new sled hauler/custom camper trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > new sled hauler/custom camper trailer

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

new sled hauler/custom camper trailer

i have wanted an enclosed trailer for a while. i am pretty cheap, so i did not buy one. i am an avid snowmobiler, and fell into a deal on a really bad *** sled, to cheap to pass up. i did not want my sled out in the elements behind my truck or jeep, so an enclosed trailer was the way to go!
i shopped around, i knew i wanted an all aluminum trailer.
i found becks trailer sales in st. johns, mi had about the best deals around.
they had the one i wanted in stock, and the wife was cool with me buying it.
here it is:

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

it was a pretty basic enclosed trailer. it is 17 ft long (12 ft box, 5 ft v-nose) plus the tongue.
this is what they consider a 2 place snowmobile trailer. putting 2 sleds in is very tight!
the interior height is 6ft. interior width is 6'6.5". it has ramp doors front and rear, and an rv side door.
this is the interior when new, looking from front to rear:

same pic but rear to front:
glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

lucky for me i have a great friend that is a cabinet maker/finisher. he has access to wood that is often free, or at least very cheap.
also they can custom make anything i want, that is super handy!i parked it in his backyard for a while, and we went to work.
the first thing we wanted to do was insulate the whole thing. its not a hard job, but time somewhat consuming.
we used a dense closed cell foam, in the same thickness as the joists we were filling. so it ended up the walls and roof were 1.5" thick.
the ramp doors were 2" thick. i am about to put 2" under the floors also, but have not as of yet.
we cut all the foam with a ryobi 18v cordless mini circular saw. it worked great, but dulled blades quick.

the roof

the walls

the color change in insulation was because i bought it at different locations.
the price was about the same, quality seemed similar.
pink=home depot, green=lowes.
glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the next decision was what to put on the walls and ceiling? it has to be light, cheap, look decent, not sag.
for the walls i was convinced to use frp. fiber reinforced plastic. my friends company had a bunch of it cheap.
this is a leftover from a job my friends company did a long time ago. they want rid of it, i gave 15$ a sheet for it.
the sheets were custom cut to be 5 ft by 10 ft. i have extra sheets leftover in case i really mess one up.
the smooth shiny white really brightened up the trailer!

to cover up the screws holding up the walls, and make it look better we used birch trim moulding my friend custom made for me.
it is 2" wide, but the rear is cut out so the screw heads can fit in it, and it still be flush against the wall.
at the top we did the same thing with custom birch crown moulding, that covers where the ceiling and walls meet, and the wiring.

glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the next thing i did was do the wiring. i made a 12v wire harness that runs from front to back. it will power all the lights except one.
the one factory light on the trailer was powered off the running lights. i liked the fact that i had a light, even if the trailer battery was dead, or i was not plugged in. this has proven to be a great idea. i use it alot when towing, and getting stuff in or out off the trailer. also handy for loading or fueling sleds at night! i added six 12v, 2 bulb, dual switch lights. i can use 1, or 2 bulbs on any light. i plan on switching one bulb on each light over to led, leave the other a std bulb. the harness runs along the roofline inside, so i can access it if i need too. it is hidden behind some crown moulding. it runs down in the nose of the trailer to the converter charger, then out to the battery. its all 10awg wire. its all fused in multiple locations. the convertor charger is a progressive dynamics model 9180a, its 80amps. the charger is complete overkill, and a mistake, but it is a top of the line charger. a pd9145a, 45 amp would be much better for me. i will change it at some point. it was about $300 ish new, i got it used for $60 on ebay. i could not pass it up. sorry, not much for pics of the electrical system.
glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

next up was the ceiling, and other interior stuff. what to cover that with? i had more frp left i did not use on the walls. my friend wanted to use that. i went with what he wanted on everything else, on this i did not. i was sure the frp was too heavy, and would sag between the rafters. i like the look of natural wood. i was gonna do thin pine plywood. my friend was having no part of pine, he is a wood snob! he gave me a really nice solid birch countertop to use, and suggested we use all birch for everything else. i thought it was a good idea. i was able to get birch plywood sheets for fairly cheap. so we got a bunch of sheets and went to work on the ceiling. it came out really nice. the finish is not perfect, there are a couple minor sags, and runs. we did finish the wood in about 35 degree temps, so we are lucky it looks this good. i cant seem to find and pics that really highlight the ceiling, and these kinda jump ahead in the build, but o well. it really looks good!

glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the reason for all the birch inside was that my friend gave me a nice countertop to use. i cant have always a counter, its gotta move when the sleds get loaded. so i found some fold down counter hinges rated at 750lbs. they are pretty cool. now i can have a nice counter/bar area when camping, and be able to move it to load my sleds. it folds flat against the wall. the counter was so big, i actually cut into 2 different countertops. i have one mounted in the front right of the v nose. i might add one to the rear, but im not sure yet. we built a small cabinet over the counter top to hold small stuff. it was built out of scrap we had lying around, lol mostly walnut and cherry. we are skinning it in the thin birch we used on the ceiling.

the cabinet:

the counter, b4 install:

glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

in the underside of the cabinet we built, i added a 2 bulb 12v light.
i also added a pioneer stereo cd player with remote, and a small truckers 2spd 12v fan
i also added 4 pioneer 6x9 speakers, this trailer rocks! it will hurt your ears!

glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the biggest job of all was putting polyurethane on the floors, and lower walls. i should have done it first, and i didnt.
there are some stains in the wood now, that wont sand out. if you ever get a trailer that has wood, seal that b4 u use it!
mine looks pretty good still, but it would have been better, had i sealed it sooner! the 2nd coat of poly is still drying in this pic.
it has 3 coats now. also in the lower right front, u can see the electrical center with the charger converter
it is normally covered by a vented wood box, it is fan cooled. all the electrical terminates there.
glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

last spring we took it back to the dealer we bought it from, for some custom work, i did not trust myself to do.
we had a tinted slider window added, it was the biggest they had. i wish it was bigger!it is covered by a doubled up thermal drape.

we also had a 3 speed fantastic fan roof vent added, this is the best mod we did! this thing can move some air!

we also added a small pass through in the side of the trailer. i can pass electrical cords, or water hose through it.
it is there mostly so i can vent my in room ac unit out there. it works sweet! it has a latchable cover when its not in use.

it is insulated so well, and so small inside, that a small electric space heater gets it quite toasty pretty quickly.
i may add a "big buddy" propane heater later, cause they can be used with or without electric power.
so far i have not needed the heater much. the ac was used on a camping trip last summer, it was great!
glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

in the winter, i put in a cheap chipboard drop floor. it covers the floor and ramp doors, so my snowmobiles dont chew up the good wood work inside.
the main reason i bought this trailer is this!

its a 2008 yamaha apex ltx gt 40th anniversary edition. 150 horse, 4 cyl, 4 stroke, 136" track, electronic ohlins suspension.

this is my old back up sled. it aint fast, but it is way light, and fun to jump hills with.
its a 1993 polaris indy trail, 488 fan cooled, twin. i did add an extra 12 suspension with fox shocks, and plastic skis
its got over 12k miles, and is bone stock engine wise. never uses belts, plugs, just wont die! it is seldom used anymore.

this is my friend johns polaris fusion 900, its a 900cc, 2 stroke, 2 cylinder.
we ride together alot, its usually in my trailer with mine.

this is my friend dennys 06 polaris fst (that ***** is fast!) 750, 2 cylinder, 4 stroke, intercooled turbo.
he recently passed away, and i miss him alot! the sled has not been ridden since his passing.
i was gonna buy it, but i got the yamaha instead. rip denny!
glfwda #6624
Unread 05-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

last week my friend john and i bought this sled as a project.
its a 1996 polaris xlt special. the motor is blown bad! block is wasted.
we have a hot to go perfomance 800 triple motor. about 200 horse on pump gas.
its gonna be a rocket when we are done! it has about 3k miles on the chassis.
motor is in it now, just figuring out the coolers and wiring now.
glfwda #6624

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.