My tow setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My tow setup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My tow setup

People always want to know how other people tow there junk so here is my setup

Tow rig and trailer

Hitch setup

Chained up

I think I may get some J hooks for the front but this works well

Unread 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Theres another way I do it on the front where I run the binder from the other side of the D ring so there is slack in the center. I should do it that way again. Lookin at it now I dont know what I was thinking this time. Oh well , I'll do it right next time haha
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Where do I start?

Is that 1/4" chain? It look like 1/4" Tell me its not.
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

3/8, all my stuff is from the place I used to work at when I used to build tow trucks
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
3/8, all my stuff is from the place I used to work at when I used to build tow trucks
Thank you. I can sleep easily.
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Thank you. I can sleep easily.
lol, were you worried he would come to Ohio and threaten to drive near you?
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice setup. The hitch extension picture is a little dark... Reese Titan? Torklift? Also: do you know how much weight is on your rear axle? I guess the WD must help.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's a torklift extension. I have the weight of the rear axle written down somewhere but I'm not sure if Incan find it anymore, but I'll try to look. And yes the weight bars are real nice. I towed without them for a long time but now that I know what a difference they make I'll always use them with the camper
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would get a different skid for the gas tank, other that looks good.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Another thing that occurs to me is that it looks like the way you have the front chain set up it is a single point of failure. In the unlikely event something breaks or comes loose both sides of the front will be loose.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your excellent photos certainly bring into focus the issue of securing the rig by the axle tubes. Several comparatively delicate parts are all that secure your rig to the trailer. A few shackle bolts are really all there is. And, the axle tubes themselves are comparatively weak. I am certain that I could wreck one with a chain ratchet binder although your lever binder may be less likely to do so.

When forces are applied to the unsecured load above (like a serious jolt) and transmitted to the axles, you have essentially the same physics going on as if a person was trying to snatch a rig from the mud by the axles, which none of us would ever do.

But we have had this argument before and I am not trying to persuade you to change your methodology, just pointing out the reasons why securing the load or both the load and the axles rather than the axles alone is also a choice.
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Your excellent photos certainly bring into focus the issue of securing the rig by the axle tubes. Several comparatively delicate parts are all that secure your rig to the trailer. A few shackle bolts are really all there is. And, the axle tubes themselves are comparatively weak. I am certain that I could wreck one with a chain ratchet binder although your lever binder may be less likely to do so.

When forces are applied to the unsecured load above (like a serious jolt) and transmitted to the axles, you have essentially the same physics going on as if a person was trying to snatch a rig from the mud by the axles, which none of us would ever do.

But we have had this argument before and I am not trying to persuade you to change your methodology, just pointing out the reasons why securing the load or both the load and the axles rather than the axles alone is also a choice.

Hahaha yep Im not tryin to argue that especially since you dont go to the bump stops the way you do it.

Just showin how I do it. This is the same way we would do a solid axle rig on the tow trucks I used to build.

I dont take any offense to your criticism since we are all after the same thing, SAFETY.
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Another thing that occurs to me is that it looks like the way you have the front chain set up it is a single point of failure. In the unlikely event something breaks or comes loose both sides of the front will be loose.

Yeah I know what your sayin and I thought I explained in my second post but I may not have been as clear as I thought I was(no sarcasm intended)

I usually hook up my binders differently, where the lower hook on the binder is, is usually where I have the top hook of the binder. Then I take the lower hook and put it on the other side of the "D" ring so there is some slack in the middle between the "D" rings making it act as if there were two chains.

I hope that is a little more clear, next time I chain it down I will take better pic's
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
Yeah I know what your sayin and I thought I explained in my second post but I may not have been as clear as I thought I was(no sarcasm intended)

I usually hook up my binders differently, where the lower hook on the binder is, is usually where I have the top hook of the binder. Then I take the lower hook and put it on the other side of the "D" ring so there is some slack in the middle between the "D" rings making it act as if there were two chains.

I hope that is a little more clear, next time I chain it down I will take better pic's
If you have a little more chain you can get a double line from both sides with one binder in the middle. Just run the chain back through the D shackles on the trailer deck the other direction and bind them together with one binder flat on the deck. Twice as strong.
You can probably get the idea from this photo:

Unread 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

But I bought 2 binders so Im gonna use them haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.