NC to Snowmass, CO with a 30ft Gooseneck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > NC to Snowmass, CO with a 30ft Gooseneck

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
EdJonesJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

NC to Snowmass, CO with a 30ft Gooseneck

It's 1,635 miles to Snowmass
We got a full tank of Diesel
A Couple of locked Jeeps
On the goose,
Its dark and we're wearing smiles.

That's a 24 hour drive according to Google so we will probably drive shifts. Our trip will take place in August and wanted y'all's input.

What would be your favorite hardcore trails to visit?

Should we drive straight through Kansas (with tolls) or take the 1 hour longer Nebraska route?

What are some must stops on Hwy 24, 29, 70 or Hwy. 80?

Thanks and will update with pictures when we hit the road!

EdJonesJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Going to the Jeep Jamboree?
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
EdJonesJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No the jamboree is not quiet our cup of tea. We were hoping to hit some of the hardcore trails.

I stole this list off another forum. What would you change or add/subtract from this list.

1. Montrose (recreation)
2. Carnage BV (recreation)
3. Mt. Blanca (camping)
4. Holy Cross (camping)
5. 21 Road (camping)
6. Patriot (recreation)

Moab is 3.5 hours away so might skip a few of these and camp in Moab one night.
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If in August, look up Black Bear Pass opening (Telluride to Ouray) to match up. Its only open few weeks during the year due to the snow fall on very top. Its not considered hardcore, but views and narrow ridge trail can give you a new take on where you are relative to NC.

If you are going that far in travel, stay in CO. Then following year, hit Moab for a week.

If you make a trip to Moab, 2 trails right outside end of town are Moab Rim and Cliff Hanger. If you want to hit a harder trail, Pritchett Canyon is on same road west out of town, but its return is a long ride back. Many do another trail (Behind the Rocks) on the way back from Pritchett. Then there is the BFE area! Another great place to go for 'hardcore' in Moab.
Check out http://www.rr4w.com/ (RedRock 4-wheelers). Their info on trails is very supportive (http://www.rr4w.com/trails.cfm).

Since you can make a run back through CO in center CO, then hit up Buena Vista Carnage Canyon. Great way to end the trip.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
TigerRobb

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Go through Kansas. There is one toll on I-70 and it is west of Kansas City, Kansas near the Kansas motor speedway. Drive 45 miles west and pay your toll just east of Topeka, KS. Kansas raised their speed limits within the last two years or so, but they seem to have a lot of troopers, so be aware. Interesting state to drive through, but it takes a while. Colorado has three more hours of Kansas like terrain until you see the mountains. Enjoy!
TigerRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
EdJonesJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've had someone mention to take I-40 all the way to ABQ and go north from there. The scenery is supposed to be much better and should only be an extra hour. Do y'all agree?
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRobb View Post
Go through Kansas. There is one toll on I-70 and it is west of Kansas City, Kansas near the Kansas motor speedway. Drive 45 miles west and pay your toll just east of Topeka, KS. Kansas raised their speed limits within the last two years or so, but they seem to have a lot of troopers, so be aware. Interesting state to drive through, but it takes a while. Colorado has three more hours of Kansas like terrain until you see the mountains. Enjoy!
Topeka to Denver is an easy drive. I don't care for I-70 through Missouri and usually avoid it on my way to Colorado as it's just a lot of traffic.

Anyway, I've never run 21 Road but I've heard a lot about it. My parents use to live near it. Yes, drive Black Bear. Have a great trip.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.