New Off-Road Trailer w/Pictures - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > New Off-Road Trailer w/Pictures

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #31
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures from yesterday as the trailer is mostly packed up! I've done my best to organize it so that everything has it's place and is easy to find. I have to say it's been fun to outfit it! Currently I have two four-galloon water jugs inside. I no longer have the original rack on the front, but I'll have to build a new one as I'd rather have the jugs outside (and this will help as next year I want to go to Moab). But being inside they'll work for now.

I also took it for test pull yesterday through the country. Although I have a cushioned ball mount, with the added weight on the tongue, it doesn't jerk much at all. It tows great!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Trailer! I'm a few weeks into mine. You have a lot of great features on yours.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #33
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just returned from the trailer's maiden voyage for a vacation/ camping trip to the Michigan UP.

Here are my observations after a 1500 mile tow with my two door, 3 inch + lifted TJ.
1) I'm again sold on electric trailer brakes with a controller in the Jeep. After the first rain storm, I noted that I had the controller turned up a little too high as the wet brakes were making the trailer's brakes easily lock up. So I adjusted the controller down due to the trip's damp weather conditions.

2) My Jeep stops better with the trailer in tow!

3) The trailer felt good as it followed the Jeep smoothly with no sway. On two lane country roads and dirt roads, the trailer felt great behind my Jeep.

4) The trailer's tire PSI was too high to begin with. It was set a 25, and when loaded and driving off of a dirt road onto paved, I noticed that the outside of the MTR's lugs were not showing wear (like doing a chalk test), so I lowered the PSI to 20.

5) On the interstates (mostly on the way home), I could do 70 mph, but chose to keep it down to 65 mph. I felt better about keeping the Jeep and trailer in the lane when hitting rough patches of road. Outside of Lansing, the highway was very "wavy" to where semi trailers in front of me were bouncing, and so were my Jeep and the trailer. We all slowed down to 55 mph for about 5 miles. I'm not saying that the Jeep is unstable, just that you know that they get pushed around easy from wind, bumps in the road, acts of God, you name it!

6) Passing semis from the other direction didn't move the trailer around at all.

7) I don't have a clue what the trailer weighs, but I can still move it around by hand when it's loaded, but still, I don't think I'd want to tow much more then it weighs. (Say 600 lbs.?) I'd never attempt to tow at the TJ's max tow weight. (As I had stuff in my Jeep as well, and my wife.)

8) The TJ's 4.0 tows a lot better then my wife's KJ with it's 3.7. I kept off the overdrive for the entire trip, and even experienced a record 14.7 mpg on one trip that was mostly 55 mph on a two-lane road. The 4.0 has lots of grunt and never sounded like it was running too hard.

9) Due to the cool weather (in the 60s mostly), I did not hear the Derale transmission cooler that I had installed last year run at all on this trip.

10) The weight of the trailer brought down the back end of the Jeep by 1/2". Should I consider 1/2" spacers in the rear if I tow a lot more? I did not feel like the front was pointing to the sky at all. (I have OME HD springs.)

11) Having the extra room that this trailer has brought is great! Everything but my cooler in this picture below came from inside the trailer.

12) Having additional battery power is a nice option. I didn't use it for more then charging iPhones and my MacBook for this trip, but it's still nice to have. What else can I power?

And... the best fresh white fish can be found at Brown's in Paradise, MI. But note that if they don't have a good morning's catch, then they won't open for the day.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 10-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #34
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up. Thanks for sharing. Ive got plans as well to do this as well. Planning on doing a Wrangler tub trailer. But narrowed and shortened to about the same size as yours.....then do a Moab trip as well. But that is a ways out for me. Still lots of work to do.
Eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
jjgum
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome trailer. Very nice looking tj as well!
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #36
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good looking trailer , glad to see it works well for camping out of .
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #37
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Lastest updates...

I have installed a trailer battery charging module. This is pretty cool! Not only will it isolate the trailer and vehicle batteries when not charging, but it also won't start charging the trailer's battery until the vehicle's battery is fully charged, and then it will cut off charging the trailer's battery once it's fully charged. Nice! (I mounted it on the side of the battery box.)

details on this? Manufacturer? Cost? where you got it?

This is something I'm interested in for my camper, only issue is not getting enough amperage to the battery for it to bubble, and scrub the plates, but for intermittent charging or longer trips it should be a huge help.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #38
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:

10) The weight of the trailer brought down the back end of the Jeep by 1/2". Should I consider 1/2" spacers in the rear if I tow a lot more? I did not feel like the front was pointing to the sky at all. (I have OME HD springs.)

12) Having additional battery power is a nice option. I didn't use it for more then charging iPhones and my MacBook for this trip, but it's still nice to have. What else can I power?
10) You could always use load leveling shocks, that's what I did.

You can see I used to have negative rake: Very subtle, but the back of the jeep was lowered quite a bit. notice how close the tires are. I used to rub if i hit a whoomp on the highway. Rubbing at 70mph sucks.

New setup with Monroe Sensa Track Load Leveling shocks

Now when i put the camper on there, the hitch only drops 1/2"

I was pretty impressed with that! It still rides really well on the road, but it DEFINITELY made the back of the truck sit a little higher.

Or have you looked into the possibility of some simple air shocks? Pump em up when you put the trailer on.

ooooor, dont worry about it because 1/2" isnt very much lol.

12) Blender.

Margarita's on the trail or at the camp site are great.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 11-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #39
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Marns, as far as the battery charging module, it's the TBCM-40A and just call the manufacturer directly and ask for their sales. I think it was $70 with shipping. Not cheap, but I had it recommended by travel trailer guys to yes keep the battery from overcharging should something go wrong. Atkinson Electronics, Inc. at 801-261-3600.

UPDATE: Link to module: http://www.atkinsonelectronics.com/m...s/TBCM-40A.asp

Thanks for the recommendation on the shocks. I may put some more weight on the trailer in the future, such as a roof top tent (like the 95# Ayer Tepui tent). I am driving to Utah end of next summer and I will carry some extra water and a jerry can too. So I'll look into that idea.

That is a nice idea about the blender! Cool stuff like that would be awesome! Ha! Currently I have the battery and inverter inside the trailer. I'm thinking about putting a small box on the front and move the battery there, and then put a power outlet on the box for easier access to plug in from outside. Trailers are cool!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Last edited by grogie; 05-13-2014 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Added module link.
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #40
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Have you looked at this Roof top tent ? Seems like a really good deal .

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...dproduct=-5630

$699.00
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #41
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Have you looked at this Roof top tent ? Seems like a really good deal . http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...dproduct=-5630 $699.00
It's a good one, ARB copy and half the jingle

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #42
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Yes, nice price. The Ayer Tepui tent is about that price too, and it's a little lighter at 95#. I will probably have to install some additional bars on top of the trailer to mount the tent to.

With my recent trip to the Michigan U.P., I have gone to cots and air mattresses, which just take up room in the tent and in the trailer/Jeep. An RTT just sounds nice being quick to open and off the ground. I think I'd use it a lot!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 11-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #43
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie
^Yes, nice price. The Ayer Tepui tent is about that price too, and it's a little lighter at 95#. I will probably have to install some additional bars on top of the trailer to mount the tent to. With my recent trip to the Michigan U.P., I have gone to cots and air mattresses, which just take up room in the tent and in the trailer/Jeep. An RTT just sounds nice being quick to open and off the ground. I think I'd use it a lot!
I definitely love mine, very comfortable

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #44
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
^Marns, as far as the battery charging module, it's the TBCM-40A and just call the manufacturer directly and ask for their sales. I think it was $70 with shipping. Not cheap, but I had it recommended by travel trailer guys to yes keep the battery from overcharging should something go wrong. Atkinson Electronics, Inc. at 801-261-3600.

Thanks for the recommendation on the shocks. I may put some more weight on the trailer in the future, such as a roof top tent (like the 95# Ayer Tepui tent). I am driving to Utah end of next summer and I will carry some extra water and a jerry can too. So I'll look into that idea.

That is a nice idea about the blender! Cool stuff like that would be awesome! Ha! Currently I have the battery and inverter inside the trailer. I'm thinking about putting a small box on the front and move the battery there, and then put a power outlet on the box for easier access to plug in from outside. Trailers are cool!
My buddy is running a canadian M101, with a RTT, and he put a small tongue box on it and is running a small inverter as well. Would def be cool with external switches and something like an outdoor power outlet on the outside of the box or trailer!

Unfortunately the campah only has a converter so no AC without shore power for me, but I chose to run my inverter inside the jeep permanently mounted, that way I have AC even without the trailer for blenders and phones and lights and stuff. I have also charged drill batteries, run a dremel, things like that. Christmas lights too are fun when camping, (the LED ones draw little power).

May be worth considering running one in the jeep as well or I guess if you dont permanently mount yours you can take it or leave it.

Quote:

Unread 11-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
My buddy is running a canadian M101, with a RTT, and he put a small tongue box on it and is running a small inverter as well. Would def be cool with external switches and something like an outdoor power outlet on the outside of the box or trailer!
Okay, that sounds like a good trailer project to work on this winter! I really like that idea with the outside outlet.

I also would like to have a mount for a propane tank as my wife recently bought me a Campfire in a Can! (Which will be nice to have for when places out west have campfire bans.)

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.