need opinions on tow rig. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > need opinions on tow rig.

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 12-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #31
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I've driven bigger trucks, all makes, and tow a bit at work. Most I've ever towed was a overloaded 9999 gross dump trailer, with about 6 tons of dirt in it, with a SRW f250 with a 5.4l v8....

All I can say is that 5.4 has NO business being in a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton truck. Go for your 7.3 as i have heard great things about it.

That being said, I've driven DRW trucks too, and all I know is I would never want to own one unless i absolutely needed one, because they are a PITA to drive in traffic and to park.
Youre kidding right. Maybe no business in a 1 ton but its a great 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton engine. My GF owns an F250 with it and I own a V10 F350. I hauled as much weight in hay and it towed like a champ (n her truck before I got mine). Gotta know how to drive a modular engine. High revving little guys.... I do not expect a 5.4 in an F350 (granted there are a few).

And with that being said I am so unimpressed with the 7.3 its almost laughable.

ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #32
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

For a trailer hauler that is not going to be a daily driver, a 7.3 is the obvious answer, preferably a turbo. It just can't be beat for a combination of price, reliability and hauling pleasure. If money is no object, maybe the choices widen, but as long as price is a factor, that's the rig.

As for 4WD, I don't think I ever one time had a 4wd rig engaged in 4wd with a loaded trailer on it. Of course, I am in favor of 4WD pickups generally, but as a dedicated trailer hauler I don't think it makes much difference. .
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #33
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
How often will it bedriven? How often will you actually tow? How much weight?
If the OP is like me, there is no logic to support a diesel, but that doesn't mean I don't like em, and will probably end up with one.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #34
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
If the OP is like me, there is no logic to support a diesel, but that doesn't mean I don't like em, and will probably end up with one.
the only use I will have for it is to tow my Jeep to the trail and when I sometimes need a truck. The trailer and Jeep weigh around 7000 pounds. My 01 Dodge 1500 w/5.2 will do it but it doesn't like to but it is on it's last leg anyway and it's time to replace it. I don't really want to buy one that I will have to make payments on because most of the time it will sit in the driveway until I have a use for it. I have a another car for a daily driver.

Here is the CL ad for the one my friend told me about.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2721423093.html

I would like a 4x4 but can't find one under $12k that doesn't have 300k on it. I don't know much about diesels other than my friends with the 7.3 don't complain about them and the guys with the 6.0 do nothing but *****. I don't want to buy a truck then spend another $3k plus on it to make it dependable. I wouldn't mind finding a 97-05 Cummins or a 2004.5-2007 duramax but nobody really seems to be selling them and the ones that are want way to much, I would be better off buying a new one. That probably says something about them.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #35
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Of course a gasser V8 will pull 7000 pounds. Really an F250 4.9l straight 6 with 4.56 gears will get the rig to the trail, but it is so so much more pleasant and relaxing to have a diesel tow rig. When it sits in the wet for 2 months and you turn the key it will spring into life. and when you are creeping up a long interstate hill in a traffic jam it will stay cool as a cucumber. If money was the only factor, diesel would not be the choice for a dedicated tow rig, but its not and most everyone I know either has a diesel tow rig or wishes they did or doesn't know enough to wish they did.
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #36
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know the truck in the link you posted is a stick, but if you buy a Diesel with an automatic transmission, you better keep some $$ in the budget for a transmission rebuild. I personally, wouldn't have a problem with a stick. However, the Wife thinks she **might** like to drive truck a few times a year and she does nothing but automatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
the only use I will have for it is to tow my Jeep to the trail and when I sometimes need a truck. The trailer and Jeep weigh around 7000 pounds. My 01 Dodge 1500 w/5.2 will do it but it doesn't like to but it is on it's last leg anyway and it's time to replace it. I don't really want to buy one that I will have to make payments on because most of the time it will sit in the driveway until I have a use for it. I have a another car for a daily driver.

Here is the CL ad for the one my friend told me about.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2721423093.html

I would like a 4x4 but can't find one under $12k that doesn't have 300k on it. I don't know much about diesels other than my friends with the 7.3 don't complain about them and the guys with the 6.0 do nothing but *****. I don't want to buy a truck then spend another $3k plus on it to make it dependable. I wouldn't mind finding a 97-05 Cummins or a 2004.5-2007 duramax but nobody really seems to be selling them and the ones that are want way to much, I would be better off buying a new one. That probably says something about them.
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #37
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep
I know the truck in the link you posted is a stick, but if you buy a Diesel with an automatic transmission, you better keep some $$ in the budget for a transmission rebuild. I personally, wouldn't have a problem with a stick. However, the Wife thinks she **might** like to drive truck a few times a year and she does nothing but automatics.
No problem with the current GF, she can drive a stick. It's reaching the pedals she has a problem with!

Anyone have any suggestions on it, anything I should look for? I'm going to try and look at it tomorrow but my schedule is crazy right now. I also have my mothers Christmas party to go too which doesn't help and missing that is one of the seven deadly sins! Missing family events is a straight ticket to hell!

Unread 12-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #38
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No problem with the current GF, she can drive a stick. It's reaching the pedals she has a problem with!

Anyone have any suggestions on it, anything I should look for? I'm going to try and look at it tomorrow but my schedule is crazy right now. I also have my mothers Christmas party to go too which doesn't help and missing that is one of the seven deadly sins! Missing family events is a straight ticket to hell!
I posted the link to Powerstroke help dot com.. there is a video on buying a used Ford 7.3L diesel truck. Takes a little work to filter the good information from the junk, but there is some really good information about checking blow by, looking for broken manifold bolts (sign engine has been run hard & hot), and getting an idea if truck has an injector issue ($$).
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #39
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I posted the link to Powerstroke help dot com.. there is a video on buying a used Ford 7.3L diesel truck. Takes a little work to filter the good information from the junk, but there is some really good information about checking blow by, looking for broken manifold bolts (sign engine has been run hard & hot), and getting an idea if truck has an injector issue ($$).
cool, ZI'll check it out. Thanks.

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #40
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
cool, ZI'll check it out. Thanks.

The really scary thing about diesel trucks is all the repairs seem to start at 2K and go up from there. I have never owned a vehicle where 2k for a repair was considered cheap...
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #41
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The really scary thing about diesel trucks is all the repairs seem to start at 2K and go up from there. I have never owned a vehicle where 2k for a repair was considered cheap...
One post after another of yours implies a great deal of repair for these rigs or at least the fear of it. I know at least 10 guys who have or have had 7.3 Fords and I don't know a single one who has replaced a transmission or even had the cylinder heads off. Where do you get this? Is this from personal experience? If you are just doing Internet searches on 7.3 repairs, understand that this was one of the most popular and well used rigs. I'd venture that the average 7.3 in use today has 250,000 miles on it. Many have twice that. So seeing a lot of anecdotal references to transmission repairs or head bolts or whatnot means very little. People who actually owned these 7.3's swear by them, your predictions of trouble notwithstanding.
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #42
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I checked out the powerstroke help link and just spoke with Scott, seems like a nice guy. His shop isn't too far from where I live and he told me he would be happy to look the truck over for me.

Unread 12-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #43
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ford auto trans pre torque shift are known to be a little weak (the ones behind the 7.3) but seem to hold up ok if you don’t beat on them (I really don’t know much about the E4OD and 4R100s). The early dodge autos are crap-I can’t remember off the top of my head when dodge got it right with an auto but it was late in the game. Allison autos are strong until you turn the engine up, you can’t adjust the line/clutch pressures electronically in a Allison like the torque shift so they do great stock but not so much with much over a +100HP program in it.
Here is what you have to watch for-programing. I can take a stock 2010 truck (any brand) and flash the ECM with a stupid hot program that will add 200 HP and almost 400 ftlb to it, hook it up to a trailer and precede to run my EGTs over 2000, melt the pistons, burn the turbo turbine and burn every clutch in the transmission in about 90 seconds. People think that their little $500 programmer is the greatest thing out there, and don’t build the rest of the truck to hold the power. If you are buying a used truck and it has one on there STAY AWAY! Only way I would buy it if I knew the guy was smart and not pushing the truck.
Sooo here is IMO what you are looking at:
Don’t buy a truck that has a programmer on it unless you know the guy…….
7.3-old, underpowered compared to the new stuff, but holds up well. Auto trans might need some work if it has had a hard life
6.0-lots of issues with the HPOP and HG, the rest of the truck is strong
6.4- some early ones had issues with overheating, but IIRC ford fixed it, they seem to be a strong truck. Has a DPF on it so it has bad fuel mileage.
Chevy-LB7s(01-04.5) had injectors issues, they last about 80-100K then its about 2K in parts and a full weekend to work on it, but very strong besides that.
LLY 04.5-05 are known to have weaker HG (but if you run stock power levels it’s not an issue). They also have an overheating issue due to the air intake-it is a simple and somewhat cheap fix.
LLY/LBZ 06-07.5. Same thing as the 04.5-05 just different programing and minor changes. This is where they went to the 6 speed (vs 5) Allison.
LMM-07.5-10 strong engines
LMLs-10-now. I don’t like them b/c the locked the ECM so we cant play with EFI live-bastards!
Dodge-I know the least about the dodges but here you go-
First and second gen 89-93/93-98 were 12V, and had weak auto trans. They went to a 24V in 98.5 and then a common rail in 03. In 07.5 they went to the new 6.7. I’m not sure when they went to a good trans, but next time I talk to my brother Ill ask him (he’s into the dodges)

Hope this helps
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #44
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I checked out the powerstroke help link and just spoke with Scott, seems like a nice guy. His shop isn't too far from where I live and he told me he would be happy to look the truck over for me.
If he was close to me, I'd spend a little $$ with him and have his shop look over a truck before I bought it.
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #45
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
One post after another of yours implies a great deal of repair for these rigs or at least the fear of it. I know at least 10 guys who have or have had 7.3 Fords and I don't know a single one who has replaced a transmission or even had the cylinder heads off. Where do you get this? Is this from personal experience? If you are just doing Internet searches on 7.3 repairs, understand that this was one of the most popular and well used rigs. I'd venture that the average 7.3 in use today has 250,000 miles on it. Many have twice that. So seeing a lot of anecdotal references to transmission repairs or head bolts or whatnot means very little. People who actually owned these 7.3's swear by them, your predictions of trouble notwithstanding.
You are talking to a guy who may end up owning a diesel truck. I can't aford new, so I'll have to pay cash for whatever and because of the limited cash available, I know that I am looking at a truck that will probably be 10 years old and have 200k on the clock. I'm okay with this.... I never said that there was a problem with one diesel or another... I like the 5.9L Cummins, but finding one in my price range maybe an issue. I like the 7.3L and agree they are a nice truck, but even a good truck is going to need some $$TLC$$ at 200k. Valve pumps, lift pumps, injectors, turbos, and transmissions all are like brake pads, sooner or later, they are going to need to be replaced. Finding a 10 year old truck that hasn't had a programer in it at one time or another is probably an impossible task. I'm a Jeeper, just about everyone I know has one brand of a truck or another.. gas/diesel/Ford/Chevy/Dodge, it don't matter, they all have advantages and disadvantages, they all need service and repair... considering they are big trucks that were purchased to haul loads, you can pretty well assume that they all have done more than just haul groceries (grin). I have a neighbor who has owned the same 7.3L for probably 10 years (it was less than 2 Y/O when he got it). This truck has never been abused and is only used to haul his boat to the lake and back, yet even he had to have the transmission rebuilt at approximately 170k. In fact, I have been telling my neighbor I want first dibs if he ever sells this truck. I have owned the same WJ since 2000 and have never spent more than $500 - $600 on a single repair on it, so to think that a valve pump in a Cummins could cost $1,500 plus for the part will take a little getting use to. Notice, I didn't say I wouldn't purchase the diesel because of this, just that I would have to get use to (if there is such a thing) to the repair cost (when needed) being higher than what I typically spend.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.