Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Marn's 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Pop-up Build Thread

Hi Everybody! (hi Dr. Marn!)

I'm Dr. Marneaus, you may remember me from such fabulous threads as Marn's 73 Wagoneer Thread, 97 TJ's Build Up and The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Well today I'm here to bring you a brand new thread, on an entirely new topic!

If you're an avid follower of my antics on this website, you may have heard mention in Marns 73 Wagoneer Thread that an eventual goal of mine was to get a vintage pop-up camper to tow around with my 1973 Wagoneer.

Well, sometimes things happen sooner than we plan! I was conversing with a member of the forum (who also happened to have a wagoneer of his own) on a completely unrelated topic, and he mentioned that he had an older tent trailer listed on craigslist. I found the ad, realized it was exactly what I wanted, and rushed over to take a look. It was, indeed, all that I had hoped for.

I made him an offer, literally as another pair of buyers pulled up, and he accepted. We shook hands, and I said I'd be back in a day or three to pick it up.

The product I purchased appears to be a well cared for 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Fold-Down Camping Trailer (apparently Jayco called them Fold-Down rather than Pop-Up).

Here are a few pictures from the day I first saw it. Overall, in fantastic condition for a 32 year old trailer. Some minor cosmetic stuff, but literally everything works. no leaks. no tears in the canvas or the interior upholstery. linoleum is a little dirty, but no damage. wood paneling inside is all perfect.

New tires, new battery, new jacks.

3 burner stove, propane heater, manual and electric pump sink, hookups, surge brakes. Currently wired for 4 pin plus an extra 12v wire to charge the battery.

currently painted as such because the Original owner painted it flat black to use as a hunting rig before the PO bought it from him. PO painted it white and blue.

you can see the front sheeting is pressed in a bit. no worries.

Canvas is solid, just a little dirty.

New battery, propane tank is clean, and the hitch for the surge brakes.

Vinyl and screens are perfect, just a lil dirty.

Interior upholstery is nice, not worn or damage.

Kitchen (note that the vinyl on the icebox is fully intact too):

So, I cruised on over after work today, and JF member Roobicon was nice enough to help me tow it over to the storage yard where I work, since my waggy is in storage.

Looks thrilled, doesnt he?

Said he hardly noticed it on the 15 minute drive.

So, we parked it at my work where it'll be stored. I plan to bring it home this weekend to power wash the heck out of it, and get the canvas cleaned up.

Plans for the camper in the future include:

-Paint to match the waggy (wood stripe included)
-Dual Propane tanks
-Solid axle (minor lift) and 5 lug wheels/tires to give it some lift
- Pintle hitch or 3-axis hitch

My overall goal at this point is to just make it slightly more capable than on the 12" rims. I am not looking to build a trail camper, but it needs to be able to traverse soft gravel and sand, as well as steeper and tighter roads. The 12" tires and low clearance are not conducive to that goal. I'll also most likely start doing more of my Expo-style mods to the trailer, rather than my actual truck. This is good because I can keep the truck more original.

Right now, however, it needs literally nothing. I could hook up and tow it wherever I wanted to!

So, enjoy! There's more to come, and I'm pretty psyched.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also, when I bought it, he had all the original documentation that came with it, and I mean alllll of it!

The full color brochure printed in 1979:

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, here's its new home, indefinitely:

Unread 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

That's awesome. Can you create a plexiglass display case inside to put the original brochures and stuff in?
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcofc View Post
That's awesome. Can you create a plexiglass display case inside to put the original brochures and stuff in?
I could....but I'll likely just keep them in a drawer inside the camper for reference haha.

This thing is going to get used.

Unread 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good looking camper Marn, looking forward to watching it evolve like your Wagoneer!
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's

Last edited by tj98; 08-31-2012 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: camper not trailer - duh
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is gonna be interesting... how much does it weigh?
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
This is gonna be interesting... how much does it weigh?
Supposedly tow weight is like 950? I think the gross rating is 1150 or something.

The answer is "not very much"

Unread 08-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Actually the brochure says dry weight is 1170. Dry hitch weight is 135

if any of y'all know me, you know when I get my mind on something, it gets done. Fast.

Example, I found out he had the camper for sale, found the ad, called him, emailed my girlfriend the ad, called her, drove over, and told him 'yes i'll take it' within about 30 minutes.

So, considering I'm going to be cleaning it up tomorrow, I wouldnt want to have to clean it again before painting it, right?

I found the paint I need, I was testing it next to my waggy.

I bought 4 different cans, and tested the two that were closest. They are both rustoleum. One is regular rustoleum, the other is painters touch, whatever the difference is, I dunno.

'Gloss Almond' on the left, 'Almond' on the right.

Testing it up against the paint on my truck

Looks like 'Gloss Almond' on the left is almost spot on. That'll do.
forumrunner_20120831_191058.jpg  

Unread 09-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
73pumpkin
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Good looking camper Marn. It sounds like you plan on putting a lot more work into such a camper than I plan to. Such campers have always been very utilitarian to me. Use them hard and screw the loose parts back on when you get home, and I have used such accomadations a lot. I took a pop-up pick-up camper to Alaska and back on a Chevy S-10 years ago, then camped out of it for several years in Wyoming. It was my first home away from home when I moved to Wyoming. I slept in it most of one winter in my sister's side yard. When the outside temperature got in the single digits, I did come inside and sleep on her couch with the othe stray cats and dogs. Get that baby out and enjoy it!
73pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Marn, if you are gunna put bigger shoes on it than the 12" rubber, skip the 13's and go straight to 14". I put ST205/75D14 on our Coleman. If I happen to need a tire while on road, this is the most common size and readily available. Plus you shouldn't ever have a problem with sidewall blowouts from overheating (a real PITA with those little 12" high-pressure tires).

The 13" tires are HARD to find if you need one. I upgraded the little Jayco we used to have with a lift for the torsion axle and 13" tires (biggest I could find for the 4-lug axle at the time) and that problem was always in the back of my mind.

Watch out for fenderwell clearance, though. These older pop-ups weren't made for bigger tires... interior cabinet space and all that. A spring-over conversion on our Coleman gave me plenty of lift. Just be aware that any substantial life will affect the ability of the stabilizer jacks to reach the ground if the trailer is parked on a slightly sloping campsite. Same for the tongue jack's ability to level the trailer.

Get yourself some reflective bunk-end covers. You'll really appreciate how they keep the radiant heat of the sun on the canvas from making the bunk feel like an oven.

That's a CLEAN trailer. Nice score!

BTW--- if you need any info on little modifications that make these trailers more user friendly (sink mods, storage ideas, just about anything you can think of and a lot of stuff you wouldn't), check out Pop-Up Explorer and Pop-Up Times sites. Lots of RV sites have small pop-up forums, but these sites are the repository of all things Pop-Up
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

**** dude, go straight to 15s and run 27s.

Sent by Paper Planes

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, today was cleaning day. We went through this thing top to bottom with a pressure washer, lysol, and some other cleaners.

There are a few spots inside that I need to put some more screws or staples (2 corners where the canvas/plastic edging whatever is falling a little bit).

Need to glue down the wood veneer in a few spots.

Also need to reinforce the rear corner of the door jamb (where your back rests when you're sitting on the couch) because it flexes a bit.

Other than that, we tested everything, and all seemed well. hookups work sink works manually and electric, inverter works, lights work, everything that I had already confirmed i guess.

Thats a 30 sitting next to it, haha.

Sooo....it definitely needs lift and I need a drop hitch in the mean time.

More to come.

Unread 09-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very clean...literally
Unread 09-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobicon
Very clean...literally
Thanks for all your help big guy. Couldn't have done it alone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.