Moab bound with new trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Moab bound with new trailer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Moab bound with new trailer

Headed to Moab in the morning for 6 days of fun. Never been before and have been reading up/researching for a month now. Picked up a new 16x7 10K trailer this morning to tow the TJ. Will be about a 2000 mile r/t.

tophog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am sure that you already have this, but just in case, be sure to get Wells' book from Amazon since you will end up buying it in Moab anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/1934838004/ref=la_B001JOZTQ6_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336285266&sr=1-2

Personally, I would not go back out there without a handheld GPS since cell service is quite chancy in the canyons. And, always go in pairs since most everything is too remote to comfortably walk out when your rigs breaks.

PS, something wrong with link above but you can save about $10 from the price out in Moab.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Yes, already bought the book and read it I found GPS tracks for most of the trails which uploaded in my Garmin 500.

Landed in Twin Falls for the night ... 650 mile day. Should be in Moab mid afternoon tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I am sure that you already have this, but just in case, be sure to get Wells' book from Amazon since you will end up buying it in Moab anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/1934838004/ref=la_B001JOZTQ6_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336285266&sr=1-2

Personally, I would not go back out there without a handheld GPS since cell service is quite chancy in the canyons. And, always go in pairs since most everything is too remote to comfortably walk out when your rigs breaks.

PS, something wrong with link above but you can save about $10 from the price out in Moab.
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How did the trip go? pics? havent been in years now, getting the itch real bad. Going to make it happen next year, wife, baby, doesnt matter I am going!!!!
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The trip went well. It was more of a family outing with some Jeepin thrown in. I would like to go back again and do some more difficult trails. Since we were basically alone on every trail I couldn't get too crazy as I didn't want to get stranded with wife, son and dog Lots of great scenery. We only did two trails on the Difficult list, Poison Spider and Kane Creek. The others were considered easy/intermediate on the 4x4 scale. I did break a right front OME shock on Poison Spider ...actually it came completely apart. There is a recent thread in the TJ section about the shock. The Moab Jeep trails book is a must have. My Garmin Nuvi 500 loaded with GPS files of the trails was also very helpful. Weather was perfect ...sunny and around 80-85 every day. Here are a few pictures.

Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon, Long Creek and Finns-n-Things Trails: http://imgur.com/a/EvGjW#0

Dome Plateau: http://imgur.com/a/E62KZ#0

Poison Spider Mesa: http://imgur.com/a/nXwQX#0

Shaffer Trail: http://imgur.com/a/k7MDP#0

Kane Creek: http://imgur.com/a/aHRg5#0
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounded like a good time.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

hey man have you ever thought about putting helper air spring (or air bags) on the rear to help with the ride and to help with towing?
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How did the trailer work out? Any specific reason you went with a 10k instead of 7k trailer? I'm about to get one myself ( PJ or Iron Eagle it looks like ). Anything you learned about the trailer selection that you can pass along?
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The trailer worked great and towed great. I went with 10K vice 7K once I saw the size difference of the axles and the cost difference was like $200 so I opted for the 10K thinking I may want to haul something heavier than the jeep in the future. The trailer is built by a mom/pop shop here in Oregon that has a very good reputation. He basically builds trailers for companies that sell his trailers but he also sells direct. All LED lights, very high quality.

Regarding airbags ...never really considered it. Truck doesn't squat that must negative compared to level with the jeep and it towed just fine (no swaying, etc.) The pickup ride is still soft and I'm used to 3/4 ton diesel trucks so the 150 is like a car to me. I have a 17' boat I pull to but it's lighter than the jeep setup so no reason right now to add airbags. I've had them on past pickups and they have their own pro/cons.

I will say a lot of people like leveling their pickups with leveling kits ..(mine is stock so the rear sits up about 1.5" higher than front when empty) and when they haul a load the truck squats badly and headlights are in the trees. Airbags can correct that though but it's just another self-induced expense so I leave my truck stock and throw a couple sandbags in the bed to help level it some and improve the ride.
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
The trailer worked great and towed great. I went with 10K vice 7K once I saw the size difference of the axles and the cost difference was like $200 so I opted for the 10K thinking I may want to haul something heavier than the jeep in the future. The trailer is built by a mom/pop shop here in Oregon that has a very good reputation. He basically builds trailers for companies that sell his trailers but he also sells direct. All LED lights, very high quality.

Regarding airbags ...never really considered it. Truck doesn't squat that must negative compared to level with the jeep and it towed just fine (no swaying, etc.) The pickup ride is still soft and I'm used to 3/4 ton diesel trucks so the 150 is like a car to me. I have a 17' boat I pull to but it's lighter than the jeep setup so no reason right now to add airbags. I've had them on past pickups and they have their own pro/cons.

I will say a lot of people like leveling their pickups with leveling kits ..(mine is stock so the rear sits up about 1.5" higher than front when empty) and when they haul a load the truck squats badly and headlights are in the trees. Airbags can correct that though but it's just another self-induced expense so I leave my truck stock and throw a couple sandbags in the bed to help level it some and improve the ride.

The air bag guy posts that as a solution to all problems. I'm not against them, but the posts are really no help.

Your set up looks great to me. Mom and pop shops do a great job on trailers as the welding is often done more carefully than an assembly line operation. And, the LED's are the best.

You have a really nice set up.
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
rideraa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think your 10k tires will be much more reliable with the Jeep then the 7k ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.