My Solidworks Trailer Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My Solidworks Trailer Build

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
Thane
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What are the dimensions of the trailer?

Thane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
I'm at some friend's house for the week (Thanksgiving). Don't have my computer with me. But one dimension I can remember is that the track width is the same as my jeep's. I'll post up the rest of the dimensions when I get back.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland: 2" BB. 31.5" BFGoodrich All Terrains

I am looking to get a set of RE 5.5" front coils. I'll trade my 4.5" or pay (not too much though) for them. Send me a PM.
Libtekguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice plans, well thought out options. Cupla questions...

How do you plan on entering the tent? Step ladder? What about trailer leveling while camped? Consider this:

BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler - Item - Camping World

We use one for our pop-up camper, levels the trailer side-to-side and blocks the trailer from rolling at the same time.
Unread 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #19
ericson89
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know this question is a little ahead of your time-frame, but do you have any idea how much material cost would be?

Great design i might add. quite practical and simple.
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #20
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Nice plans, well thought out options. Cupla questions...

How do you plan on entering the tent? Step ladder? What about trailer leveling while camped? Consider this:

BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler - Item - Camping World

We use one for our pop-up camper, levels the trailer side-to-side and blocks the trailer from rolling at the same time.
Those look pretty handy. My goal is to make the trailer as self contained as possible (if that makes sense). What I mean is that I'd rather have stakes that would drop down from the rear of the frame and have jacks (like a trailer jockey leg w/o the wheel). I think each one would be cheaper than that BAL system. Plus I wouldn't have to have extra stuff floating around in the trailer bed.
I was going to design the legs for stability purposes, but then I decided the trailer wouldn't need it. I didn't consider having to level the trailer, now with that in mind I probably will implement such a feature.

As far has entering the tent, a fold up, collapsing or a simple solid ladder is what I'll use. I should design that too.

I am looking to get a set of RE 5.5" front coils. I'll trade my 4.5" or pay (not too much though) for them. Send me a PM.
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #21
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericson89 View Post
I know this question is a little ahead of your time-frame, but do you have any idea how much material cost would be?

Great design i might add. quite practical and simple.
My best guess would be $6,000 to $8,000. In reality I have no idea though. I think when I actually start the fabrication, this thing will take me at least 6 months to complete. I'll just build as fast as my budget and free time allow.

Unread 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #22
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
Back from Thanksgiving and here are the specifications so far:

Length:
Tongue Extended: 13'
Tongue Retracted: 10'

Width:
Body Width: 68"
Body plus fender flares (overall): 75"

Height:
Overall: 56"
Trailer tub bed height: 30"
To Hitch: 22"

Main Cargo tub dimensions:
Width:48"
Length: 60"
Height: 18"
Just the right size to fit an ATV back there.

Weight (these are provided by the solidworks program):
I'll use the appropriate tires, axles, springs and build it to have a GVWR of 3,000lbs.

Fully loaded with water and camping gear: ~2,000 lbs
Minus water and camping gear: 1,580 lbs
No top, water, or sink (utility mode): 1120 lbs

Unread 12-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

What are you building the frame out of? 2x6x.120 tubing? That almost looks identical to my trailer project. I stole most of my ideas from Overlander though
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #24
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, would love to see it after its built!

“I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman" Chief Edward F. Croker FDNY (1899-1911)

Firefighting..The only profession where you can break into someones home, flood it, rip out the walls, bust out windows, cut holes in the roof, and they THANK YOU for your service[/COLOR]
obxresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #25
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libtekguy View Post
I was going to design the legs for stability purposes, but then I decided the trailer wouldn't need it. I didn't consider having to level the trailer, now with that in mind I probably will implement such a feature.

If all you want to do is "stabilize" the trailer while parked for sleeping, look around for a set of stability jacks off a used Coleman pop-up (tent) trailer. They work well and only take a few seconds to deploy. If you want to "level" the trailer side to side, you'll need something capable of lifting the trailer's weight when fully loaded. That's a whole different problem. I got tired of carrying a bunch of wood boards to level the tires, and the whole "place board, pull forward, check for level, back up and add a board, check for level... " routine.

Good luck, gunna be a nice trailer.
Burlbook48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #26
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

How would you get that sink to drain? Hole in the tailgate? I'm thinking about adding a water tank to my trailer now that I saw yours.... Where would you get that tank from? I can't find any with a low height like that. What are your dimensions on the tank? Thanks
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #27
BigDogTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is pretty sic man! You should manufacture these and leave school instead!!! JK
BigDogTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #28
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
How would you get that sink to drain? Hole in the tailgate? I'm thinking about adding a water tank to my trailer now that I saw yours.... Where would you get that tank from? I can't find any with a low height like that. What are your dimensions on the tank? Thanks
I haven't tried to find one yet. I'd rather find a plastic one, or maybe use two smaller ones. It doesn't have to be exact to what I planned out in my design, the one on my trailer was more or less just for mock-up and weight messurements.

Anyway, the tank on the trailer is 40"x26"x6". As for the sink, to drain it, I'll have the bottom of the sink declined towards the rear and a little hole in the back to attach a hose that will drain the water into the gray water tank. I might have to another pump to accomplish this, but I'll figure that one out when I get there.

Unread 01-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #29
jeepbumm68
2005 TJ Wrangler 

amazing work on designing that.
jeepbumm68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #30
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.