need opinions on tow rig. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > need opinions on tow rig.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lol one more jab at the 6.0, they are really bad about blowing head gaskets, lots of guys have to do them and ARP studs... ok Im done picking on ford....

Unread 12-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #17
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

One thing for sure, the 6.0L had to be a very expensive mistake to Ford.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #18
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well they wouldn't come down to my price. I spoke with the dealer we buy all our company vehicles from, they told me what to pay for it. I'll keep looking and they are also looking. I won't buy a Ford with anything other than the 7.3. I have several friends with the 6.0, all years and all ***** about them. I'll go with the Cummins or Duramax if I can't get a decent 7.3.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #19
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
One thing for sure, the 6.0L had to be a very expensive mistake to Navistar.
Fixed

I wouldn't completely write off the 6.0. The early model years were not so good (2003-2004) but the later ones were much better. People seem to thing late model 7.3s (01-03) are gold mines and subsequently they are way overpriced. You can get an 05 6.0 with all the options around here for the same price you can get an 01 similarly equipped with double the miles. I'd rather spend the money on a newer truck, even knowing I am going to need to invest $2-3k into it to make it bulletproof reliable (Head studs, EGR cooler, tune). The fact of the matter is, when you make these couple of upgrades to the 6.0 the 7.3 can't hold a candle in the wind to it, it makes substantially less power and among other things it rides like **** compared to the coil-sprung setup on the 6.0s.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^ very true, if you get a 05 do the HG/head studs, turn off the EGR, fix that connect output on the HPOP, about 20 hours of work and (guessing) 3k in parts and you fix the 05 6.0. To the OP, the duramax is a great engine, the LB7s have injector issues (01-04.5) but after that it is just minor stuff that chevy messed up (I think it’s the LLY 6.6 that has a bad intake) but no major issues. the 7.3 is a great engine but if you look at the HP/Tq he is 100% right. I will say that the 6.0 ran strong when it was running
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #21
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So a friend of a friend is selling his 99 250 super cab 2wd because he lost his job and needs the money. He said its in good shape. Top of the line with all the gadgets, leather, 7.3, 6 speed with 185k on it. What is a fair price for it? He told my friend to tell me to come look at it and make an offer. I want to be fair to both of us.

Unread 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #22
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
So a friend of a friend is selling his 99 250 super cab 2wd because he lost his job and needs the money. He said its in good shape. Top of the line with all the gadgets, leather, 7.3, 6 speed with 185k on it. What is a fair price for it? He told my friend to tell me to come look at it and make an offer. I want to be fair to both of us.
Regular cab, 2wd... Are you going to get off pavement with this truck, like in gravel? If so that 2wd is going to be a Real pain.....
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #23
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep

Regular cab, 2wd... Are you going to get off pavement with this truck, like in gravel? If so that 2wd is going to be a Real pain.....
It's an extended cab. It will go off road on gravel, grass only. Is it just f250 trucks because I've have friends that tow with 2wd trucks and go off pavement without any problems.

Unread 12-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #24
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's an extended cab. It will go off road on gravel, grass only. Is it just f250 trucks because I've have friends that tow with 2wd trucks and go off pavement without any problems.
That diesel engine weighs a couple tons, not anything to compare to a gas engine. The Extended cab is a little more $$ than a regular cab. Depending upon the mods, the condition of the truck, tires, paint finish, etc., I would estimate the truck to be $10k +/- but it is hard to say because so little is known about the truck.
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #25
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My friend says it's in great shape. The truck is pretty much stock, the paint and interior are in good shape. He says the guy has taken care of the truck. He thinks I should offer $6500 for it if I like it. That's seems to be in the ball park on Craigslist, $6000 to $10000

Unread 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #26
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My friend says it's in great shape. The truck is pretty much stock, the paint and interior are in good shape. He says the guy has taken care of the truck. He thinks I should offer $6500 for it if I like it. That's seems to be in the ball park on Craigslist, $6000 to $10000
Seems a little low to me even for a 2wd, but prices differ greatly from one area to another. Go look at it, if you like it, offer $6,500 and see what happens. Seller may want/need to price it for a real quick sale. You can sit here and play what if all day long, but you can't work a deal until you and seller are face to face and this assumes that seller even has something you desire.
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #27
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to look at it this weekend but may keep looking for a 4x4.

Unread 12-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm going to look at it this weekend but may keep looking for a 4x4.
I too am kicking around the truck idea,,, the bigger cab seems to be required for me as Grandkid and other are usually in my vehicle so a regular cab just won't work for me... even though I like the price on some of the 2wd, regular cabs. The 4x4 in a Jeep hauler is also something I don't think I can live without, but I do love the prices of the 2wd. I am not sure that I even will do the diesel instead of a gas engine. All I really know, is I'll never buy a Dodge 5.7 Hemi
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #29
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My dad has owned a bunch of 2wd, and with good tires they do ok in the grass. At the same time, our DRW trucks would get stuck in wet grass (no really, wet grass) with street tires on it. With a good set on the back you can do a decent amount with 2wd in the diesel truck IMO
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #30
Indy

How often will it bedriven? How often will you actually tow? How much weight?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.