My little M416 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My little M416

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #91
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had little choice with my 33" tires....didn't want them rubbing against the fenders. I have a RE7000 4.5" lift on my Jeep. The hitch I bought from tractor supply made it better. The nose does dip a little but rides great behind the Jeep with the weight more up front. I bought the CJ5 tailgate and my local shop has a kit he fabricated to reinforce the back of the trailer after he cuts it out. I have seen his transformation on several TJ's who wanted a tail gate vice door. Great piece of work.

Unread 09-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #92
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how bad and where did the rub on the fenders? I plan to go 33's after the new year and hope to have the Jeep and trailers all in the same shoes.

FIX IT TILL it's broke
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #93
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The fenders basically rested on the tires and my tires (33x12.5x15) extend 2-3 inches past the fender.
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #94
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

GREAT.....

I was wishing you would say something like "no worries..lots of room" The plan now is to install the turdy5 out of my wrangler under the trailer. Hope the trailer's current axle is more narrow then the Wrangler's.This way we wont need to bother with hunting down spacers again! (So sick of endless posts that go nowhere on " how to make OEM rims fit on your military trailer) :brickw all

I got a hook-up from a local salvage yard today on a 8.8 limited slip complete axle with 3.73's. Plan on installing it as soon as I can order a 8.8 Axle Swap Kit from Artec Industries (vendor here). Just needing to catch up on the funds for a little bit.

A couple of us hopped on a plane and spent the last 2 1/2 weeks in Alaska on a hunting trip. Everything is expensive compared to around here in Texas.We started in Anchorage and drove my dad's 02' Wrangler to Prudhoe Bay.Lots of cool things along the way to see.One of my favorites being Atigun Pass! That was a dream of mine.Hope to once again go back but this time it will be with MY Jeep and trailer...
alaska-trip-242_1024.jpg  

FIX IT TILL it's broke
Unread 09-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #95
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thats sound like it was a great trip. I have made the Alaskan cruises but never managed to make it "in country".

Your old 35 may work, depends on the distance of the leaf spring mounts...on center. You could always move them. If I remember correctly the M416 is 39" on center. Then there is the overal length (hub to hub), and then of course your backspacing on the wheels you intend to use. The M416 wheels backspacing is actually deeper because the end of the wheel extends past the tire. When I had my axle made it was actually 1/2" shorter in length because the Cragar soft 8's I used to match my Jeep were only about 4" in back spacing. I believe the M416 wheels were over 5"...but can't remember exactly. I just made sure I had the same clearance of 2" for my 33x12.5x15 tires between the inside edge of my tire and the wheel well.

good luck
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #96
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again jawalterusmc.

This brings me to here

I took a little bit today and removed the original axle from the M416. (This is where some of you northern boys will laugh) Seems the unusual heat wave here in Texas worked in my favor for once. I noticed that there is a Ranger pickup in the back pasture I seem to forgot about.The weeds all died and uncovered it! now, I dont think of myself as one to just have cars junked out all over my place....but awesome it worked out for me this time.

Got the Ford ranger's rear axle cleaned up and inserted new lug studs all the way around.pulled the diff cover and made sure all was well. removed the shock towers cause they were just hanging out waiting to be a problem down the road. Set the lift down so the trailer will be on it's own weight when I saw the concern.The pumpkin is withen 6-8 inches from hitting the under side of the bed.

YEP,forgot to measure the height of the pumpkin for clearance.

I warned ya'll i'm new to this stuff. n

O.K. Is there any intrest in my trailer axle or tires/wheels? Think they will be up for grabs to fund a new axle.Thinking about ebay but don't want to deal with them.Let me know.

Called ABC trailers today at lunch.Those guys are all right. Took the time to walk me thru the process (even said they have done quite a few like this). So for under 350.00 I am going to have a custom 3500 lb one with brakes delivered to the shop.

NOW WHERE WAS THE CREDIT CARD?????
jeep-trailer-149_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-150_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-151_1024.jpg  

FIX IT TILL it's broke
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #97
g_oneill
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Back toward the beginning of this thread some asked if you could sleep in the back. In the early 80's I was the driver of a Jeep and I slept in the trailer all the time. As a side note I did get to see the coolest thing ever. We were sling loading the jeep under a helicopter, one of the slings broke and we had to drop the jeep about 150 feet onto a field. Neat as s**t. Took about 3 days to rebuild it. Wish I had pics for a rebuild thread.
g_oneill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #98
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesterj View Post
Thanks again jawalterusmc.

This brings me to here

I took a little bit today and removed the original axle from the M416. (This is where some of you northern boys will laugh) Seems the unusual heat wave here in Texas worked in my favor for once. I noticed that there is a Ranger pickup in the back pasture I seem to forgot about.The weeds all died and uncovered it! now, I dont think of myself as one to just have cars junked out all over my place....but awesome it worked out for me this time.

Got the Ford ranger's rear axle cleaned up and inserted new lug studs all the way around.pulled the diff cover and made sure all was well. removed the shock towers cause they were just hanging out waiting to be a problem down the road. Set the lift down so the trailer will be on it's own weight when I saw the concern.The pumpkin is withen 6-8 inches from hitting the under side of the bed.

YEP,forgot to measure the height of the pumpkin for clearance.

I warned ya'll i'm new to this stuff. n

O.K. Is there any intrest in my trailer axle or tires/wheels? Think they will be up for grabs to fund a new axle.Thinking about ebay but don't want to deal with them.Let me know.

Called ABC trailers today at lunch.Those guys are all right. Took the time to walk me thru the process (even said they have done quite a few like this). So for under 350.00 I am going to have a custom 3500 lb one with brakes delivered to the shop.

NOW WHERE WAS THE CREDIT CARD?????
Your best bet is to try the G503.com website. If the parking brake system is complete you can probably find someone who would be willing to take them off your hands. The tires and wheels are not cheap to ship....finally sold mine locally to someone who could use them on his Toyota "something" that had 5 x 5.5 lug pattern. No one wanted my axle but managed to sell the entire parking system (at G503) and boxed it up for shipping. Couldn't give the axle away....so I took it to the local metal recycling yard and got $75 for it. Good luck.
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #99
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_oneill View Post
Back toward the beginning of this thread some asked if you could sleep in the back. In the early 80's I was the driver of a Jeep and I slept in the trailer all the time. As a side note I did get to see the coolest thing ever. We were sling loading the jeep under a helicopter, one of the slings broke and we had to drop the jeep about 150 feet onto a field. Neat as s**t. Took about 3 days to rebuild it. Wish I had pics for a rebuild thread.

I have always known ..given enough days without sleep,a man can sleep peacefully next to the devil himself.

That would have been a cool sight to see!!

FIX IT TILL it's broke
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #100
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawalterusmc View Post
Your best bet is to try the G503.com website. If the parking brake system is complete you can probably find someone who would be willing to take them off your hands. The tires and wheels are not cheap to ship....finally sold mine locally to someone who could use them on his Toyota "something" that had 5 x 5.5 lug pattern. No one wanted my axle but managed to sell the entire parking system (at G503) and boxed it up for shipping. Couldn't give the axle away....so I took it to the local metal recycling yard and got $75 for it. Good luck.
I would be happy with the 75 bucks if it will scrap out for that.Sad that a perfectly good axle can cause so much headache when it comes to rim fitment issues.

Had to put off the new axle for a few weeks.Artec's last day for the 8.8 truss sale is today.Looks like the Jeep comes first again.

My plan is to get the truss and sit on it for a few months while I save the coin.Need to get the trailer ready for this years pheasent hunt in Kansas.We need it to have a locking lid (for the hotel parking lot) and a spare tire (for the "awe crap")If we can't do this then she will need to stay at the house and we take the wife's Explorer....my wife and my Jeep do not play well together!

FIX IT TILL it's broke
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #101
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
.We need it to have a locking lid (for the hotel parking lot) and a spare tire (for the "awe crap")If we can't do this then she will need to stay at the house and we take the wife's Explorer....my wife and my Jeep do not play well together!
A cheap alternative (for me anyway) was to find a "used" aluminum camper shell...smallest you can find 76 x ??. I found one for $20 that had the side utility windows which lock and it had a broken rear window. I pulled it apart, cut 8 inches out of the middle, reattached everything, and then cut out some thin aluminum sheets to fill the front and back. I used some 1x1 angle iron (more like sheet metal) to attach to the bottom that would sit down inside the trailer to hold it in place. I plan to hinge it one side and eventually get struts (hatchback style) to hold it open (using a broom stick for now). Cheap, light weight, water proof.
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #102
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

here are work in progress pics. even had some left over Mossy Oak sheets to cover it up with.
dsc01513.jpg   dsc01508.jpg   dsc01510.jpg  
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #103
musicpuppy
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Well here goes...I have been wanting to have a trailer just for my 05' TJ since I got it.The other small trailers worked fine for hauling brush to the bottom pasture or the weekend trips to Home Depot but lacked in the looks when going on a trip.
Since I am new to the Jeep world and kind of a green horn when it comes to turning wrench's I thought it would be a good idea to hold off on molesting the TJ with newbee ideas.Thought if more time was spent learning how to do things like paint,body work,brakes,and axles on the trailer then it would give a better insight on the ways NOT to do with my pride. Also,it could give me a chance to pick up some well needed tools to boot.

SO...here she is in all her rusted up glory.It should be a fun ride.
wow dude, great find, i love it...
musicpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #104
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks musicpuppy. I have been neglecting it for the last few months to fund a 8.8 rear axle swap in the TJ.Phase 2 of the build will begin a little after the new year.Just need to get past Christmas and pheasant season!

I did manage to pick up a solar panel a little while back from a friend.It will find it's way into the plans for the lid and RTT.Also,I found a deal on some 12 volt lights to mount on the under side of the lid.

FIX IT TILL it's broke
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #105
Our_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawalterusmc View Post
Not trying to steal your thread but all this talk finally got me motivated to do the SOA on my trailer. Tried doing spacers but that was over $120 and a new 3500 axle made to fit my trailer was $207 shipped. Just ordered the CJ5 reproduction tail gate and hope to do that done next week...then paint to match my Jeep.
Sorry double thread jacking!! Is the CJ5 tailgate the best choice for the M416 tailgate conversion vs the CJ7? Thanks
Our_Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.