My tow setup - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My tow setup

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

And, on the rear, where you use two unconnected loops, using one loop allows the force to be equalized which makes it less likely that one of the binders will pop off. Just sayin'.

Unread 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have lash (sp) straps abound the binders to keep the binder from poping open if that's what ya mean
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #18
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
I have lash (sp) straps abound the binders to keep the binder from poping open if that's what ya mean
THat's a good idea, but, I was referring to the binder cleat coming off of the link. When the tension is higher on one side than on the other, the side with the least tension can flop around. And since they are in the air instead of flat on the deck, the link can slip out of the cleat. Usually all that happens is a lost binder.
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well in the 27 years Ive been chaining down a Jeep to a trailer I have NEVER had that happen. It must only happen when you chain to the body and not fully compress the suspension like your supposed to, thus allowing movement in the chains and binders.
Unread 05-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
Well in the 27 years Ive been chaining down a Jeep to a trailer I have NEVER had that happen. It must only happen when you chain to the body and not fully compress the suspension like your supposed to, thus allowing movement in the chains and binders.
I have seen a lot of lever binders on the ground over the years, but, as you know, you could put that Jeep in Park and put on the e brake and it would be right where you put it when you arrive. but, if something unpleasant happens, at least you will have your axles.
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #21
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Must be all the people chaining down by the frame with uncompressed suspension. They hit a bump, the suspension cycles and POP, there goes a binder
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #22
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jonwood
Just found this thread and it spiked my interest as I just in the past couple of weeks acquired a slide in camper and now have much the same set up.

I have a short bed (6.5) and a Lance camper. I have a 16 ft trailer that I have used to carry the jeep for years. Total weight, jeep, trailer, camper and truck is about 16K.

What axle ratio do you have on your truck and what seems to me your "sweet spot" for speed and engine rpm when you are traveling on the hwy?

The superhitch seemed to be the best to use with its "double barrel" receiver setup and it was a simple bolt on. But I built my own receiver extension, only needed 14in and superhitch shortest is 24in. Plus the extension seems very high cost for what it is,

As to securing the jeep to trailer, Last year I went to screw type binders and they are much better.

I am from the "pull against the springs" school and I use 4 chains on the trailer and 4 other chains that I hook to strategic points on the frame of the jeep. Each chain is about 2 ft long. Attach the binder between each chain. I have done this for years and have pulled from Texas to California, all over West Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. I hve never had a problem with the tie down. I did have some stress cracks show up on my trailer that I welded and brace.

Let me know where you best pulling stats are?
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ogun View Post

As to securing the jeep to trailer, Last year I went to screw type binders and they are much better.
Not to sidetrack your interesting questions to Jonwood, but please note that the ratchet chain binders you are now using have a mechanical advantage of about 100 to 1 (or as much as 180 to 1 depending on the screw threads and length of the ratchet arm) meaning that your 10 year old can bend an axle tube without straining herself. I much prefer these and only use them, but it is an adjustment to make from a lever binder or a yellow ratchet strap both of which are incapable of putting more than a few hundred pounds of force on the axles.

Lean into a ratchet chain binder with 100 pounds of push and you are putting somewhere north of 15,000 pounds of force on the axle tube which will wreck it for sure.
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ogun View Post
Jonwood
Just found this thread and it spiked my interest as I just in the past couple of weeks acquired a slide in camper and now have much the same set up.

I have a short bed (6.5) and a Lance camper. I have a 16 ft trailer that I have used to carry the jeep for years. Total weight, jeep, trailer, camper and truck is about 16K.

What axle ratio do you have on your truck and what seems to me your "sweet spot" for speed and engine rpm when you are traveling on the hwy?

The superhitch seemed to be the best to use with its "double barrel" receiver setup and it was a simple bolt on. But I built my own receiver extension, only needed 14in and superhitch shortest is 24in. Plus the extension seems very high cost for what it is,

Let me know where you best pulling stats are?
My gear ratio is 4:10 and its hard to get a sweet spot around here since there are mountains everywhere I go. I just usually go the speed limit. But if I remember right when I ran it gown to Cali I was doin 70MPH most of the time.

My hitch extension is a super hitch that I bought off a friend for dirt cheap. It was a 48" i think but I cut it down and re-drilled it to fit how I wanted which is 18" I think.

I used to run 2 ratchet binders and 2 lever binders when I used my Dad's trailer but he wanted all his stuff back when he finished the re-re-re-build of his jeep so I just bought the lever binders because I have never had any problems with them and there fast.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

have you ever thought about putting helper air springs (or air bags) on the rear of your pickup?
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.