Need to buy a trailer! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
chainz
1976 CJ5 

Need to buy a trailer!

I have a 2004 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.0 extended cab. I need to buy a trailer for my CJ-5 what do you guys recommended? I was thinking a trailer with a 16 foot deck would work but I don't have much experience with towing so I wanted to ask you guys first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The difference in cost and weight between a 16 and an 18 is negligible. But with the 2 extra feet you will have many more tie down options, be able to balance your rig on the trailer and in a pinch you can throw an ATV or a set of tires on it also.

On this subject, most of the 16 foot trailers I've seen have Jeeps tied down by the axles. This is because there is no decent angle from the tow points to the trailer. You need an angle for stability. Straight up and down doesn;t work. I ask you: would you drag your rig out of the creek by the axles? I'm guessing no. So you really should not be tying it down by the axles. Its really the exact same thing.

So I say 18.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #3 of 5 Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

X2 on an 18'. I have an 18' and I have room for my rig and my spare and tool boxes in front of her.

79 CJ5. 258, T-18A, D20. 33s
08 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW DD/tow rig

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 AM
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with 18 foot trailer... I don't agree with strapping the frame down. Its been a huge argument on many forums. I tie my jeep down by the axles. If you tie to the frame , the suspension cycleing combined with the weight of the jeep is to much for most straps. IMO
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2010, 07:16 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
I agree with 18 foot trailer... I don't agree with strapping the frame down. Its been a huge argument on many forums. I tie my jeep down by the axles. If you tie to the frame , the suspension cycleing combined with the weight of the jeep is to much for most straps. IMO

Just sayin' If you would pull your rig out of the mud pit by the axles then strap them down on the trailer. A pound of force is a pound of force. The good news is that it doesn't matter 99.99% of the time because there is not enough force with your Jeep rocking around on a trailer to harm anything. In fact you could probably just park the Jeep on the trailer without straps and it might only shimmy around a few inches. But if force is applied to the axles, it is just the same as if you would snatch it out of the mud by the axles and most folks would not do that.

I'm no engineer, but if you think about a Jeep on a trailer at 60mph making a quick stop with the assistance of something like a muddy median strip and a drainage culvert, that Jeep is actually getting a whole lot more force than a few gentle tugs by a snatch strap with another Jeep at the end of it going 2mph.

But, I'm glad we agree on the 18' trailer, I think the OP will be happy with the extra room.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.