Or suggestions for products that may be better than the ones I have picked out. I’m trying to do this without going way overboard so price is a heavy consideration. So here’s my plan so far:

I’m going to have a strong metal lid made. It is going to be hinged at the front so it can be easily removed for daily (not camping) use. I am a horrible artist, but here’s the basic idea (blue represents hinges and brackets, grey is the sheet of metal):

lid-sketch1.jpg

It will be able to open up and 2 rods will slide into brackets on the lid and on the tongue of the trailer to support the weight of the lid. Something like this:

lid-sketch.jpg

I’ll have brackets on the lid and on the trailer that will be positioned to support the feet of a double Tent Cot:

tent-cot.jpg

I know the Tent Cot could just as easily be set up on the ground, but I kind of like the idea of having it up on the trailer. I may come to my senses and drop the idea. I’m also going to come up with some option for a side mounted cooking/prep surface and an awning.

The end result will be an offroad trailer that has about everything a $10,000+ Tentrax trailer has for about $2800 or so…plus I’ll have my generator (not included in the Tentrax estimate or mine since I already have it) and my factory 19 gallon fuel tank with electiric pump mounted underneath.

Items I’ll need to buy:
Coleman High-Pressure Propane Hose and Adapter Coleman - 5-ft (1.52-m) High-Pressure Propane Hose Adapter - (To be able to run small propane appliances off of the large tank)
3 Five Gallon coleman water carriers Coleman - 5-gallon Water Carrier - (I have one now so need 2 more)
BlackCat™ Catalytic Heater with InstaStart™ Technology Coleman - BlackCat Catalytic Heater with InstaStart Technology - (This is going pretty cheap as far as a heater goes, but my plan is to just use it to keep the chill off on REALLY cold nights. I’ll set it up in the trailer below the tent, turn it on and let the heat just keep the chill off. Not sure if it will work or not. May have to step up and go with something better if I ever want the wife to come along)
Zodi Hotman Extreme shower with stove: Zodi Hotman Extreme S/C Shower : Cabela's
Portable Environmental Toilet compete kit: Cabela's -- Portable Environmental Toilet™ & Accessories (pretty self explanatory this one)

Items I already own:
Honda EU3000i Handi Generator
Coleman grill
20lb propane tanks
Kamp Rite Double Tent Cot
ARB Fridge
Odyssey battery

I'm open to any suggestions. Still toying around with a few ideas buy I will start going on it this month so I need to make some final decisions. Sorry for my hideous MS Paint work in those pictures.

Last edited by BRICKTOP2; 12-19-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #48
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. Too bad I don't really need one. haha
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #49
TJ-xtreme
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Found a LJ tub last weekend that the guy is willing to let go for $100. After Christmas I'm going to likely go pick it up and finally finish my trailer build...
2001 TJ Sport w/ D44, 2.5" Susp. lift,1" BL w/ MML, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's on 15x8 Soft 8's, Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper and Rocker Guards, S/B SRC Rear Bumper, Xenon 4" Flat Flares, JKS Disconnects, 48" Hi-Lift Jack, OBA System, Optima Blue Top, Hella Lighting. More on the way... ;}
JEEP= Just+Empty+Every+Pocket.....
EAT-SLEEP-JEEP OlllllllO TJ-XTREME
TJ-xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #50
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Damn, now I wish I would have left it black so it would go with the TJ or the JK. I don't think this would look quite as slick behing a blue Jeep...

jeep-trailer2.jpg

Unread 04-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #51
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome trailer. I scanned all the pages, but didn't see any reference to the axle. Do you have any info on the axle & suspension?

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #52
cyberpvnk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow, after seeing this in Rescue Green I'm tempted to keep my M416 and put some time into it. Check my sig for what I'm talking about.

Looking for a 2DR JK softtop in good condition. Located in ILL.
cyberpvnk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #53
classicinjectio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a LJ back half and frame if you want to build one of these cheap in Va beach even has a A-frame pasts diamond plate custom axle all it needs is someone with time and a welder.
classicinjectio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #54
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

Bricktop, I was just thinking up some ideas on building an offroad trailer and it looks like you beat me on just about everything I came up with. You'll definitely be my inspiration when the time comes and I may be bugging you with questions eventually.

Something to consider is using a removable cross bar setup so that you can attach and remove the rooftop tent. Here's a link to a trailer build I found that illustrates the crossbar system. I know I saw a trailer top tent in the $5-600 range so keep looking. The only real difference I could see was a shorter ladder. Keep up the good work and updates.

Off Road Trailer Build
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #55
newman_buddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

classicinjectio Do you still have the Back half and frame?
Yellow Jeep Club - #34
LJ Owners - #34

2006 6,742 Unlimited Rubicon's made
newman_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #56
classicinjectio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Gone

Gave it away after I found this

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #57
newman_buddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
Mentioned these mods in new threads but never updated here. I installed a factory fuel tank back in the trailer, wired up the fuel pump, hooked up a hose, and now I have a mobile 19 gallon filling station.
Attachment 80039
Attachment 80040
Attachment 80041
Attachment 80042
That is a great idea! I think you just sold me on the jeep tub trailer vs the military trailer idea. Really great idea!

Did you rig it for the brakes to work on the trailer. I assume the rest is just like the under side of a jeep, coil springs shocks axle...etc. Looks great!!
Yellow Jeep Club - #34
LJ Owners - #34

2006 6,742 Unlimited Rubicon's made
newman_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #58
classicinjectio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Trailer CDN M101

No I was lazy, I left the stock suspension under the trailer. I did change out the brake drums to match the stock wheels and put a set of Wrangler taillights on the rear. I wired the trailer with extra set of marker lights near the front and the back up lights come on when I shift the Jeep into reverse. Since I wanted to use the stock wheels I had to install a 1" spacer and take out a little bit of material on the wheel so the grease cap would fit. Drives like a dream
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #59
classicinjectio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This was the inspiration for my tub project but I got in over my head.

Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2
Mentioned these mods in new threads but never updated here. I installed a factory fuel tank back in the trailer, wired up the fuel pump, hooked up a hose, and now I have a mobile 19 gallon filling station.
Attachment 80039
Attachment 80040
Attachment 80041
Attachment 80042
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #60
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Haven't been over here on JF in a while. Debating selling this trailer. Probably worth about $1500 or so. Pretty sweet trailer. If there's any interest, drop me a PM. I need something bigger and have my eye on a 12x6 enclosed trailer. Not nearly as cool, but a little more useful for what I need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.