My M416 Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My M416 Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
letitloose06
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreve View Post
This is looking great i really want to do this to mine i just have not taken the time to try it. what hinges did you you use. i see that they are grease-able and removable that is really cool i just want to know where you got them. thanks for the help
I got the hinges from Mcmaster-Carr. I'm not sure what the part number is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutacon05 View Post
oh ok, i wanted to try it without the lip but thats really no big deal, how are the sides of the bed when the tailgate is open
The sides are pretty sturdy.

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG KM2's, 8.8 Rear, HP30 front, 4.10's, SYE and CV Driveshaft, Taurus Electric Fan, 136 A GC Alternator, Grand Prix Seats, RR HD Steering, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer -- Build Thread
letitloose06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
lgreve
1977 CJ7 

thank you for that info.
CHRISTIAN JEEPER #230
lgreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #18
swampman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

hey nice trailer . you really didnt say what you are gonna be using thre trailer for.. are you going to be putting a lid on it some day? i am no expert, but i think you may find that you are gonna get some real flex on the trailer sides now.. i am not sure how i would beef it up .. i used 2'' sq to frame my opening and tied it right into the frame. the lid and tent weigh almost 300 lbs .. no flex
swampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #19
rutacon05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

it's a trailer, why do you need a lid? sorry, i use my trailer for haulin stuff like coal, firewood, junkyard parts, etc. not yuppy stuff, and if i took it on a trail and hauled stuff for campin i'd just strap a couple tarps on it. no need for a lid. just sayin.
rutacon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #20
rutacon05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if you wanna camp get a pop up camper and modify it
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #21
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^ A pop up camper won't fair well on many of the trails people ride. I am a big fan of the expedition style trailers. It is the perfect combination of storage, comfort, and compact manuverability.
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #22
swampman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutacon05 View Post
it's a trailer, why do you need a lid? sorry, i use my trailer for haulin stuff like coal, firewood, junkyard parts, etc. not yuppy stuff, and if i took it on a trail and hauled stuff for campin i'd just strap a couple tarps on it. no need for a lid. just sayin.
no need to get snarky.. i was just trying to help.. i have seen many of these trailers with tailgates cut into them.. some better than others , if you dont reinforce the opening, the sides are gonna flex on you.. especially if its loaded with stuff.. and modifying a pop up is ok but not for me.. most are too wide to pull down a tight trail.. mine will go anywhere
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
rutacon05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ok,i'll admit that is pretty cool
Unread 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #24
swampman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

thanks i think it cool too.. if you need any info on the 416's go to the trailer section on expedition portals .. there is a ton of knowledge there .. trailers built for everything from utility to expedition style.. i had a pop up for 10 years but could not take it anywhere near the places i take this one.. and if i need to, the lid and tent can be removed so i can use it to haul stuff

Unread 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #25
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

that tent is bigger then my apartment in college!

I tried to talk my wife into a RTT on our M416 but im afraid she would fall out when going to the bathroom at night.
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
cyberpvnk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks good!

Looking for a 2DR JK softtop in good condition. Located in ILL.
cyberpvnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #27
GzrGlide
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrydr01 View Post
I tried to talk my wife into a RTT on our M416 but im afraid she would fall out when going to the bathroom at night.
That would only happen once and she'd learn!!!!
RE 4.5SF with 3.5 springs & Tera QDFTs
Super 35 & Detroit in back w/4.88s
33x10.5 BFG KM2's
Cobra 75WXST w/4' Wilson Antenna
Warn M8000
(1) Rubber Ducky
GzrGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #28
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman View Post
no need to get snarky.. i was just trying to help.. i have seen many of these trailers with tailgates cut into them.. some better than others , if you dont reinforce the opening, the sides are gonna flex on you.. especially if its loaded with stuff.. and modifying a pop up is ok but not for me.. most are too wide to pull down a tight trail.. mine will go anywhere
That is a gorgeous rig. It has both utility and appealing appearance. Well done.

Did you keep the pintle, or replace with a standard trailer tongue? Please post some pix of the front of the trailer, looking backwards.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #29
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman View Post
That is a gorgeous rig. It has both utility and appealing appearance. Well done.

Did you keep the pintle, or replace with a standard trailer tongue? Please post some pix of the front of the trailer, looking backwards.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #30
swampman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

oh yeah !! i kept the pintle for sure,, dont believe what you hear about them, mine rarely makes any noise at all , only when off road, and then the jeep is noisey anyway,, you wouldnt hear it ,, some peeps are replacing the pintle with some real nice and expensive articulating hitches, , there are several brands on the market and i have seen too many fail !! i have never personally heard of a pintle hitch failing,, pics from the front ,looking back howz this

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.