New Off-Road Trailer w/Pictures - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > New Off-Road Trailer w/Pictures

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome trailer! I want one sooooooo bad

Cheers

Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #47
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This arrived today, which was a black Friday deal. It's a Tepui Ayer roof top tent.

My trailer is in storage so this will be a spring project. I'm not exactly sure how I'll mount it, as typically an RTT attaches to a roof rack, which the trailer doesn't have. It does have bars running across the center that I may drill into through the lid to attach it.

So it seems that I'll be selling my really nice ground tent, sleeping pads and cots.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #48
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ballin!

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #49
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Update?
Unread 03-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #50
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Funny you should ask...

I pulled out the RTT yesterday and bolted the rails on the bottom that typically attach to an SUV's roof rack. And wow! The RTT just pops open! It's a small RTT, but it's got enough room inside for two being 4' x 8'. This is going to be big improvement over a ground tent.

I also made a wood template to assist with drilling through the lid of the trailer as the holes need to be spot on. I'll drill through the lid's two center rails (at least I'm hoping that works). I also went to Lowes and found some longer 8mm bolts as I may need them. I also bought several tall jack stabilizers, as I figure I'll need one on each end of the trailer to make sure it's level and stable.

Next weekend I'll pick up the trailer as it's in storage.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 03-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #51
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Awesome. I plan something very similar.
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #52
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I picked up the trailer today from storage. I towed it home with my wife's KJ as my TJ is also in storage. (I have limited garage space at home so my DD Honda gets my side of the garage in the winter.)

Earlier this spring I added a Mopar 7-way plug to the KJ. The KJ already had a 7-way harness running front to back, so it just needed a wire that plugged in back with the 7-way plug. The KJ also has wiring for a brake controller, however it stops just fine without utilizing the trailer's brakes. I don't intend to tow much with the KJ. The KJ's hitch does sit lower then the TJ's so the ball is 2-3/4" higher on the KJ and the trailer tongue was level.

I also noted that the trailer's Blue-top battery did trickle charge on the way home. Nice. I used the battery in fact to air up the tires a touch after the trailer had sat since October.

Kind of funny to see a trailer with larger tires then the TV.

I thought I'd try out the new GoPro so here is a 45 second video towing the trailer home. Yes, nothing exciting. It tows nice and stable. I have a trip to Utah end of summer so I'll be utilizing the GoPro for that trip! I plan to setup a GoPro mount on the trailer.

Anyway, once home I took some Rust-Oleum to the top of the trailer. Along the rails on the lid in places the bed liner spray didn't get completely under them and I was getting a little rust.

I also checked the tongue weight of the trailer and as it's loaded with camping gear it's about 85# when using a bathroom scale. I have yet to know what the trailer weighs itself, but it's probably 500#? I may have to go find a scale.

Next weekend I'll work on getting the RTT on top of it. The wood template I created showed me that it should sit centered over the axle of the trailer, or slightly in front of it as I think I don't want to overly increase the tongue weight (the RTT is 95#). I may put more other stuff on the tongue later anyway. (Water, propane tank?)

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Last edited by grogie; 04-05-2014 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #53
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've been thinking about this since Black Friday.

The tent is on and it's solid!

The key to getting the holes drilled dead on was the wood template. I bought some strips of wood and nailed them together just as the rails were on the bottom of the tent. I then marked and drilled the holes in the wood template, and made sure that the holes then worked with the tent's rails. (As shown below.)

I then put the wood template on the trailer and carefully drilled the 5/8" holes through the trailer's rails and lid. I then painted the holes and put sealant in. And low and behold, the bolts pushed their way through and I bolted them down from inside. It's a Festivus Miracle!

And the lid does open and stays up on it's own. It's a little heavier at the start, but once it's a 1/3 of the way up the lifts do their job. (I may look into stronger lifts.)

Sorry for the lousy iPhone pictures but it's gotten dark. I've got to put the ladder on the tent next, and then I'll get some better pictures in the daylight.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #54
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well here is the tent out in the sunlight. It's so quick to set it up! I just grab the ladder's end, pull it across the tent and the tent opens up, adjust the ladder's height (the rails click into place), then stake the window flaps open and it's done and ready to move in. Who needs a Holiday Inn Express?

I bought two jack stabilizers to put one on each end. I'll also utilize wheel chocks.

The RTT sits above the lid so I can still utilize the tie down straps on each side of the lid to carry anything on top of the tent when it's closed up. I also have ordered a small hammock that will go next to the ladder and hang under the tent for shoes!

It is comfortable inside with a great view! This is a small version of an RTT being 4' x 8' inside. I'm about 6' so it works for me. I can sit up in the middle of the tent fine. It will be cozy, but then it's just for sleeping in not living in. (I also have a small and quick to put up privacy tent for dressing, etc.)

The pad is okay on it's own, but with a sleeping bag or something else it's very comfortable as I almost took a nap! In fact I put two single sleeping bags inside, but their a little too wide for the space without overlapping each other (combined their about 70" wide). I'm looking around for instead a double sleeping bag, either to sleep in it or on top of it. I found one that was 50", which would be perfect, but it's out of stock. There is room inside when it's closed up, so a sleeping bag or blankets/pillows can be left in it. Nice!

The trailer's lid is easy to open when the tent is also open so it's weight is transferred to the ladder.

And my ground tent and cots have come out of the trailer! Wow that opens up more room. Immediately that will make room to pull more stuff out of the Jeep! Previously in the back of my Jeep we were keeping a good sized cooler and two large duffle bags for clothes. At least one duffle bag will now go inside the trailer.

Overall the tent seems to be well made for the money. There are more expensive options and larger tents of course, but already this is going to be an improvement from a ground tent. You know the problem with having Jeep love is that so little fits inside a Jeep and of course especially with a two-door Jeep, they don't tow much either! So far I'm most pleased with this modification. And now I get to accessorize the tent!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 04-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #55
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Nice. Thats exactly what I want.
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #56
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The tent looks really nice , cant wait to see some pics of it in Utah .
Unread 04-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #57
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A couple of additions arrived this week for the trailer. This is a cool little hammock designed for storing shoes outside.

And a cozy double-size sleeping bag. Yeah, I took a nap.

I also tried putting the cover on. Seems that leaving the sleeping bag inside makes it a bit thick and harder to get the cover to zip on. Otherwise the cover zipped right on without the sleeping bag. However there is some room inside, at least for pillows I think. I'll see if the cover stretches a bit.

The trailer has gotten heavier, but I can still push it into my garage easy enough.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 04-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #58
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie
A couple of additions arrived this week for the trailer. This is a cool little hammock designed for storing shoes outside.

And a cozy double-size sleeping bag. Yeah, I took a nap.

I also tried putting the cover on. Seems that leaving the sleeping bag inside makes it a bit thick and harder to get the cover to zip on. Otherwise the cover zipped right on without the sleeping bag. However there is some room inside, at least for pillows I think. I'll see if the cover stretches a bit.

The trailer has gotten heavier, but I can still push it into my garage easy enough.
Is that cover dust proof? Gravel roads etc always seemed to fill my topper/truck bed with dust even though it was sealed fairly well

Better mouse traps result in smarter mice
Unread 04-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #59
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^The way the covers seal on RTTs is that there is rounded fabric on one side that slides through a receiver channel at the hinge side of the tent base. Then there is a large zipper that goes all the way around of the other three sides of the tent. The cover is a thick vinyl. The tent itself is pretty compressed inside the cover, so even if dust got through the zipper, or at it's edges, I doubt it would work its way inside the the tent.

As far as the Tepui brand tents, I've read several reviews of guys using them over a hundred nights and have been pleased with them for the $.

This shows one opening:

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #60
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
^The way the covers seal on RTTs is that there is rounded fabric on one side that slides through a receiver channel at the hinge side of the tent base. Then there is a large zipper that goes all the way around of the other three sides of the tent. The cover is a thick vinyl. The tent itself is pretty compressed inside the cover, so even if dust got through the zipper, or at it's edges, I doubt it would work its way inside the the tent.

As far as the Tepui brand tents, I've read several reviews of guys using them over a hundred nights and have been pleased with them for the $.

This shows one opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMt5Iig0cAI
My Tent stays nice and clean closed and zipped up, looking at 5+ years now

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.