My Jeep lights work when it's on the trailer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep lights work when it's on the trailer

Rather than hijack a YJ thread I just read, thought I'd mention this here, a trick I did that everyone that sees it seem to like.

There are 4 wires needed to operate the red lights in the back of my YJ, taillight, left-brakelight/turnsignal, right-brakelight/turnsignal, and ground. I bought three pairs of the 4 wire waterproof connectors they sell everywhere (one end 3bare+1protected and other end 3protected+1bare). I cut the 4 Jeep wires in the left rear inside of my YJ and put in a connector pair to connect them back up again. I turned another connector pair into a 6' long 'extention cord' so to speak. The Trailer has a 5th connector of the proper end (3bare+1protected).

When the Jeep is on the trailer, I run the extention cord from the light side of the Jeep to the trailer. The Jeep lights now work with the trailer light power. When the Jeep is off the trailer, in use, the connectors inside are reconnected and the 6th connector is used as a weather cover for the bare trailer connector.

You could eliminate one pair if you let the 6' part be permanently connected to the trailer and just coil it up and secure it at the trailer end, or permanent at the Jeep end.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
jipjip

that's awesome. do your trailer lights work also, or do you just use the jeep lights as the trailer lights?
is this legal?
it's deffinately a good idea for flat towing too!!! you should patent the idea QUICK!!!

95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep is in addition to the trailer lights. A friend who follows me to trails often said he seemed to always be suprised by me stopping because it was his nature to look at the rear end of the vehicle in front of him, not the little trailler lights 10" off the ground. Now whatever red light gets your focus while you drive behind me will light up when I stop.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 AM
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

GREAT IDEA.

Adds a measure of safety for a very minimal price.

I am replying to this to bring it to the front of the line so more people read it.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsrtr View Post
GREAT IDEA.
Thank you. I have since swapped out the connectors for the 6-pin trailer connectors (1" or so barrel style) so the backup lights now work too.

Web Admin for

post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM
MuddyJeepZJ

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pics?

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2003 Dodge Ram 3500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.