My Tow Rig - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I liked the roof rack water storage idea but another problem with storing water on the outside of the camper is it could freeze and crack the tank. The only way it could be done is to build a insulated box to set the tank in or add a heating element to it. I live in the high desert and it can drop down into the single diggets during the winter. Even during the summer months the temp can drop dramatically over night. Until I can get a tank to fit inside the camper I think I'll use these jugs and if it gets cold I can set them inside the camper?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just had to try it out,

Friday after work we hooked the jeep to the truck and took off for Tuttle Creek. Had to try the little camper out, and test the tow bar also. Jeep pulled great no problems whatsoever.

Saturday morning I drove the jeep around the Alabama Hills (awesome scenery). I even found a few old mines to check out. Then I blazed a trail (dirt road really) up to the base of Mt Whitney and caught the paved road going to Whitney Portal. Went up there and relaxed, and just took in the scenery.

The camper worked great. Bed was a little uncomfortable but i can fix that. Tested the camper ice box out, it stayed between 30 and 40 degrees the entire trip. 3 days on the ice blocks, should last at least 4 days. Much better than the ice chests did, had to keep buying ice for them.

Here's a few pic's from my weekend.

Tuttle Creek Camp Ground, only $5.00 a night, what a deal considering the surrounding camp grounds wanted $16.00/$19.00 a night.

View of the Mountains from Tuttle Creek

A few pic's of the Alabama Hills. The pic's I took of the Alabama Hills don't do this place justice.

Mines in the Alabama Hills,

Pic's from Mount Whitney

When I left Tuttle Creek this morning I decided to take a detour and go around the East side of Owens Lake and go through Panamint Valley. Still a little warm out there but I wanted to put the towbar through it's paces. No problems.

Before you drop down into Panamint Springs heading East. Close to the turn off for the Saline Valley. Wish I would've had more time and another jeep or two with us. I was wanting to explore this area bad.

Last edited by Hotshot; 10-17-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: fixing something
post #18 of 21 Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 PM
2001SportTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's awesome man. I wish we had stuff like that on the East Coast.

DD TJ on 35's

post #19 of 21 Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 PM
kingplay334
2001 WJ 

love the dually and the jeep. This thread makes me miss my dually!
post #20 of 21 Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 AM
2001SportTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates?

DD TJ on 35's
post #21 of 21 Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry no, I've been to busy with work to go anywhere. The next few weekends I'll be getting ready for Thanksgiving at Calico. Dragging the toy hauler behind the Dodge and driving the jeep out (only 60 miles from here). Gonna be spending 5 days there wheeling in and around Calico with freinds. Will bring back plenty of pic's. With any luck I'm gonna get some new tires and wheels on the jeep before going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.