making offroad trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > making offroad trailer

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
cnskate

making offroad trailer

I picked up a cool little homemade trailer project for $50 that has coil springs and shocks on it. I'm planing on making a storage box for it then putting a rooftop tent on top. I currently has 9" wheels on a 4 on 4 hub on what looks to be a 2" axle or so. What do I need to do to put stock XJ wheels on it? Is it just a matter of slapping on 5x4.5 hubs on? I doubt I'll ever have more than 400-500 pounds of gear on there. With those size tires would a lack of brakes be a problem? I not planning on any real serious offroading with it.

cnskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnskate
I picked up a cool little homemade trailer project for $50 that has coil springs and shocks on it. I'm planing on making a storage box for it then putting a rooftop tent on top. I currently has 9" wheels on a 4 on 4 hub on what looks to be a 2" axle or so. What do I need to do to put stock XJ wheels on it? Is it just a matter of slapping on 5x4.5 hubs on? I doubt I'll ever have more than 400-500 pounds of gear on there. With those size tires would a lack of brakes be a problem? I not planning on any real serious offroading with it.
As long as your axle doesn't have metric bearings, it is in fact as simple as slapping on the 5x4.5 hubs. Stock Jeep wheels have a lot of backspacing; sometimes that is a problem on a trailer.
You should be fine without trailer brakes for something that light.

Got pics?
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
cnskate

Thanks for the reply. I will try and get some pics up. How would i know if I had metric bearings?
Unread 09-14-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tape measure? Actually, if you price out new hubs and bearings, it's almost as much as the whole axle... and buying a new axle would make sure you had the right width... I lucked out and found what I needed under an old boat trailer. A simple springover and I was on my way.

Unread 09-15-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnskate
How would i know if I had metric bearings?
Look at the bearing and seal #s. The standard type will have a number marking such as L44649. The metric stuff is usually stamped 25M or 30205 or something like that.

This link has a list of pretty much all the common non-metric bearing and seals that you might see:

http://www.etrailer.com/c-bearings.htm
Unread 09-15-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
Tape measure? Actually, if you price out new hubs and bearings, it's almost as much as the whole axle... and buying a new axle would make sure you had the right width... I lucked out and found what I needed under an old boat trailer. A simple springover and I was on my way.
I just happen to have a brand new 2K rated 5x4.5 trailer axle on my garage floor that I don't need. It has 47.25" spring centers and 60" WMS to WMS
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Wow all this has inspired me, I wanted a rooftop tent, but now I think I'll make/build a trailer for the tent and gear. I plan on puting in a new rear axle as is, so my old D35 could serve as a good trailer axle.

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Terrain Twister
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ
Wow all this has inspired me, I wanted a rooftop tent, but now I think I'll make/build a trailer for the tent and gear. I plan on puting in a new rear axle as is, so my old D35 could serve as a good trailer axle.
Recycling at its best!
Unread 09-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
cnskate

I'm thinking about just picking up a used job box like this one: http://www.professionalequipment.com...90/tool-boxes/, flipping it over so it opens to the side, bolting it to the trailer, bolting the Yakima rack for the roof tent ontop, maybe reinforcing it, maybe not, then going camping. What do ya'll think?
Unread 11-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

you could probably find a dana 35 for free to get the correct width and lug pattern
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.