My little M416 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My little M416

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

how much did it cost you to sandblast it, or did you do it yourself?

Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Had a local guy do it for me. He did the tub,frame,fenders and the broken tailgate for a hundred bucks.
The guy could have charged me double and I would not have flinched! Sitting on that wire wheel sucked. Then when it decided to try and eat the boys...I knew I was done with that crap.

Thanks for doing what you are doing Greg Volkman.
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The next thing I did was removed the 1'' black pipe that someone welded on for some sort of canopy.Since it is not in any of my plans to have something that resembles a covered wild west wagon...its gone.

It got late so we finished up removing everything that had a grease zert and cleaned out the area then replaced all the zerts.Refilled back with grease,then smiled and had a beer.
jeep-trailer-051.jpg   jeep-trailer-052.jpg   jeep-trailer-053.jpg   jeep-trailer-059.jpg   jeep-trailer-061.jpg  

Unread 05-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #19
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know some of you may frown on this but it HAD to be done took a can of rattle can to some napa cheap shocks.Just could not see paying a small fortune for matching shocks (if they even make them) to fit on a trailer. One of the guys from napa stopped in the shop today and I asked him if he knew of a shock about this size.He brought me a set to try out
Threw on a extra set of stickers so......good looking clone.
jeep-trailer-049_edited-1.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Took the trailer home over the weekend to do some work on her in the barn.Got the holes filled on some with the welder where I could (thin gauge metal + never even held a welder = not filling in the holes very good). Went to the metal supply shop and picked up some 3" flat bar to weld on inside of tub.This way i can weld thru the holes on the outside of the tub to stick em together.Seems to work good since their were about a dozen holes to fill on each side.

Left the pic's of the flat bar install on the camera at house so this is the best i could do here back at the shop.Also I added a pic of the tailgate chain's after they got moved a little south and west of old position.The plan on stage 2 of the build is to add a lid to the trailer.This way we know for sure it is not going to be a clearance issue.
jeep-trailer-078_edited-1.jpg   jeep-trailer-076_edited-1.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

....and this is a pic of my partner holding the first flat bar for me.too bad you can't see anything I'm talking about.lol.
jeep-trailer-065_1024.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

look what daddy got in the mail........
jeep-trailer-056_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-077_1024.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #23
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did a little body filler where needed and sanded everything down. What do you think about the color?

Shot it with a gun the paint store said was a Ok one for what I was working on.(just hate to buy cheap tools!)
Does anyone know if it is a paint gun I need to keep or will it be a throw away??
jeep-trailer-092_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-086_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-080_1024.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #24
Taylor87
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I love what you have done with this M416! Keep up the posts!

I am curious, what are the measurements of the floor area? Is it long enough to throw a sleeping bag in for the night?
Taylor87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

On to the bed liner.Got the monstaliner in the other day.Those guys are first class customer service all the way.glad to be able to buy from a JF vendor and can not say enough good about this product.If they say it...they do it.That's what holds water with me.

Anyway.. here is the link
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i...d-line-875162/

Prep work was super easy for me since the sandblasting took care of the rust and loose stuff.Went ahead and followed per the instructions
sanded all areas down with the provided pad.cleaned it all up with MEK (found it at local Sherwin Williams) then applied 2 coats of the liner.Ordered the 1 gallon kit off the web site but it did not need that much.No big deal cause it was fun rolling it on.Put it on as thick as it would allow me to between coats.
Those boys made it so you can roll it on with one hand.This keeps the other one free to hold the beer.

Thats about it on the . It really is that easy to do.My best advise is to start your first coat mid morning because you are going to need about 3 hours in between coats to set up a little.Remember the clock is ticking with the stuff mixed in the can (12 hour life i think is what they said).This way you can go do some stuff and eat a bite of lunch before the next coat is ready to be applied.I started after I got done in the shop after work
(6:30pm) so it was kinda a bummer watching paint dry till 9pm on a work night while it tacked up. Shiner kept me in good company so no worries.
jeep-trailer-116_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-118_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-117_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-124_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-126_1024.jpg  

Unread 05-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

that thing is pure sex
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Very very nice sir!
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #28
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.It means a lot to me.
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #29
Wrenchands

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome. Keep the updates coming.
Rhinolined entire Exterior black, and Herculined interior.
Axles: 5.13 gears. Dynatrac ProRock 44 with ARB up front, Rear XJ 44 with Detroit locker and disc conversion.
Steering: Currie Extreme and PSC Hydro-assist

Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2973108
Wrenchands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #30
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor87 View Post
I love what you have done with this M416! Keep up the posts!

I am curious, what are the measurements of the floor area? Is it long enough to throw a sleeping bag in for the night?
The inside floor is 3 foot 5x 6 foot long.Never thought about it but that might be just enough room to in.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.