OffRoad trailer Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > OffRoad trailer Build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
whitecopter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OffRoad trailer Build

Weill I figured I would post a quick build thread for my trailer build. It was a fun project with minimal profanities minus some delays with parts suppliers.

I picked up this trailer for cheap. Had been sitting next to a guys house outside for 2 years. It was small enough and sturdy built. I thought it would be cheaper to start with a prebuilt trailer. Hind sight I was wrong, should have started from scratch.

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
whitecopter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trailer build

After looking at it and doing some measurements I figured it needed some sand blasting and it would be too tall after adding 33" tires some cut a portion off the top and weldied a new top frame. I also added a hatch for the back.
4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg  

Unread 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
whitecopter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

trailer build

Next I reskinned the top and hatch and installed hatch handles. Then went to the front and cut off the the ball coupler and added a reciever tube for the Max Coupler.
9.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
whitecopter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

trailer build

The new axle and hubs I ordered so the track of the trailer matches my Jeep. On went axle and Matching wheels and tires.
12.jpg   13.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
whitecopter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

trailer build

One thing I forgot to mention was cutting off old fenders and adding new ones. This eliminated the need for a lift kit. Next was paint. The bottom, inside, and tongue i used black durabak 18 and top was tan durabak 18. All new wiring, some accesories and a mombasa rtt and poof I had my camp trailer. All in all it took about 11 full Days start to finish and alot of patience from my wife.
14.jpg   15.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
whitecopter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trailer Build

Please feel free to make fun Of some of the crappy welds. This was my first major welding endeavor.

Thanks to all people that had even a minor hand in this project.
Scott with Compact Caming Concepts fro The tent and ideas
Fineline autobody for sand blasting and quick service
and curtis trailers for having hubs in stock locally when my ordered ones never showed and great customer service.
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
PunkRockPilot

hey Peaches, nice trailer, looks like fun.
PunkRockPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
haves0090
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dang, looks good.really makes me wanna find a trailer to work on for myself! Nice job
haves0090 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.