My little M416 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > My little M416

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My little M416

Well here goes...I have been wanting to have a trailer just for my 05' TJ since I got it.The other small trailers worked fine for hauling brush to the bottom pasture or the weekend trips to Home Depot but lacked in the looks when going on a trip.:hahaha: :mad:
Since I am new to the Jeep world and kind of a green horn when it comes to turning wrench's I thought it would be a good idea to hold off on molesting the TJ with newbee ideas.Thought if more time was spent learning how to do things like paint,body work,brakes,and axles on the trailer then it would give a better insight on the ways NOT to do with my pride.:2thumbsup: Also,it could give me a chance to pick up some well needed tools to boot.

SO...here she is in all her rusted up glory.It should be a fun ride.:cheers2:

jeep-trailer-001.jpg   jeep-trailer-008.jpg   jeep-trailer-009.jpg   jeep-trailer-019.jpg   jeep-trailer-015.jpg  

hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I see someone did the tailgate mod on your trailer.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sexy trailer. I like. Wish I could find one for myself though...
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm searching to find out how to change the size of the pic's I post but am not getting anywhere.Does anyone know how to do this so it wont be this annoying to stare at??
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
I see someone did the tailgate mod on your trailer.
Yep. I was told by the PO that it was a radio trailer and the tailgate was a mod the military did soon after delivery. Don't know how much I believe of that story with the gate but it did have a plaque on the front showing it was in fact used as a radio trailer. Who knows. Will try to research that to see where it goes.

Stripped it down to nothing and sending it to the sand blasting boys. Hope it resembles a trailer next time I see her.

I will post a pic of the radio plaque tomorrow.Hope someone here knows anything about this so we can shed some light on it.
Unread 05-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

here is the pic of the attached radio plate.
jeep-trailer-003_edited-1_1024.jpg  
Unread 05-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As soon as I got the bed away from the frame I figured that maybe it might not be hard to just remove the rust myself with a grinder wire brush.It only took a few hours of going nowhere and a lot of not paying any attendtion to lose a pair of pants (and almost the reason i wear them!!) before giving in to defeat and sending her to the sandblaster.
jeep-trailer-027_1024.jpg  
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I used aircraft remover to take alot of the paint off my trailer. As for the frame, my was clean enough that I simply hit with a wire brush to knock the worst off, then cleaned and applied chassis saver.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Spent some time with the axle while the trailer was at the sandblaster.Removed the drums to find everything was in great shape.No leaks,no pitting,no nothing.
Even the park brake shoes seem to be more then 50% left on them both! sweet
So i repacked the bearings and sanded the axle down to give it a couple of cans of rattle can.dont know what to do about the axle just yet...

Can someone please give some insight on the hubs? Seems that I hit a brick wall on lack of info with the search bar.My M416 came with a large hub dust cap.4 wheel parts sent me a set of wheel adaptors to go from 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 so i can run OEM rims.NEGATIVE.. That dust cap just wont fit inside the center of the adaptor.and from the looks of it,there is just not enough meat left if I was to have it machined out.HELP PLEASE
jeep-trailer-033_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-032_1024.jpg   jeep-trailer-036_1024.jpg  
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have both a PDF file and paper copy of the TM 9-2330-251-14&P that may be helpful but will need an email address to send it...or a fax number. You can also visit this site "g503.com" for everything you could ever hope to know or find about the M416 trailer. Good luck.
Unread 05-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

jawalterusmc, that PDF has everything including the sink.lol thanks again for sharing.
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got the body and frame back from the sandblasters but forgot to take a pic before i started shooting it with primer.Let me tell you that yall did not miss anything here...the primer was a exact match as the cleaned metal.It was pretty hard to see where the paint was getting applied at. Once one of my buddies came by and opened the door a little to get some of those fumes out I could see the wetness of the paint compaired to the dry metal.
jeep-trailer-038_1024.jpg  
Unread 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Spent some time with the frame....

shot it with primer and then undercoated the whole sha-bang.I love that stuff! Missed some of the cross braces in the pic but letting it tack up before i give it another try.
jeep-trailer-039_1024.jpg  
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Finished up the undercoating.Looking good

Took the frame to the barn to get a feel for the height.Some people have done the SOA on their trailers.Really did not any idea the true height that it would bring.
So....6 beers (3 kicked over) here I am. Stuck the Jeep next to it just to find it WAY too tall.Next to the Jeep it looked like a monster Well...guess the only thing to do is kick over 3 more beers.
jeep-trailer-045.jpg   jeep-trailer-048.jpg  
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #15
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It has been really cool doing this build cause every nut and bolt has been removed with ease using the jeeps onboard air system & 1/2" air tools. That has got to be the smartest money I have spent yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.