Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My M416 Build

19K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  swampman 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm starting my M416 build. I picked the trailer up back in May for $500. It's got some rust, but for the most part, it's very solid. It's going to be pretty simple. I'm gonna clean up the rust, and add a tail gate.

Here is the trailer the day I bought it.

Data Plate

Some tear down pics

I'm hopefully gonna get all the sand blasting done this weekend. Will post more pics later.

See less See more
#6 ·
Here are some updates.

Tailgate opening cut

Beefing up the tailgate

I was hoping to get the tailgate finished tonight but I ran out of welding wire. Hopefully I will get that finished up tomorrow after work.

#8 ·
Got some more work done. Finished welding up the tailgate and got the frame around the tailgate opening tacked in place.

#9 ·
Well it finally stopped raining for once and I was able to get a lot done tonight. I am about 75% done with the tailgate.

Tailgate almost finished

Closeup of the tailgate cables

The tailgate is removable

Closeup of the hinges

Tailgate closed

Hopefully I'll get the rest of the fab work done tomorrow so I can start cleaning it all up for paint.

#11 ·
bumping this thread, when you cut the trailer for the tailgate, is the tailgate actually flush with the bed when you open it or does it have a lip? i'm thinking about putting some sort of tail gate on mine and i like your design, i mainly use mine now for hauling firewood and coal

#13 ·
The tailgate opening is roughly 1" higher than the floor of the inside of the tub and the gate is a little higher than the tailgate opening.

#15 ·
This is looking great i really want to do this to mine i just have not taken the time to try it. what hinges did you you use. i see that they are grease-able and removable that is really cool i just want to know where you got them. thanks for the help

#16 ·
I got the hinges from Mcmaster-Carr. I'm not sure what the part number is.

oh ok, i wanted to try it without the lip but thats really no big deal, how are the sides of the bed when the tailgate is open
The sides are pretty sturdy.

#18 ·
hey nice trailer . you really didnt say what you are gonna be using thre trailer for.. are you going to be putting a lid on it some day? i am no expert, but i think you may find that you are gonna get some real flex on the trailer sides now.. i am not sure how i would beef it up .. i used 2'' sq to frame my opening and tied it right into the frame. the lid and tent weigh almost 300 lbs .. no flex

#22 ·
no need to get snarky.. i was just trying to help.. i have seen many of these trailers with tailgates cut into them.. some better than others , if you dont reinforce the opening, the sides are gonna flex on you.. especially if its loaded with stuff.. and modifying a pop up is ok but not for me.. most are too wide to pull down a tight trail.. mine will go anywhere

#24 ·
thanks i think it cool too.. if you need any info on the 416's go to the trailer section on expedition portals .. there is a ton of knowledge there .. trailers built for everything from utility to expedition style.. i had a pop up for 10 years but could not take it anywhere near the places i take this one.. and if i need to, the lid and tent can be removed so i can use it to haul stuff

#27 ·
I tried to talk my wife into a RTT on our M416 but im afraid she would fall out when going to the bathroom at night.
That would only happen once and she'd learn!!!!

#30 ·
oh yeah !! i kept the pintle for sure,, dont believe what you hear about them, mine rarely makes any noise at all , only when off road, and then the jeep is noisey anyway,, you wouldnt hear it ,, some peeps are replacing the pintle with some real nice and expensive articulating hitches, , there are several brands on the market and i have seen too many fail !! i have never personally heard of a pintle hitch failing,, pics from the front ,looking back howz this

#31 ·
the trailer will be getting a complete rebuild over the winter months, i sold my xj (sniff,sniff) and bought me a 2010 4 door rubi, ansd now its the wrong colour, the plan is to sand blast everything, frame, fenders and inside will get the bedliner treatment, the tub will be painted mango tango, , the lid will be black , all tie downs and brackets and stuff will be powdercoated black,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.