need opinions on tow rig. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > need opinions on tow rig.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been looking for a tow rig/ work / all around truck for a while. It will not be a daily driver. They are both in great shape, which would you choose and why?

The first is a 96 F250 7.3 w/191k on it for $4800. It is pretty much a top of the line truck.

5y05p05r43n63k33m9bc490f10b9967bd15e4.jpg

5y25p65x63n23kf3pebc41971c9b97cf91ea3.jpg

The second is a F350 7.3 dully w/117k for $6500. It is pretty much just a bottom of the line truck. Vinyl bench seat, manual Windows, locks and such.

forumrunner_20111204_204940.jpg

forumrunner_20111204_204927.jpg  

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
AirborneCav
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The white dually! I have an 01 F350 crew cab 4x4 and that thing will pull a house. I also get 15MPG with it pulling a horse trailer. The white dually has opening rear doors and larger rear view mirrors.
ford-f350-2001-trailer-june-3-2011-2.jpg  
[CENTER][B][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][COLOR="Silver"]SILVER JEEP MEMBER #15[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

When its time to clean up... [url]http://www.detailedimage.com[/url]
AirborneCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've had both trucks and either one will make a great tow rig. The best choice you could make in your price range. But if you don't need a dually don't get one. A dually makes a great rig for a gooseneck pulling 15000 or so. The F250 will pull a heavy trailer with one rig just fine, will be a little cheaper and easier to maneuver.
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I really wasn't looking for a dually, I just ran across it. The other truck is a little older than I want but for the money is a great truck. It's in pretty good shape but I get the feeling it has been "used" a little and they're trying to cover it up or they let some things go on it and fixed them when they decided to sell it, don't really know, I just have that feeling. I will probably pass on it and keep looking. I just don't know if I really want a dually either even though it's a great truck and the owner seems to be pretty straight forward on what he used it for, hauling his bobcat and such.

Unread 12-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I would personally not buy any truck thats not a 4x4. And I would only buy the dually if you need having dual wheels. Which unless you are hauling a huge 5th wheel or a gooseneck with absurd amounts of weight you dont need a dually. I advise against one as anything but a dedicated heavy hauler.

I have a friend that hauls scrap with a SRW short bed cummins. Grosses usually at 26 or 28k. Max at 32k and thats pulling over the pass.

I have an F350 SRW V10 and its my Jeep hauler. Never a need for a dual wheel. When I get the gooseneck hitch and hook up to my friends 25 footer I know I still wont want dual wheels when I am towing two jeeps.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Indy

Insurance will be higher for a 1 ton than for a 3/4, at least that's state farm. I wouldn't own a 2wd truck either, it cuts down on the utility quite a bit around here.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have been kicking around the truck idea as well. What I have learned is the 7.3L is the desired Ford engine if you want diesel. Diesel engine are heavy.... I mean heavy.... if you get off pavement at all, gravel, grass, etc.,. with a diesel, you will want 4x4 as a little dew on the ground and they will be stuck. Anytime you talk about buying a used diesel with an automatic transmission in it, you best keep 3k in a transmission fund because you will need it. If you have never seen them, www dot powerstrokehelp dot com has some real good videos on the Ford diesel trucks.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've driven bigger trucks, all makes, and tow a bit at work. Most I've ever towed was a overloaded 9999 gross dump trailer, with about 6 tons of dirt in it, with a SRW f250 with a 5.4l v8....

All I can say is that 5.4 has NO business being in a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton truck. Go for your 7.3 as i have heard great things about it.

That being said, I've driven DRW trucks too, and all I know is I would never want to own one unless i absolutely needed one, because they are a PITA to drive in traffic and to park.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm bypassing both these trucks, I was looking at something I could just pay cash for but that might not be the way to go. I still have one more truck I'm going to look at, a 2000 F250 crew cab 4x4 but it has 205K on it. A friend looked at it the other day, thinks it's in great shape but they asking $9900 for it. Might be a little more than I want to pay for it.

If I don't like that one I'm heading to a local Dodge dealer and looking at a 08 2500 4x4 quad cab with the 6.7 ( I think) in it. It is a top of the line truck minus leather interior, it has 74K on it and they're asking $27K for it. If I can get them down to around $22 I will buy it. Thinking of taking the GF with me, she loves to argue and they will probably drop the price just to get me to take her away.

Unread 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just don't buy a 6.0L ford (03-07) trust me lol
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The old 7.3s are underpowered compared to the new stuff, but they are great engines. If it was me stay away from trucks with the DPF on them, (08ish to 10) as they get bad fuel mileage unless you do a DPF delete. thats just my 2 cents take it for what its worth
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeso
Trust you because you actually have experience with them our because everyone says they are ****?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeso View Post
Read post #7.... Bill at Powerstroke help has about 6 videos in his free section about the differences between the 7.3L and the 6.0L... His view is that the 6.0L is an engineering marvel.... with one major flaw. The 6.0L was designed in Europe by some of the top diesel engineers in the World... The problem is, in Europe, the diesel fuel is highly refined and it is very clean compared to what is sold in the USA.... the 6.0L just cannot stand up to the crud left by our diesel fuel on a long term basis. No one thought this information was something the designers of the 6.0L might need to know. This is just another example of a Manufacturer spending an untold amount of $$$ to build and design a product that is not suitable for the area they desire to sell it in.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
Trust you because you actually have experience with them our because everyone says they are ****?
Both, I gave one away and lost lots of money. Great trucks, but lots of issues with the HPOP system.
If you guys care, early trucks had pumps that would push high pressure fuel to each one of the injectors. All modern trucks have a common rail, which provides HP fuel to a rail, and the injectors fire when they need to from the rail. The 6.0 went with a low pressure fuel rail, and used oil to pressurize the fuel at the injector. Early 6.0s had lots of issues with quality, and lots of issues with the high pressure oil pump (in the valley under the turbo so PITA to mess with). 05s have issues with a output line in the same spot (real PITA to fix). I think the 06s were ok, but not a fan of the 6.0....
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also lots of issues with the EGR, but most diesel trucks have issues with the EGR.... the 6.0 had turbo issues early on but they fixed it with programing (would have the turbo vanes sweep at idle to keep them moving free). Now to bash on my current truck, chevy's LB7 (01-04.5) had issues with cracking injector bodies-OEM go bad at about 80-90K and new injectors go for about 150K

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.