Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My trailer Build (jski701)

5K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  jski701 
#1 ·
My Off road trailer Build _M416 copy

Ive always wanted a military trailer and had little luck finding one that didn't need to have everything replaced, even states away or across the country it wasn't an easy search, so I decided to build my own. Got the dimensions to the trailer I like, off the internet, and started planning the build. Im a cabinet guy, so the tub is a 3/4" plywood box and the trailer is a HD Harbor Freight 4'x8' folding trailer kit. When complete, the trailer and tub base will measure 41" x 72" and the only change to the dimensions I made is to make the sides 24" high instead of 19" from the military trailer plans. I used the HD trailer kit because it comes with the same lug pattern as my TJ.

My build was inspired by ArmyRn's HF little trailer build thread and jsherbr's design ideas in his Dinoot trailer thread

Ill also be adding a much simpler version of a box, that I recently built, to show how inexpensively a cargo box on a small Harbor Freight trailer can be built for fun and travels

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The trailer is almost complete, it's just now that I'm starting the thread. I called it quits after the third time I had a long post with pictures going up and the "too many users" window came up and lost it all... I may delete the whole thing if they don't fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

#12 ·
The wide boards for the sides are added after I realized I had nowhere to mount my lid supports, so these are loaded with glue, tacked in place and piled on a lot of weight overnight to press, smear and hold the glue and wood till dry.

Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle Wood stain
Table Wood Hood Automotive exterior Flooring

Table Wood Desk Wood stain Floor

#13 ·
In order to keep everything lined up, I cut 3.5" off of each side on the cross bars, originally 48" I needed to cut 7" off for a 41" width. This way all the factory holes would still line up for bolting. The side pieces are 2 - 4" lengths, so it can fold (mine won't anymore) I used 1 full length and cut one down to 2" so when bolted together they'll be 6". They got cut, drilled and I painted the edges of everything after cutting, the Final trailer size will be 41'W x 72"L

Table Wood Shelf Shelving Rectangle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Machine tool Machine
Wood Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine
Wood Naval architecture Automotive exterior Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wood Fixture Door Rectangle Floor

Wood Automotive design Motor vehicle Flooring Automotive exterior

#14 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Road surface Asphalt Line Grass Bumper

Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Font

Used one of the extra cross bars to make some corner supports, that I will also use as an attachment point to bolt the tub to the trailer.. After adding the gussets to the bottom corners of the tub there isn't any room to get the bolts into the frame, so the corner braces are necessary for mounting the tub.

Attachments

#15 ·
Food Dishware Tableware Ingredient Wood

Tableware Wood Yellow Ingredient Wood stain

This is my edge sealing technique, its glue with a little water. Add enough water to thin the glue so it can be painted on, not too watery and not real thick, kind of like a milk shake. 2-3 coats on all edges will make it so the paint won't get all sucked in.

#20 ·
Wood Gas Musical instrument accessory Medical equipment Electronic instrument
Wood Gas Musical instrument accessory Medical equipment Electronic instrument
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Bumper
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper
Finger Engineering Electrical wiring Gas Wood

Wood Gas Auto part Machine Metal

Painted up the Shackles for the new springs, Ill add more about those later. I ditched the stock short 21" slipper springs for aftermarket 28" full shackle set up for a nice ride.

The new weld is the bracket relocation under the front of the trailer. When I narrowed the trailer 3.5" on each side, I also had to move the brackets that hold the front A-Frame, in 3.5"

#23 ·
Vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas Home appliance
Wood Flooring Gas Machine Metal
Tire Wheel Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

Tailgate and lift supports for convenience.. Truth be told the lift supports weren't simple to figure out poundage wise. The lid is about 30-40lbs, not real heavy. So I guessed with 2 supports at 38lbs each it should work fine. Not so much, it made lifting the lid very easy and they held it open once I opened it all the way, but one support quit working after about 6-8 cycles opening, so I returned them to Amazon (they were really good about it) and ordered 2 50lb supports and they were better, but still didn't open the lid on their own. I had mentioned that I would do a simple box build for people wanting to make a plywood box for a trailer tub, and recently did it, so these lift supports are going on that box and I ordered 100lb supports for the trailer... still waiting on these.

#25 ·
Looks great. Glad you posted the assembly pics. Wrote a reply of encouragement the other day after you complained about the problems with the forum.........data error when I hit 'post reply'. I have seen complaints all over the board.

I have used that edge sealing technique before, works well. What are you using for a final finish to hold up to weather and road wear? Again, nice workmanship!

#26 ·
Thanks.... the finish coat is Monstaline, I sprayed it but it can be rolled. The upload was a chore to say the least, I started by picking the pictures i wanted to use and then just loading pictures, then I added some wording to the posts afterward.
I appreciate the kind words, this was something I wanted to show, as for as ease and simplicity. Ill be adding a much simpler box build, which is already posted in Armyrn's Harbor Freight trailer thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.