"new" tow rig - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > "new" tow rig

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Indy

"new" tow rig

I had a nice circular problem. I sold my truck a while back and had nothing to tow my boat with. So I had a parked boat since my GC would do it across town but not down the highway. So I have a boat and need a truck, but don't want to spend the money on a truck to tow the boat, but if I have a truck I know I'll want a boat for next summer...

So I sold the boat to buy a truck and I'll buy another boat next year. In the meantime it will be nice to have a bed again and not have to run a trailer everywhere. Looked all over for a diesel, but the only ones in my price range were the 6.9 and non-turbo 7.3, neither of which impress me. Or the chevy 6.5 turbo which I've owned and go the other way from being impressive at all. It goes straight into the neighborhood of "I hate this ****ing truck."

And as much as I would like a good diesel, facts are facts and this thing will be sitting all the time since my nice vehicle is my DD and I can't see having a payment for a yard ornament.

So here she is for $2000, 1991 F250 with 460 and 4wd. Starts strong, runs even and engine feels strong. It needs a new windshield and someday I'll get around to banging out a few dents and giving it some paint.

Now, what can I do to get 35mpg out of this thing?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Indy

And my new off road project that will end up being towed by the above!

Sold my sammi, building the tracker as a moderate off-roader I can take the kids in and plans for a 1/2 buggy in the future for more extreme runs without the kids. Cheap and kind of ugly so I won't mind taking the plasma to it if needed. No jeeps where I hunt, can't fit a good one down the trail but I can get the zuks down an atv trail.

Unread 09-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How far do you, or will you have to tow to put your boat in water, or to take your project off road? I have thought about buying an older truck as a tow rig, but my concern is I would typically tow somewhere between 100 miles and 500 miles (both round trip) depending upon what end of the State I am traveling to. My longest one way tow was 908 miles. Some of these miles are literally out in the middle of no where... I have never had to do it, but having a tow rig and the trailer attached to it towed is not something for the faint of heart, esp. if you are out in no where ville. Like you, I am also debating the gas versus diesel deal as well as I suspect whenever I do get a truck, it will mostly sit parked until I need to tow something. Diesels don't like to sit around, but are nice while pulling. Gas sucks while pulling, but don't mind sitting around when not in use.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Indy

I'm about 30 minutes from my closest lake. But 2 hours from a good one. My furthest tow is around 400 for elk hunting. Same with trails. The 460 has some grunt, slow controlled takeoff is taking some practice I'd love a newer diesel but can't justify the cost. I don't have any desire to be the Guy with a huge truck and doing a paper route to make the payments.

Unread 09-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I'm about 30 minutes from my closest lake. But 2 hours from a good one. My furthest tow is around 400 for elk hunting. Same with trails. The 460 has some grunt, slow controlled takeoff is taking some practice I'd love a newer diesel but can't justify the cost. I don't have any desire to be the Guy with a huge truck and doing a paper route to make the payments.

I hear ya on the payments. A newer truck is what I am thinking, like 2000 or 2001 maybe with Cummins, maybe not. Only thing I know for sure is cost of a new truck is silly stupid.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That 460 is great motor, it will pass everything but a gas pump, my uncle has one in his conversion van, I think he gets around 8mpg driving around and 7mpg towing. But its a very strong powerful motor.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Indy

Good to know The gas part I was expecting, big reason most of its life will be parked. When I picked it up I was a little irritated with the fuel gauge being on about E but I made it home. Then the other day I looked and realized this thing has 2 tanks, flipped the switch and swung to full. I can make it to the gas station now!

Unread 09-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I hear ya on the payments. A newer truck is what I am thinking, like 2000 or 2001 maybe with Cummins, maybe not. Only thing I know for sure is cost of a new truck is silly stupid.
I do real estate for a living now. Years ago stopped being surprised by people that couldn't afford a home, a place to live sleep and raise their children, because they refused to get rid of the $900/month truck payment. Admittedly every woman out there needs a long bed, 4 door, NEW f350 Powerstroke to get groceries with. And not joking have spoken to many people using their $60,000 truck to deliver newspapers so they could afford the insurance on the truck they're trashing by using to deliver newspapers...

I know lots of folks NEED the truck, but so many could get by with a decent car and a beater f150 they drive every 3 months or so. Like me I just held out for the 3/4 ton, I do remodels and fix/flips for good money and a little extra capacity will come in handy. I will suffer at the pump every now and then. But cash for the truck and $20/month for insurance, I won't be suffering that much

Unread 09-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I do real estate for a living now. Years ago stopped being surprised by people that couldn't afford a home, a place to live sleep and raise their children, because they refused to get rid of the $900/month truck payment. Admittedly every woman out there needs a long bed, 4 door, NEW f350 Powerstroke to get groceries with. And not joking have spoken to many people using their $60,000 truck to deliver newspapers so they could afford the insurance on the truck they're trashing by using to deliver newspapers...

I know lots of folks NEED the truck, but so many could get by with a decent car and a beater f150 they drive every 3 months or so. Like me I just held out for the 3/4 ton, I do remodels and fix/flips for good money and a little extra capacity will come in handy. I will suffer at the pump every now and then. But cash for the truck and $20/month for insurance, I won't be suffering that much
You're doing it the right way. It's silly seeing new, full sized pickups (many of them diesels) rolling around these suburbanite neighborhoods. What the hell are they pulling with these trucks? Fishing boats or snowmobiles they use 5 times per year?

Any $2000 beater will do the jobs most people "need".
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Words from the wise. Vehicle payments are silly. I went to an auction to pick up a vehicle to drive to and from work. 675 dollars and I picked up a peppy 92 corolla. Put some minor parts on it. And now have a very dependable little car to go to and from work.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
krabby124
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix
Words from the wise. Vehicle payments are silly. I went to an auction to pick up a vehicle to drive to and from work. 675 dollars and I picked up a peppy 92 corolla. Put some minor parts on it. And now have a very dependable little car to go to and from work.
I feel the same way. I'm only 16 but k just went to the auction and picked up my 2001 xj for 900 bucks. After a haed it is a great running truck for around 1200 bucks

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum

YJ Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-high-school-yj-build-1411192/
krabby124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.