Need Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Need Help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Marijke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Need Help

I currently drive a TJ Jeep manual, however its almost time to retire it. Due to the fact i will need a more spacious jeep. However, we just bought a coleman travel trailer.

GVWR 3850
Unloaded Weight 3156
Hitch Weight 460

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a jeep for me that can pull the trailer along with a great hunting vehicle. and would it be better if i got a manual or automatic if i am wanting to tow? It would be greatly appreciated.

Marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I don't remember the TJ tow specs but its close to that. A J series pickup, XJ or a grand would be able to pull that trailer. I think the newer wranglers also have a high tow rating. As for the trans it all depends what you like. A auto will save you from shifting is the biggest difference.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Only the Wrangler Unlimiteds are rated to tow 3500 lbs. Short wheelbase Wranglers are 2K lbs. or less. GCs should be able to handle that fine. Really depends on what your budget is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

An LJ (TJ Unlimited) is rated to tow that, but I'd be hesitant to do so with one. It's just not the ideal tow vehicle. If you were going to do so, I'd recommend using some form of sway control to keep it in line.

But if you're going to buy a different Jeep to tow with, consider a Grand Cherokee. You ought to be able to pick one up used with a decent tow rating.

The WK2 (2010–present) is rated 7,400 lb for Hemi models and 5,000 lb for Pentastar models.
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tow Vehicle?

If you upgrade your vehicle to tow the trailer, try to find a vehicle with the factory installed tow package. Usually this includes and additional transmission cooler, 4prong or 7 prong electrical outlets and different gear ratios. Don't tow this trailer with a TJ. A GC would do the job, but as always a pickup would be better.
bbacus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.