My New M-416 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My New M-416

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My New M-416

I've wanted to say that for about 12 years now :happydance:

Here is my 1965 Stevens M-416. This trailer spent many years in Idaho, then was purchased in 1985 by the man I just bought it from, in Paradise, CA. Both places are extremely dry. The rust is ONLY on the surface.

This thing is in near perfect condition. It has the pintle (under a bolt-on ball mount), the kick-stand, the trailer brake, and fuel can mounts on both sides and the original data plate. You can see that there are no dents at all. The bearings are new and have just been packed. The tires are new General Grabbers. I am so stoked.

Here are the pics he e-mailed me. It's now sitting in my garage, so I Will snap some pics soon. I am kicking around the idea of sandblasting it and painting it to match my TJ with bedliner inside.

Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats, looks good
I'VE GOT ONE MYSELF I NEED TO FINISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mind me asking what you had to pay for it?
bfewkwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

$600. A steal i think...no one wanted to drive up there to get it, though he had a lot of calls. I've seen them go for $1500 in this condition here in the bay area.
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a great price.

I've looked at a nice one local to me and the owner was asking $2k.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
bfewkwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I soaked every single bolt multiple times with PB Blaster...it's been soaking about a week now. I've removed the fenders and the jerry can mounts, only to snap almost every single bolt because they are rusted solid.
New stainless hardware is was planned anyway, but it's crazy how easily the bolts are snapping.
Thinking on going with matching paint. The frame, fenders and jerry can mounts will be hammerite gray to match my armor. The body will be sahara green. May either have it raptor lined, or may spray in durabak like I did in my jeep.
Found a local powdercoater that can sandblast the entire trailer, so may go that route depending on the price. Gonna have him do the fenders/jerry can mounts first.
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's gunna be REAL sweet when it's done.

Keep us posted.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

750 payload?? boy the military really underrates stuff!!
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fenders and original lights removed (can you tell I COATED the entire thing with liquid penetrator?) I still snapped about 90% of the bolts. Oh well, stainless was in the plan, anyway.

The lights are aluminum with real glass bulbs. There is a company that sells plastic light covers that I am interested in getting...they are called Gamma Goat lenses.

Here is the original data plate, cleaned up, in great condition. Such a nice trailer, for being 45 years old.

Fenders/lights and the jerry can holders are at the sand blaster. He wants $60 to blast them. Kinda steep. I don't have time for this right now, and I am not playing with that junk (I've inhaled enough silica in the middle east).
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
jesse18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I want one of these someday. Such a cool useful piece of americana...It will look even better being pulled by a Jeep!
Unread 10-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up the fenders/jerry can mounts from the sand blasters today. These are not primered, just blasted to the point of being rough. Good stuff seeing 45 yr old metal looking brand new :-)

Chose not to do the lights at this time - think I can strip them with a wire wheel myself and not risk breaking the glass lenses.

both fenders and jerry can mounts:

Jerry can holder showing bare metal:

I also decided to begin trying to strip the tub with this "ultra-green, safe citrus metal stripper" It seems to work well, without being toxic or having any bad fumes. Not as quick/easy as sand blasting, but certainly not as expensive.

one fender was a little banged up. Either I will use evercoat to fix this, or just deal with the dented metal and paint over it. Not sure I will use evercoat as the fenders will be rock magnets anyway.

The perfect fender, looks brand new:

now, have to primer these and paint with hammerite.
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
jesse18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great man!!! What color are you going to paint it.
Unread 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The tub will be painted to match my green sahara. The frame/fenders/jerry can holders will be painted Hammerite Gray to match my the armor on my heep.
Unread 10-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
WillieP23
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome trailer man! I've been looking at getting one of these for a bit now, just gotta wait till I have a place to put it. I cant wait to see the finished project.. crawled
WillieP23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heck yes awesome trailer. Exactly what im looking for.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.