New 24 ft camper. Grand cherokee preparation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > New 24 ft camper. Grand cherokee preparation

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
cmp77
2003 WJ 

New 24 ft camper. Grand cherokee preparation

Elmo. I recently bought a 24 foot 4500 pound camper. I have a 4.7L 2003 grand Cherokee and am wondering what some good things I can do to help prepare my jeep for the new increased load. My pop up was only 2000. All I want are your opinions !!! Thank you !

cmp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
cmp77
2003 WJ 

Hello. Not Elmo**
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
MuttJockey

Check the 2003 "Trailerlife" Towing Guide to verify this yourself, but if your GC is an automatic, it should handle a 4000 lb trailer with room to spare. Good stuff to install are:

- Brake controller with inertia/momentum capability
- Weight equalizing hitch
- Class III receiver
- Heavy-duty shocks
- Trailer sway bar

Put these on a 20' Niagara popup (4000+ lb) that I hauled with a 4.6L Expedition and never regretted it.
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
cmp77
2003 WJ 

Excellent answer/ suggestions. Thanks !
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had an 01 grand with an I6. I towed a 3,000lb trailer with it for about a year. The trailer pushed the grand around pretty good. I didn't like so I sold it and got a 4Runner and it did much better.

I didn't use a sway bar or equalizer hitch with it, it did have trailer brakes. Getting a better hitch setup like MuttJockey suggest would be a very good idea.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

Wdh is a must with that much weight. Keeping OD off may also help with handling, engine braking, extending tour tranny life, peak engine power and gas consumption.

Sent from my Raul iPhone using JeepForum
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Indy

I've got an 04 gc with the HO 4.7/towing package. If you don't have the towing package your engine/tranny/rear end isn't going to be real happy after a while.

The best prep I could think of for my rig and a 24' camper is to buy a truck. I'd rather spend 2k on an older f250 than tow that long/heavy with a gc. Which is why I spent 2k on an older f250

All kidding aside I used to flat tow my rig and camper tow using my 01 f150 and never had an issue even with a couple panic stops on the interstate. The same towed items at 40 behind my gc and it was a non-stop fight every time I touched the brakes. It does does do fine with my pop-up camper though. And I had a 20' flatbed that it did ok with, but it was never loaded heavy when I used it. Just hauling long lumber etc.

Assuming you have the tow package at a minimum you'll need good brakes on the trailer, a good controller wired in (don't think the gc has built in provisions), WD hitch, sway controller would be nice.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp77 View Post
Hello. Not Elmo**
Click the 'edit' button at the bottom of the post and you can fix typos.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think the best mod you can do is to drop the ring and pinion ration. For example if you look at truck specs, they usually increase the tow 1000lbs per .5 ring/gear ratio decrease. So the 3.21, 3.73, 4.1 would be 7k, 8k, 9k pounds.

The next thing to look at is the rear springs and what the tongue weight is. If it squats the rig down too far, you will need to something to compensate.

Also, as mentioned, the auto is the transmission you want to have (which I think you do) I would add a temp gauge to it so you can monitor that. Once the temp of the ATF gets to a certain temp, it breaks down and stops doing its job. If you have ever towed something and smelled burning ATF, you can bet that it was over heated and is now a compromised lubricant.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

I added an aux tranny cooler to mine for added cooling when towing the travel trailer. Remember the wind resistance if a full height trailer does not compare to that of a pop-up. I leaned that pretty quick. Also, say buh bye to mpg. I'm around 9-11 mpg with the TT.

Sent from my Raul iPhone using JeepForum
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.