Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #106
Hashbrown
Blissfully Unaware

1980 CJ7 

I bet at least 50 scorpions have made it their home. Sleep well next trip Marn......

Unread 09-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #107
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashbrown View Post
I bet at least 50 scorpions have made it their home. Sleep well next trip Marn......
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #108
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashbrown
No scorpions have been seen where the camper lives! It's weird, they tend to be in patches around the city. My boss nor the workers have ever seen one up at the yard

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #109
Hashbrown
Blissfully Unaware

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
No scorpions have been seen where the camper lives! It's weird, they tend to be in patches around the city. My boss nor the workers have ever seen one up at the yard
Cause they are all holed up in the camper......
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #110
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay.

Ill report back.

And if I don't get back to you, you were right and I am being consumed by scorpions.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #111
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So i have had the camper out a few times this year.

Pics from Mt. charleston, macks canyon road.

Here's the video from the 2nd trip up there, got engaged to my woman on this trip

Unread 09-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #112
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've heard folks say that when you own a camper or RV, you're fixing something every time you use it. That's true. I had neglected a few things and brought the camper home this weekend to fix a bunch.

The flip over counter top had separated from the frame. This caused the faucet to crack from the weight being dropped on it. I fixed that, and reinforced it. Replaced all the staples with screws and filled in with some liquid nails. The top (with the dark brown trip) had separated from the frame its sitting on (with the handle)

reinforced and repaired

old faucet was cracked.

replaced:

the bottom hinge on the door broke off. I drilled out the rivets and used screws to mount it, reinforced with liquid nails.

Reinforced the hinge for the counter top too, both on the frame and on the actual hinge (not shown).

then I went through and used screws to secure a few areas where the plastic frame that the canvas mounts to back to the wooden roof of the camper. some of the staples had pulled out and the canvas was coming away from the roof. All better now.

Also inside there there is a seal in the metal ceiling sheeting, the staples had pulled out so I went through and screwed that back to the roof as well. Unfortunately there is some rot in the plywood roof, water gets in somehow through the top seam and if there is a hard rain when the camper has been stored, I can open it up and theres a small puddle on the front bed from the water. Its not bad and because its so dry here there is no mold, and the roof is still solid.

Anyway, got a whole bunch done to it in preparation for a trip this weekend.

Sure my neighbors loved seeing this all day.

Dropped her off back at our service yard.

Unread 10-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #113
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Rolled out to havasu over the weekend and spent a few nights camping on the beach.

image-3822923817.jpg

image-2615051362.jpg

I felt a little outgunned surrounded by the massive RV's in our group

image-3030135677.jpg

image-3830941180.jpg

image-3251819791.jpg

Unread 10-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #114
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Nice video and congrats again on the engagement.

And once again cool to see an old popup still living on.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #115
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've noticed some sort of electrical problem.

Whenever I have the campers lights on, there is some sort of drain on my electrical system. On the trip to havasu, I was driving about 2 hours with my headlights on, when we arrived at the beach the truck would barely stay running at idle. If i let off the gas or shifted it would die. It was slow to crank as well.

I noticed this a while back (last winter) when I hooked it up and if i turned on the lights the trucks idle would drop and it would be unstable. I replaced my battery on the truck (which was indeed in need of replacement and figured that was enough for now. Sort of forgot about it at that point.

After unhooking the trailer in Havasu, I let the truck run for a bit and the ammeter DID show that the battery was taking a charge. I'm not sure how long i had run it with the lights on in the past, though I never noticed any issue with it before that trip this past winter. I'm not sure if there's a short, or some high amount of resistance somewhere or something that is causing this drain, or if maybe my alt is just bad on the jeep? at idle it still puts out 14.whatever volts (at the plug on the alt) but i'm not sure how much amperage it's pushing. When i'm driving with my headlights on, and say my heater, at idle my volt meter only shows like 10.5-11 volts.

Unread 10-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #116
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

On older vehicles a "good" way to test the alternator is to disconnect the battery while it's running. A good alternator should keep it running without the battery.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #117
coxhaus
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I've noticed some sort of electrical problem.

Whenever I have the campers lights on, there is some sort of drain on my electrical system. On the trip to havasu, I was driving about 2 hours with my headlights on, when we arrived at the beach the truck would barely stay running at idle. If i let off the gas or shifted it would die. It was slow to crank as well.

I noticed this a while back (last winter) when I hooked it up and if i turned on the lights the trucks idle would drop and it would be unstable. I replaced my battery on the truck (which was indeed in need of replacement and figured that was enough for now. Sort of forgot about it at that point.

After unhooking the trailer in Havasu, I let the truck run for a bit and the ammeter DID show that the battery was taking a charge. I'm not sure how long i had run it with the lights on in the past, though I never noticed any issue with it before that trip this past winter. I'm not sure if there's a short, or some high amount of resistance somewhere or something that is causing this drain, or if maybe my alt is just bad on the jeep? at idle it still puts out 14.whatever volts (at the plug on the alt) but i'm not sure how much amperage it's pushing. When i'm driving with my headlights on, and say my heater, at idle my volt meter only shows like 10.5-11 volts.
Sounds like a alternator problem. I would have it checked at an alternator shop or most auto parts stores can check it for you.
CJ7 79 258 Clifford Stage II, intake, headers, cam, and head. Weber 38x38 w Cagle, Rancho 2 1/2 body Mallory dist and MSD, dual batteries Ramsey winch T18 Dana 20 with Teraflex gears AMC 20 ARB disc Dana 30 Lockright Aero 26 gal tank Tomken Machine bumpers and swing out spare tire. 33" procomp Xterrain tires.
coxhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #118
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bad cable connections or alternator.
It's not putting out with a load on it or the charge isn't making it to battery terminal.
I would check cable connections cuz 14.xVolts at idle seems a little high which is indicative of a bad connection.
An alternator usually doesn't like it when the battery is disconnected while running... load spikes. If you need to test it do it on a bench IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.