offroad trailer build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > offroad trailer build

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

offroad trailer build

I may be picking up this trailer for $50 its an eye sore now but I hope to make it look a little more offroad capable. The reason I am posting is for some ideas on how to make it a little more beefy. I would like to get matching rims for it (stock canyons) and put my old 30" tires on it....so i know what I want to do, but I dont know exaclty how to do it...I also plan on removing the nasty wood panels and replacing it with either much nicer wood or sheet metal of some sort. I do not have the ability or means to weld, but I know of places It can be done. Let me know what ya'll think!

trailer.jpg

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i don't know much about trailers really, but honestly, that just looks like a small utility trailer. i don't see much offroad benefit from something its size...even if you beefed it up. it just doesn't look like it would hold enough.

if you were to 'build' it, you would at least need to upgrade the axle to something stronger to handle the extra weight and a larger wheel and tire. it's likely that the construction of that trailer is not up to par with 'offroading' either. you would also want metal sides.

$50 for a good utitlity trailer sounds pretty good for that use. i don't see turning that into an offroad trailer though.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

For 50 bucks I would jump on it!! It is small but is perfect for behind a jeep.
I would do a spring over for more higth but I dont know if that axle will work for you or not. There are alot of things to look at, bolt pattern, max weight and will it work for what you want. No matter what it is a good building block and I say go for it and then get us some more pics and specs!!
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ya Ive decided im definetly gonna get it....Im not gonna be using it as an "offroad trailer" but rather a trailer to pull for camping and weekend wheeling trip, but not neccassarily taking it on the trail. but as far as the size, it is perfect for what I need, I want to be able to haul enough gear in it for a weekend trip for 2-4 people. and adding a spring over kit and a stronger axle is on the menu because I do want to be able to take it offroad just in case Im ever able to do that week long excursion in moab

My Jeep

2007 WK CRD
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

oh the dimensions are 4' x 3.5'

My Jeep

2007 WK CRD
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

and if i could get it to look like this: trailer-20045.jpg or at least something close, that'd be sweet

My Jeep

2007 WK CRD
Unread 06-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree - that trailer is not suitable. I actually have one of those and considered beefing it up to be an off-road trailer and I got talked out of it by someone much wiser than myself. The exact words were, "it'd be a lot easier to just build something from scratch."

OP - there is no way you will get that first trailer to look like the one posted above this post, without starting from scratch for the most part. Just look at the frame tubing - it's totally more substantial. The axle is different, the tires are different - the sides are different - all the lighting is different. There comes a point where you've modified something so much that it isn't what it was. In that case, you're better off building from scratch.

Get the trailer for $50 - use it for what it is - a basic in town utility trailer. For an off-road trailer, get something else or build from scratch.

That trailer right above my post is sweet though - where did you find that pict?
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i googled offroad trailers, it was on some toyota forum. I realize that its not gonna look anywhere as good as the one above. But I know what I have in mind. If I could get a stronger axle on it, bigger tires, and put some metal sides on it, paint it black, change out the lights, I would be happy. this guy built his from scratch, If I had the skills to do so, I would, but for what I want, this will work. I have buddies that weld, and I could pull a quick favor to weld a bracket here or there, but not build an entire trailer. I am fully confident this will work, again, it is more for a trailer that I can keep loaded with my camping gear so I can get outta town quicker for weekend trips

My Jeep

2007 WK CRD
Unread 06-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

I disagree with downers above. Its not like you plan on throwing a 1000 pounds in it and taking it across the Rubicon. That trailer even with the axle it has would hold what you plan on using it for.

I would take that trailer and strip the sides off of it and go to town. Since you do have buddys that can weld, I would see if you can get them to the most you can. If they are not willing to than I would go to a local high school or maybe even a junior college and go to the shop class or welding class and see if they want a project for there students. My buddy got the skins and some bracing on his 56 pick up done for free. all he had to do was supply the materials. It came out good!!!

Again this trailer is perfect for what you want. You can make it look like that trailer above no problem. Go get that trailer and post some more picks of it. Untill then check this plaace out, they have great deals on everything you need!!!!

http://www.trailerpart.com/?OVRAW=tr...ID=77176994521

Unread 06-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
yellowford
1993 YJ Wrangler 

that trailer apears to be the one sold at harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42708
yellowford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan99 View Post
I would take that trailer and strip the sides off of it and go to town.
Sure, I would go to town. But I wouldn't go out of town with it.

Quote:
If I could get a stronger axle on it, bigger tires, and put some metal sides on it, paint it black, change out the lights, I would be happy.
So, sounds like all you would be keeping is the frame. You could get someone to weld together a much more heavy duty frame for not very much money. Not sure what kind of advice you want for making it "more beefy" if you're so confident you're on the right track and plan to replace everything but the frame anyway. Good luck - post pictures when you're done (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would buy that for 50 bucks... It'd cost more than that just for the material to build the frame. I think those trailers bolt together so I'd just weld it up to make it more solid and go from there. You can swap stuff out eventually however you want and learn along the way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.