need opinions on tow rig. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > need opinions on tow rig.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #61
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I googled the vin# and a carfax report came up. It doesn't say they have been changed. I would imagine a dealer would have most likely have performed the work if they were changed and if they did it would have been reported. I may see if they will change them as part of me buying it even though I know they're not going to go for it.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #62
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Its not a "huge" deal but its not a cheap one. There are supposed to be some new injectors that came out last year IIRC that are supposed to have a much longer service life. We kept the fuel filters changed out every 10k miles and get 120k to 150k on each set. Thats really the only issue we have with them. They run great when the injectors are good. We never had any issues with them overheating. They have decided to let them go after the second set of injectors croak so the last of our LB7s should be exiting the fleet within the next year. I know the prices are still a little high, but the LMMs are really great. I freaking love mine. The DPF is easy enough to dump and there is no urea injection BS to deal with like the LMLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #63
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Car fax won’t tell you if injectors have been done, get a oasis check from a dealer. check for fuel in the oil (cracked injector body) and check balance rates (bad injector tip). I'm doing my LB7 injectors now, it’s a PITA for sure.
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #64
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just figured a dealer would have reported doing it, I know they report servicing the vehicles to carfax. I'll check with a dealer but I think I'm just going to keep looking for one I can pay cash for. I just need to find a replacement truck soon but need to have patience doing so.

Unread 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #65
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you go look at the truck, a quick and dirty way to check for fuel in the oil is let a couple drops off the dip stick hit a clean white paper towel and see if you get a ring around it like this.

That is assuming he did not change the oil before he put it up for sale.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #66
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
If the OP is like me, there is no logic to support a diesel, but that doesn't mean I don't like em, and will probably end up with one.
Yeppers. Ive had diesel, i really like diesels, but when i decided i needed another heavy hauler i went witha gasser 460. It hauls twice what i need and sucks on mpg. But 2k cash and 10/month to insure. It lives in thedriveway except when needed. Compared to dropping a grand a month in payments and insurance every month, theres no reason in the world to do otherwise.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #67
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
If you go look at the truck, a quick and dirty way to check for fuel in the oil is let a couple drops off the dip stick hit a clean white paper towel and see if you get a ring around it like this.

That is assuming he did not change the oil before he put it up for sale.
hmmm that looks familiar lol
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #68
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What do you guys know about an 08 Ford 6.4?

Unread 12-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #69
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Only negative thing ive heard about the 08 PS 6.4 was an issue with the DPF appropriately nicknamed "the flamethrower". But its something they can fix with a comp update. Other than that...they make great power and are not a bad choice at all. In all fairness, the DPF system blows, no matter what vehicle its installed on.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #70
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I read up a little on them, it said the DPF kills the MPG. There are delete kits available for them, I just need to check what I have to do for emissions, not sure if that truck has to be inspected every year like my gasser does, I was just worried that it was another 6.0.

My GF informed me Saturday that her cousin owns a small car lot and deals in a lot of trucks. I spoke to him and he can get me an 08 extended cab, 2wd, 6.4, XLT, long bed pretty much loaded, PW, PL, PM etc except it has a rubber floor (which I want) with around 170k for $8500-$10K. They are fleet vehicles, he gets them from the fleet companies and they have all maintence records as well. He's going to look for one this week, he had one on the lot but sold it Saturday morning about 30 minutes before she called him. He said he has never had one sit on the lot more than 2 days.

Unread 12-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #71
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I read up a little on them, it said the DPF kills the MPG. There are delete kits available for them, I just need to check what I have to do for emissions, not sure if that truck has to be inspected every year like my gasser does, I was just worried that it was another 6.0.
It definitely KOs the fuel mileage. To burn the soot out it shoots in excess fuel to get the temp up. If you are in stop and go traffic when the regen cycle hits, it REALLY sucks the fuel. The DPF delete pipe and programmer will run you 600 to 700 bucks total. But I think its worth it. There are several good programmer/tuners out there that will work with the DPF delete.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #72
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Don't buy a 6.0. I have had my 6.0 since the begining with minor problems. I have to say I performed several reliability upgrades because of issues other people were experiencing. The only real issues I have have been my own fault with making it go faster.
The 7.3 is a great motor that you can't go wrong with. I had one and it was great. I guess firgure what your budget can afford and go from there.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.