New trailer! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > New trailer!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

New trailer!

So here the story of how I acquire this shady looking trailer. I had a job offer in Utah that I couldn't turn down. I didn't want to get rid of my jeep so I made the decision to drive all the way from mass to Utah. I had some stuff I wanted to bring but obviously couldn't fit inside my YJ. I looked into renting uhaul trailer, it was 800! No thanks! So I went on Craigslist and found this gem, perfect fit and seemed to be well built. I brought this trailer for 100. Packed all of my stuff in the trailer and went on the road 2 days later I brought it. 5 days, 2,500 miles and countless fuel stops. I made it without issues!

So I still have the trailer. I want to convert it into tent trailer. As of right now, the plywood are rotten and removed from the trailer. Prepping the frame for fresh paint. The axle are shot, square tube with some rust holes. I have no idea how it held up from the long trip across the country.

I am just building it up as I go along. I will replace the axle and maybe weld some metal sidings where the plywood was.

Please feel free to chime in!

PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Couple of more pictures

The hitch design are odd but very solid.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, that's cool to move to Utah! Lucky you! That was funny about the countless fuel stops... Oh yeah!

That is nice trailer to rebuild, and tow around on your adventures. And that is in interesting hitch. It looks like you could put the same size tires on it as your Jeep? I have that on mine so that the Jeep's spare works for the trailer too.

Enjoy!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

I'll be watching this project. Take your time, do it right, looking forward to the 'in-progress' pics.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like it has a stout frame/good base to work from. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

bump^...any progress?
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not much progress yet...so far I replaced plywood and painted it. Then winter came..project is on hold until spring.
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting to see coil springs on that thing. What rating axle are you planning on? Good buy on a good start.
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah coil springs are interesting but horrible absorbing the road bumps, it become trampoline, bounces completely off the wheels if hit the bumps just right. Also sways side to side rubbing the tires against the frame. How it survived 2500 miles across the country, I don't know. I am gonna remove the coils and replace it with 3500 lbs axle and possibly yj leaf springs. That way it will be much more stable to tow. I am learning along as I go as I don't know much about trailers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.