Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

We camped this weekend in the high country of the Bighorns. I thought I'd send a picture or two of our pop-up in action. It's not as pretty as yours, Marn, but it gets the job done. My wife has named it Margeret.

lick-creek-2.jpg   lick-creek.jpg   lick-creek-3.jpg  
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Since the downloading is going so well, I thought I'd ad a picture or two of my partners in Crime, Butche the cheasapeake Bay Retriever and Belle the English Setter.
I'll quit hogging your new site now, Marn.
butch.jpg   belle.jpg  
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pumpkin View Post
We camped this weekend in the high country of the Bighorns. I thought I'd send a picture or two of our pop-up in action. It's not as pretty as yours, Marn, but it gets the job done. My wife has named it Margeret.
looks like a pretty awesome setup and location to me!

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So, I went to work with paint and wood grain today.

I hemmed and hawed about how to make it best match the waggy with the combo of wood and paint today....If I did 1 thick stripe it would have been centered between the two stripes where they are now. however, the area above and below that (where the stripes are now) is textured like wood and the area in between is corrugated like the rest of the aluminum and would have looked weird.

If I kept just 1 thin stripe it was way too much tan.

I thought about making a thicker strip where the top one is but then half of the vinyl would have been on wood textures aluminum and the lower half would have been kn smooth but corrugated aluminum and it would have covered a horizontal seam as well.

I went back and forth on it all morning. Unfortunately the materials and textures kinda dictated where it would look correct. This is how it came from the factory (as far as the layout not actual colors). I decided it was fine to make it match the waggy and look like they go together rather than like it CAME WITH the waggy.

Make sense?

Well, without further ado, Here is the result of 11 hours, 7 cans of rustoleum gloss almond, and 1458 square inches of vinyl wood grain.

I love the running lights.

So, at about 8:30pm, i towed it back to work and then drove back home. Im pooped, dumped about 20 hours into the camper this weekend, but now, aside from the lift, its exactly what i want, and how I want it.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #20
en480c4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks great! Love the Wagoneer, and the trailer is the perfect complement.

The Rustoleum Almond was a life saver for me this weekend, too. I was having trouble getting the Mopar spray touch-up paint I bought to cover over the primer on my trailer, so I used the Almond in satin for two coats, and only used the Mopar Sahara Tan to top coat it. It was just light enough that the darker Sahara Tan stood out and I was able to make sure I got good coverage.

Can't wait to see the lift... I'm sure it'll look great behind the Jeep.
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Very nice paint and stripe job, Marn!
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #22
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Last post was 4 days ago, and no lift yet?!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #23
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm bringing it home next weekend to have a forum member who welds look at it. For now it'll prolly just get 3" rectangle stock put between the torsion axle and the frame.

I may end up going axleless.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 09-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #24
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

I bet a piece of tube is very cheap. Then acquire, not buy, an old D35 and rob it of all its parts. That is, so long as your welder buddy comes through.
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

you suggest putting an empty D35 under it?

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 09-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
I think he's saying cut the flanges and reuse the brakes. I don't know what you'd use for hubs though

Sent by Paper Planes

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #27
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just left the DMV. Got it registered and ordered plates that say CAMPAH

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well went out today and discovered that my brakes are actually 100% inoperable.

I doubt this is helping them work too well...

So, i can obviously stop on my own, and I'm wondering if this is even worth addressing? Maybe just clean everything out real well, disassemble the MC, flush the lines, check the cylinders, and see where I can get without spending more than a few bucks and a few hours?

with a pending axle swap, I figure it probably isnt worth putting any money into the brakes, unless I kept them somehow.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also found a cheaper way to go with the axles, that should work fine.

http://www.trailerpart.com/halftorsionaxles.htm

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #30
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I think he's saying cut the flanges and reuse the brakes. I don't know what you'd use for hubs though

Sent by Paper Planes
Indeed. A complete D35 would work, to clarify what I was suggesting, just cut off the ends of the D35 and weld those to an empty tube, that way you don't have the weight from the pumpkin, and you also get more clearance.

So cut out everything that is in the red area, and weld in a straight tube where the green is. Voila now you have brand new brakes, and leaf brackets already installed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.