Off-Road Utility Trailer - Budget Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Off-Road Utility Trailer - Budget Build

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Off-Road Utility Trailer - Budget Build

I needed a better way of hauling my 4-wheeler and hunting gear to and from the lease without spending a small fortune.

The main issue I had was the back end of the trailer dragging across uneven ground or completely digging in while trying to back up and turn around on tight trails. It was easier just to unhook the trailer and turn it around by hand.

So this is what I came up with for my typical 5' x 10' wood decked utility trailer.

First, here is a before shot of what I started with:

photo-sep-07-6-24-20-pm-small-.jpg

Next was adding a axle "flip kit" (for lack of a better term).

dexter-flip-kit.png

The axle on my trailer is a Dexter 3500# straight with a 5 on 5 hub and 2- 3/8" tube. The flip kit allows you to reposition the leaf springs on top of the axel and according to Dexter, welding is not required for the new spring mounts.

Install took less than 45 minutes. Including putting the trailer on jack stands, removing tires , etc.

After the "flip" the springs now sit on top:

photo-sep-29-5-46-13-pm-small-.jpg

Next was determing what would work and then finding wheels that I could use with the take-offs from my 2010 JKU Rubi. The backspacing on the Moabs is too much for this particular axle and I did not want to use spacers. Just a personal preference on my part.

After digging around for a 17" x 8" wheel with 4" or less of backspacing I finally decided the ProComp Series 52, 17 x 8, 4.25" BS, steel wheel was the way to go.

pro-comp-wheels-series-52-black-wheels.png

It's hard to beat Summit's fast delivery and reasonable prices. I had a set of these in my hands in 2 days from Ohio to Louisiana for a $11.95 handling fee.

Here are the Rubi take offs mounted on the new wheels:

photo-oct-06-4-14-51-pm-small-.jpg

And compared to the OEM trailer wheels/tires:

photo-oct-06-4-11-25-pm-small-.jpg

Done for now. Street manners are good so far - no issues. The trailer now sits almost level behind my JKU and should not have any problems being pulled through the woods. Just in time for deer season at the end of October.

photo-oct-06-4-14-13-pm-small-.jpg

photo-oct-06-4-14-30-pm-small-.jpg

PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
gbean120
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Yours looks very robust but you might have to deal with clearance for your wheel wells.

I'm trying to build up my harbor freight trailer the same, but I want a jeep axle to support it, and weld support square tubing.
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Agreed. I'm looking at some alternatives for fenders.

I found some "Jeep" style fenders at northern tool that look like they may work. Need to take some measurements.

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is mine loaded and ready to go. I did a spring over and it sits on the same rim (size and bolt pattern) and tires (33x12.5)as my jeep :

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
gbean120
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Here is mine loaded and ready to go. I did a spring over and it sits on the same rim (size and bolt pattern) and tires (33x12.5)as my jeep :
Where did you get the axle setup for that? And the bolt pattern?
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean120 View Post
Where did you get the axle setup for that? And the bolt pattern?
Axle and hubs form Orchelans, bolt pattern is whatever a TJs is. I paid about 125 bucks for that. I had to have the axle cut down so it wasn't too wide, I paid 80 bucks for that.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Take a look at a minivan rear straight axle. Don't worry about the wheel cylinder, but when you flip the axle over for lift (most are a drop axle), you can integrate the parking brake and still have SUA setup. Redrilling the hub/drum shouldn't be an issue either to match to your Jeep vehicle too. Some might come with same lug pattern (5on4.5).

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.