I needed a better way of hauling my 4-wheeler and hunting gear to and from the lease without spending a small fortune.
The main issue I had was the back end of the trailer dragging across uneven ground or completely digging in while trying to back up and turn around on tight trails. It was easier just to unhook the trailer and turn it around by hand.
So this is what I came up with for my typical 5' x 10' wood decked utility trailer.
First, here is a before shot of what I started with:
Next was adding a axle "flip kit" (for lack of a better term).
The axle on my trailer is a Dexter 3500# straight with a 5 on 5 hub and 2- 3/8" tube. The flip kit allows you to reposition the leaf springs on top of the axel and according to Dexter, welding is not required for the new spring mounts.
Install took less than 45 minutes. Including putting the trailer on jack stands, removing tires , etc.
After the "flip" the springs now sit on top:
Next was determing what would work and then finding wheels that I could use with the take-offs from my 2010 JKU Rubi. The backspacing on the Moabs is too much for this particular axle and I did not want to use spacers. Just a personal preference on my part.
After digging around for a 17" x 8" wheel with 4" or less of backspacing I finally decided the ProComp Series 52, 17 x 8, 4.25" BS, steel wheel was the way to go.
It's hard to beat Summit's fast delivery and reasonable prices. I had a set of these in my hands in 2 days from Ohio to Louisiana for a $11.95 handling fee.
Here are the Rubi take offs mounted on the new wheels:
And compared to the OEM trailer wheels/tires:
Done for now. Street manners are good so far - no issues. The trailer now sits almost level behind my JKU and should not have any problems being pulled through the woods. Just in time for deer season at the end of October.