MY JKU Towing My New Travel Trailer (pics inside) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > MY JKU Towing My New Travel Trailer (pics inside)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

MY JKU Towing My New Travel Trailer (pics inside)

So it followed me home, so I had to keep it. It is my new Jayco 184BH. I have only pulled it about 40 miles so far 20-ish were interstate, and the rest was stop and go and speed limits of 55mph. So not really easy towing, but I was averaging 13mph at 60-62 mph.

It tows fantastic... much better that I had thought or hoped. We graduated up from a popup camper because "Momma" need a potty and shower. I have to admit that I am happy with it as well.

I will be ordering a Superchip programer from Kolak today (by far the best price Ive seen). Ill make sure to post my results for the towing and 91 mode when I get that done.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for looking.

X

Ask me why you should not buy anything from 4 Wheel Online
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
lazerpunk

Nice looking trailer. The layout is nice, does it have a lot of storage? What kind of AC unit does it have, is see some type of vent above the front window, is it for the AC?

We had to have a flush toilet as well when we bought our little 16' TT. We love it, pull it all over the US. We are heading to Colorodo, Wyoming, Idaho next Tuesday. About 5500 miles round trip. Last year it was to Califonia coast 7500mi + on that trip. We were towing with a 2007 JKU Sahara it stock has 4:10's. I installed a Superchips Flashpaq as well. I leave it on the Tow tune all the time, it drives better. The 87,91,94 etc. tunes didn't really seem as good as the tow tune. We now are going to pull with our new 2012 JKUR, we went with the Rubicon cause it is the only way you can get 4:10's stock. Gears make a huge difference. The new engine and trans. seem like a world of difference.

As for "Not real easy towing" you live in Kansas, it doesn't get much flatter than that. You will want to invest in a good hitch setup if you plan on towing it all over. I recommend a Hensley or ProPide hitch. We have a Hensley and when you are towing at near capacity of the Jeep it is nice. When you hit some side winds or a big Semi passing you, you will be happy to have it.

Drive safe

2012 Unlimited Rubicon, Crush, Auto, Dual Top, 430N w/nav, Max Tow
lazerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

We're looking at something similar. How does did that one run? Before tax - if you guys have taxes. Were you able to negotiate on price or was it priced as take it or leave it?
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Mtnmn99
2008 JK Wrangler 

I purchased a Starcraft AR-One not to long ago for hunting camping ect. Mine is a bit smaller 15RB. I am surprised how nice it tows.

Congrats on your trailer, so far I love mine
1995 YJ My Rockrig
http://offroadjournal.blogspot.com/
www.wheelingpiazzas.com
Mtnmn99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The TT has a window unit AC above the front dinette/bed. It works well, but not fantastic on a 100 degree day. On a 100 degree day it will cool the camper down to about 75. It tows well now, but I have ordered a friction sway controller for it. I imagine that the semi's would play havock with the camper. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s01_i01

The storage is FANTASTIC. Originally I was worried that I would not have enough storage. As of now, it looks like we are going to have tons of extra storage. Right now, we have only used about 30%. My wife will probably fill the rest up with shoes and extra clothes (LOL).

This one was $10,500 new. There were a cople cheaper ones within a couple hours drive from where I was at, but my dealer really went the extra mile for me. He let me take it on a couple practice tows and hooked me up with some wiring for the Jeep. There was another 184BH that was 170 miles from me and they were asking $10,100. They were originally asking $11,000 for mine, but I showed them their competitor and the agreed to come down in price and meet me in the middle. It is pretty tough to negotiate on the smaller TT as there is not a ton of profit for them in it. The bigger the TT... game on.

X

Unread 07-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Mtnmn99
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am very intrested in your results of towing with the new chip. I have 35's and tow my 15RB, really could use a bit of extra power in a headwind.

Dont get me wrong it tows pretty good, just the wind really sucks.
1995 YJ My Rockrig
www.wheelingpiazzas.com
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
the_cable_guy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Do you guys have auto's and if so do you have a trans cooler. I just bought a jayco 154bh and going to pick up a unlimited soon. Thanks
Unread 07-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did install a tranny cooler. When I measure the in temps and the out temps with my laser temp gun I get about 25-35 degree drop.

As for the superchips flashpaq, It does seem to help. My auto tranny stays in gear longer and isn't so quick to downshift. It also adds about 30lb of torque with the 91 octane. I am happy with the performance. The one thing that makes me a little upset is that it will not display my tranny temp. No matter what I do, it will not display it.

I also added a friction sway bar that helps a lot.

As for the brake controller... There is a panel at the bottom of the dash that comes off. I was able to mount my brake controller inside there. I have it adjusted well and I put the panel back on. If it rains, I can pull that panel back off and have access to my controller quickly to add in some braking or have access to the manual braking switch.

X

Unread 07-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
budmanm3
2012 JK Wrangler 

What kinda of weight are we looking at here?
Unread 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2690 dry

Unread 07-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
budmanm3
2012 JK Wrangler 

Damn thats a perfect size for the jeep.. i was orginally looking to get a lightweight to tow with my jeep, but i think i will hold out as i want something bigger than most lightweights in jeep range offer. Going to get the wife a SUV that can haul something heavier eventaully i guess
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Mtnmn99
2008 JK Wrangler 

The size is perfect for the Jeep. I was very worried about weight behind the Jeep. I run 35's and have the stick, so far no problems. I am no speed demon, but it gets the job done.

The true test is coming in September during my 2 week long trip into the wilderness. I will have some large hills to climb with 20mph switchbacks. This will test the Jeep.
1995 YJ My Rockrig
www.wheelingpiazzas.com
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would like a full report on those switchbacks!

Unread 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I just finished a 2300 mile round trip vacation pulling the new camper. The Jeep did great. Eventually I got to the point that I forgot it was even back there. Depending on the terrain and the amount of zeal on my right foot, I got as low as 11mpg and as high as 14.5mpg. I towed the entire time with OD off. I experimented with the Superchips towing vs stock tune and I couldn't tell much difference. I didn't mess with the advanced options, just used the basic tow tune and stock tune. Not worth the extra cost of buying 91 octane.

As for weight, like I said it did just fine, although suspension needs to be tweaked. I installed the Teraflex leveling kit, but I never installed the rear because the front had perfectly level, so I will now be installing the rear 1 in spacers. It didn't sag too much if I carefully managed my to the weight. The water tankYl is in the front of the camper and it holds 25 gallons of water. I tried to leave as little water as we might need to use the potty and wash our hands, and brush our teeth in route. Bottoms line is I had some sag in the rear. At times it was worse than others.

No worries pulling my rig though. Good tow mirrors, careful weight distribution, and all is/will be good!

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jayco really seems to be dominating this light weight market. I have two neighbors with Jayco trailers and both are raving about them. I guess that there is so much demand for a unit that one can pull with a very nicely driveable tow rig like yours. Seems like a really healthy trend. Tow packages and lower gear ratios. Performance chips, air bags, etc. all add to the experience.

Tongue weight can be approximated with a yardstick. Measure receiver height with trailer loaded and attached. Then get to same height without trailer by having a few guys stand on the ball mount and bumper. Add weight of guys and you have tongue weight. But, I suspect those Jayco trailers are pretty well balanced and may not need much checking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.