Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #61
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, successful trip up to Ely and back this past weekend.

Boilin' some brat's in beer before throwing them on the grill.

Made ourselves at home...a messy home...

All ready for the return trip:

Overall, it was great to have the camper. Its so nice to not have to 'go outside' for stuff, and to have all your gear in the camper, you can stand up, walk around, etc.

I diud, however, discover that my heater doesnt work. Pilot works, thermostat works, the blower works, but the burner would not light. I'm hoping its just a thermocouple, which will be an easy fix.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #62
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Hate to say it, but if the pilot is staying lit, the thermocouple is working properly. If the burner will not light it sounds like the gas valve isn't functioning.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #63
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hmmm. That's not good then huh?

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 10-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #64
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Nice license plate!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #65
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Hmmm. That's not good then huh?
I'm looking at the same problem with the pool heater at the place I work at. The valve STARTS at $275 and goes up depending on how good a one we want.

Now, granted yours is going to be a MUCH smaller gas pipe than our 500,000BTU heater uses, but it's still not going to be cheap.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #66
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
I'm looking at the same problem with the pool heater at the place I work at. The valve STARTS at $275 and goes up depending on how good a one we want.

Now, granted yours is going to be a MUCH smaller gas pipe than our 500,000BTU heater uses, but it's still not going to be cheap.
I'll pull the thing out, take it apart, clean it, etc and see where it goes from there.

Quote:

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #67
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Can you do me a favor and take a pic of the business end of the heater please? The burner, thermocouple, pilot, etc. Lemme see what system it is and I'll see if I can give some pointers of stuff to test.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 10-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #68
PALMERC

ELY!!!!

My neck of the woods, good ole northern Nevada landscape...
Just returned from Elk hunt and your project is cool...
I just bought a CJ8 and plan on coming up with a little vintage project like u have done. Just hard to beat my wall tent

thanks for the ideas
PALMERC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #69
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well now...I got enough initiative to actually do something.

The front of my camper previously looked as such:

Judging by the fresh chips in my paint, and the way the thin aluminum sheeting looks like it was actually peppered with bird shot, i determined that this is from 30 years of having rocks flung at it by driving down dirt roads. Pretty sure I'm correct. Thats the only messed up part on the body of the camer, the rest is straight as an arrow!

So, I decided to fix this. A buddy gave me a chunk of diamond plate, and i went to work.

test fitting after the first cut and notch:

Now, i was retarded and traced the notch on the second side wrong, and cut it too far over (forgot to flip the template). I'll either leave it open or put the little piece back in, i dunno how much I care.

Got them both on there, and semi-permanently attached (drilled a hole in each corner, and used self-tappers to attach to the camper siding. i'm going to add 2 or 4 more screws to make sure its all secure. But here's they're just being mocked up.

Went back and chopped a hole for the crank handle, and mounted the door for that to the diamond plate itself. (again, not fully attached so dont mind the gap along the left side, it's not screw down tight)

Got it all finished up, again, still missing the last few screws.

Now here's where I'm stuck. Not sure how to 'finish' them, and what to do about the notch i cut out wrong.

I'd like to fill the notch with the piece i cut out, i can just JB weld it back in and it wont be too noticable. But do i paint the diamond plate to match the camper, or do i leave it diamond platey?

If i paint it, it'll look better, but it'll still require touch ups to the paint because it will still get chipped. Plus, it'll cover up the incorrect notch i made when i repair it.

If i dont paint it, it wont need as much attention over time, but the notch will be more noticable, and i think it looks kinda bro-esque. Like I should have my 4 wheelers and dirt bikes on top of it or something, on my way to the dunes.

LETS JUMP SOME DUNES BRO!!!!!!!!

No, but seriously, paint them or leave them silvery?

Quote:

Unread 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #70
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is a great addition to your waggy. I love it.

Well, the diamond plate would look much better painted the same color as the rest of the camper but then you have to worry about touching it up when more rocks hit it. I say use tint-able Raptor liner on the diamond plate...at least that is the route I would take.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #71
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

Make sure you put some caulk behind there around those screw holes. Don't want water getting in there.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #72
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAbuzer View Post
This is a great addition to your waggy. I love it.

Well, the diamond plate would look much better painted the same color as the rest of the camper but then you have to worry about touching it up when more rocks hit it. I say use tint-able Raptor liner on the diamond plate...at least that is the route I would take.
Not a bad idea....but $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieShep View Post
Make sure you put some caulk behind there around those screw holes. Don't want water getting in there.
I had THOUGHT about running a silicon bead around the edges....but with the 2 times it rains per year out here, i'm not super worried about it. plus, there's not actually any way for the water to get 'trapped' behind the plates. it will all just run right out if it even gets in there. the siding ehin them is so dented in there's tons of air space.

Quote:

Unread 12-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #73
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I kinda like the look and definitely the low maintenance of the diamond plate. The Raptor idea sounds good too other than the cost.

Just thinking out loud would a small piece of aluminum angle just big enough to cover that chunk placed on both side looks decent? It would look structural like a mounting bracket.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #74
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj98 View Post
I kinda like the look and definitely the low maintenance of the diamond plate. The Raptor idea sounds good too other than the cost.

Just thinking out loud would a small piece of aluminum angle just big enough to cover that chunk placed on both side looks decent? It would look structural like a mounting bracket.
Thats not a bad idea at all, plus it would add a little protection to the lip of the siding. Hmmm! I shall think about that.

Quote:

Unread 12-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #75
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of U channel, maybe J channel would be better. Just a thought.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.