My scrap iron trailer build "SCRAPPY" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My scrap iron trailer build "SCRAPPY"

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My scrap iron trailer build "SCRAPPY"

So I been seeing all these great little trailers for camping and general utility for towing behind a jeep. I had thought about going with one of the mini trailers available from harbor freight and other places. They range from 4'x4' to 5'x8' and are priced between $250-$400.

Then I thought about all the upgrading I would want to do and figured it would be easier and cheaper to start from scratch. So I went out and looked at the iron pile we have gathered over the years.

I found a 20' joint of 1.5" square tube and some reflector posts from when my dad worked for the state road department. PERFECT for the main frame. I also had a 20" joint of 2" square tube in 1/4" wall perfect for the tounge and axle.

A friend of mine who is a welder by trade was bored and wanted to help so we got busy. We thought it would be best to use as much of the 1.5" joint as we could and not waste much of it. What we came up with is 4'6"x5' inside which comes up as 4'8" by 5'3" total outside dimensions. The reflector posts fit in for 2 strong yet light cross members. I decided on a 24" tall box and we used old bed frames for the angle iron frame of the box. As well as a tongue rack with expanded metal floor. I will use 1x4 tongue and groove wood for the floor and walls of the box

I will reuse the stock jeep spare tire mount off my jeep. I will order the spindles and hubs online. And I will get tires and wheels from the local big o tires store and a tail light kit from Napa. I think I already have a trailer jack laying around here somewhere.

I only have a few pics so far but I will get more as it progresses.

As of right now I am into this trailer for ZERO dollars and the main frame is roughly complete. More to come.
and since my jeep is named "Shoeshine Boy" (underdogs alter ego) I will name the trailer after another cartoon dog "Scrappy" from Scooby doo.

Found a few more pics. I wish the damn wind would stop so I could work on it some more.

Unread 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got the trailer turned over and all the welds are now burned in for the main frame and box. Then I figured I would save even more money and rob a axle out from under a old camp trailer that has seen better days. The camper axle is a drop axle and too wide and its SOLID 2" square, and about 125lbs. So maybe tomorrow we will cut the axle above the drop near the spindles. Then we will taper the axle side down and bevel it so that 1" slides into the 2"x1/4" square tube and weld it solid with a root weld filler weld and a cap weld. I have no doubt that it will be strong enough. This will give me a straight axle and loose a bunch of weight.

Then the springs off the camper are 4 leaf that are 1/4" thick and VERY stout! So I will be removing the bottom 2 springs and see if that's soft enough. If its still too stiff I will drop the 3rd leaf and just run the main leaf.

I have already gutted the brakes. I don't feel I will need them, but I sat the backing plates and all the parts except the brake shoes aside just in case. The bearings are in great shape but I need both inside seals and will probably buy greasable dust caps. I will repack the bearings with grease before reassembly.

Messing around with the axle ate up most of the day due to its weight and getting it out from under the trailer that was sitting on blocks. I did go and get some paint and the tongue that takes a 1 7/8 ball.

I took a bunch of pics with my phone but somewhere along the way I got axle grease on the lens so I only have this one pic that is any good.
There are 2 good coats of high zinc primer and 3 coats of gloss black. There is more welding to do but I will touch it up when that's done. For now it was just convenient to get a few good coats of paint on it while it was upside down. This was after removing all the rust with wire wheel of course.
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I remember shoeshine boy..LOL Scrappy was obnoxiuos..Build like the wind Deputy Dog!! Hong kong Fui would approve..
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so we did a bit more today between the wind and snow lol.

We started on this axle from the camp trailer. It was way too wide, a drop axle, solid and very heavy.

We cut it off at the line, squared the spindles up, and beveled the edges.
Then we used this 2" tube cut to length and edges beveled.

Then we welded the spindles onto the new lighter straight axle. Notice how out of square the brake backing plate mounts where welded on originally... I assure you the axle and spindles are perfectly straight. We did this with 2 framing squares, and a lot of measurements.

I cleaned up the spring perches and cut the old shackles off to ready them for new shackles and mounts.

Tomorrow we will try to build the mounts and get the springs and axle mounted and ready. After that the expanded metal will go into the front tray and possibly get the spare tire mount put on.
I have to clean up the bearings and get them repacked and get new inner seals. These hubs are the type that take bolts, rather than having studs. I may try to change that as well. I do have wheels that will fit however I dont have any tires that match or are what I would consider good. I also have to dream up some sort of tailgate and figure out what I'm going to do for sides and floor. I will most likely use wood.

Thanks for looking!
Unread 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I havent really done much to this trailer. Got the axle built the spring hangers are welded on tongue is all done. The main things I need to do is get bigger ubolts because the tube I used is slightly bigger. I need to pack the bearings with grease and assemble them. And finally put some wood in for the sides and floor. Oh and figure out what I want to do for a tailgate.

I should really do a little more to it soon and get it functional lol.
Unread 06-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I put the hubs together today and Im not real sure how well or long they will last. They had a stainless collar over the spindle that the inner seal rode on. It WILL NOT FIT with the new seals and the old seals are a discontinued part. So the seal has to ride on the spindle its self. It fits good so It may not be an issue but it it becomes a problem I will most likely just order a whole new axle in the future. That will be about my only option since the original seal and collar is no longer made.

The only downfall really is the inner seal might end up slobbering grease. Not a major problem as long as new grease gets put in on a regular basis.
Now I need to find some u bolts.
Unread 06-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Spent a lot of summers north of you up in the Yellowstone area, working at Yellowstone Ranch.

Unread 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I sold my SKS to fund this trailer. Today I went and got u-bolts and some new LED tail lights, and a few other small things. I ordered new wheels and tires online along with some jeep style fenders (squared). At www.southwestwheel.com they had the best prices. I just got white spoke wheels and 205/75/15 tires.

I still have to figure out some sort of tailgate, and I am pretty sure I will just use plywood for the floor and sides. Still lots to do but its getting there.

Oh, by te way this trailer turned out MUCH bigger than I originally thought. the trailer will haul MUCH more than the jeep will pull.
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ok some more progress.

I got most of the welding done, except the front basket and tail gate. I got the wood cut, stained, poly'ed and now its drying. Im like 90% there just gotta do all the finish work.

I checked the tracking number and my wheels tires and fenders should be here tomorrow some time.

And finally some pics of where its at now.

I decided not to use the bed strips, and I only used thompsens wood sealer on the inside and the bottom.
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got the tires wheels and fenders in. Now just need to bolt the wood in finish the front basket and build a tailgate

Unread 06-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

that turned out great! Nice and light, perfect for behind a Jeep!
I wish mine would have stayed in budget like yours...I spent a bunch more than I wanted to make mine, but all the parts I had on hand and planned to use ended up not being used since I went with a bigger trailer than originally planned. lol
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Im pleased with it. It still needs some more work to be finished but its mostly there. I havent figured how much I have into it exactly. Its a little more than I intended but I figured it needed a little money thrown at it. Im pretty sure its between $400-$500, its the little nickle and dime stuff that really adds up! And I tend to be an over spender I see something I like and I buy it lol.

And yea its nice to have scraps around to do stuff with, but most the time there isnt enough to actually do something with LOL. My dad and I try to gather up as much useful scrap iron as we can.

Now I would like some opinions from the few of you that look at this thread.
I was thinking about adding steps both in front of and behind the fenders. Probably just frames with expanded metal over it. What do yall think?
Unread 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I bolted most of the wood in today. I still need to put more bolts in the floor but didn't feel like laying on my back and eating sawdust today lol. I also mounted the factory spare tire carrier, off my TJ, onto the front of the trailer. and threw one of the ugly wheels on it. Then I took it for a drive to see how it pulls, and it pulls beautifully! Empty I cant even tell its there , ASIDE from the reviver hitch rattling like crazy! Im thinking I will drill a hole in the bottom and weld a nut on so that I can put a set bolt into it and tighten it up. I finished up the wiring as well.
I think I also have a plan for the tailgate, it wasn't so much how to build it, but what to actually use.

Im really pleased with the dimensions of this trailer. I didn't actually measure my jeep before building the trailer. HOWEVER the tub of the trailer is exactly 1/2" narrower than the tub of my jeep. The tires track in my jeep tracks and the over all width matches my jeep. In my mirrors, I see right down the sides of the trailer and the fenders. So backing I will know exactly where Im putting the tires.
The tongue looks long but my spare tire swing out on my jeep will clear the front basket by 2-3". Its basically perfect LOL.
Its also HUGE I will be able to fit everything including the kitchen sink in there LMFAO.

My dad had a good idea for it today. There is a small army surplus store in the next town over. The guy who owns it also makes custom canvas tarps. So when its all done and I have a bit more money to spend on it I will have him make a custom fit tarp for it.
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I got the tailgate built today and worked on bolting down the floor, but ran out of supplies and light. So I will have to run down to town and pick a few things up tomorrow, and then get some pics. AND perhaps I will finish the front basket and be DONE, until I mod it some more. I am actually thinking about a landing leg rather than a jack but haven't set anything in stone yet.
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #15
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can not wait to see the pic's of the tailgate. I think you are doing a great job on this build! Keep up the good work.

FIX IT TILL it's broke
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.