Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #31
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

ooooooo, got you. thats not a bad idea!

I could keep my surge brakes.

as spider mentioned, what would be used for hubs? Doesnt the D-35 require the pumpkin and gears to hold the axle shafts in? I thought they had C-clips inside the carrier

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #32
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hmm, maybe a D35 is a bad candidate... How about an AMC 20 if you want to keep it Jeep related... I'm sure there are plenty of junkyard axles with flanges / hubs instead of c-clips.

Edit: Or just put the D35 under there 100% complete. It's not like you'll apply torque to the carrier, so the shafts will never break. C-clips can do their job and life is good. It'll just weigh a little more and clunk on big rocks if you drag it over them. This would be an extremely cheap temp fix until you figure out what you want to do later on down the road.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #33
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hell, somebody might actually pay YOU to haul away their old D35
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #34
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i can get a local one from a YJ for $20 bucks. But, that would still require springs and hangers and all that crapola. We'll see where it goes.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #35
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just go to the local tractor supply and get the parts you need. Building a trailer axle is super easy! Dont use a D35 under the camper, thats just gay.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #36
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

found the solution to all my problems right here.

I realized that without modifying the frame heavily (cutting and moving parts) I'm only going to be able to run about a 24" tire because the gap in the frame where the wheels sit is only 25.5" wide.

I wouldnt be able to run a 25" or larger tire without having the MAJORITY of the tire entirely under the bottom edge of the frame. I cant go outboard with the wheels because it'll be way too wide too.

So, upgrading to a 5 lug would give me limited benefits because i could only run a small tire.

Well, I'll just get some 175/80D13's with a 4 lug rim and call it a day.

24.5" tire, keep my axle, lift it with blocks, and be finished.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...a/AM3S120.html

Quote:

Unread 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #37
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

That little camper doesn't weigh anything even if Danny loads it full of junk. Don't worry about the brakes. They are a waste of time. Your wheel change sounds okay. Make sure you've got clearance with the springs depressed. No matter what you do, if you use it long enough, you'll end up skidding the short couple little bugger somewhere. Some skid pan plate in the right place might be a good idea. Everyone that camps off of the beaten path with these things skids them sooner or later.
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
grogie
Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Good advice about the skid plate.

Anyway, cool pop-up! Looks like a gem and nice cleanup and painting! The original brochure is awesome. Is that Buick Skylark pulling it?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #39
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, progress was made!

With the help of a VERY GENEROUS member here on JF, who not only donated some steel, but also his time and tools and expertise this morning to help me knock this out. and when i say help me, i mean allow me to help him do about 90% of the work, haha.

For references, here's how it sat when I bought it.

I could barely back it into my driveway without scraping the concrete with the back bumper.

So, my plan was originally to add some blocks essentially, between the frame and the brackets on the torsion axle.

So, I headed over to his house with that in mind.

We ended up going a different, much simpler route. First we dropped the axle.

We grabbed some 20something inch long chunks of angle iron, and just used them to create a lower mounting surface for the axle brackets. So rather mounting to the bottom of the frame, they were mounted about 3"lower. There were flanges on the side of the frame that centered the axle, and the axle brackets bolted to the flanges (bolts were horizontal) Well, we just used the existing hardware and holes to mount the angle iron, then mounted the axle to that through the top of the brackets, rather than the side, through existing holes.

had to drill a few extra holes. whoops. measure once cut twice is the motto, right? haha.

So you can see how we mounted the angle iron, and then just bolted the axle to it. Easy Peasy.

preview looked good!

drove it home and it sits sooo much closer to level now, its awesome. When I add the bigger tires it should be almost perfectly level, and if not, close enough.

Quote:

Unread 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #40
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Did you give him some fancy Belgiun beer to drink for all of that work?
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #41
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nope. Pizza. And ill buy.him a few rounds at our local fancy beer bar though.

Quote:

Unread 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #42
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, I did essentially the same thing when I lifted our old Starcraft. You might wanna think about putting a couple gussets in there. The frame is about this >< thick, you wouldn't want to have an emergency maneuver on rough terrain make your frame tweak due to the added torque of the lift.

And speaking as one of the doofasses in this other forum, give a look-see to the availability of 13" tires at the average tire shop (or even... God forbid.... a generic gas station 100 miles from a decent sized town). Don't buy tires thinking to under-inflate them to get a softer ride. Keep your tires inflated to their rated pressure, the sidewall flex of under-inflated trailer tires lets highway heat kill them prematurely. You don't want a blow-out in the middle of nowhere with small diameter tires. BTDT.

Your rig and toad looks like a great combo now. Here's to all your future camp trips under the canvas!
Unread 09-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #43
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48
Yup, I did essentially the same thing when I lifted our old Starcraft. You might wanna think about putting a couple gussets in there. The frame is about this >< thick, you wouldn't want to have an emergency maneuver on rough terrain make your frame tweak due to the added torque of the lift.

And speaking as one of the doofasses in this other forum, give a look-see to the availability of 13" tires at the average tire shop (or even... God forbid.... a generic gas station 100 miles from a decent sized town). Don't buy tires thinking to under-inflate them to get a softer ride. Keep your tires inflated to their rated pressure, the sidewall flex of under-inflated trailer tires lets highway heat kill them prematurely. You don't want a blow-out in the middle of nowhere with small diameter tires. BTDT.

Your rig and toad looks like a great combo now. Here's to all your future camp trips under the canvas!
Yup I know all the 13" availability issues and the underinflation issues.

I will have a spare tire. :-)

Quote:

Unread 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #44
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Soooo......

I made some videos.

Quote:

Unread 09-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice videos...steady cam?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.