Looking at Trailers; Kaufman Deluxe or Big Tex - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Looking at Trailers; Kaufman Deluxe or Big Tex

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking at Trailers; Kaufman Deluxe or Big Tex

I'm looking for a car hauler to tow my 1 ton XJ. I also want it to be able to haul a full size truck every so often, so I think 10,000 lbs will meet my needs. BTW, I'm towing with a 2000 Cummins 2500 with a brake controller.

Anyway, I've heard mostly good things about Big Tex, and like the 10ET. I would prefer slide-in ramps but I may not use the ramps most of the time, so it's not really a big deal. I'm not sure if the tires are radials or not (want radials). I do like the adjustable coupler though.
http://bigtextrailers.com/pdf/10et.pdf

I've heard pretty good things about Kaufman too, and the prices are good. Some say that the wiring's not the best. However, the deluxe version includes sealed wiring, LED lighting, radial tires, and a rub rail along the stake pockets. This one also has slide-in ramps.
http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heavy...LUXE-p341.html

What are your opinions? Are these pretty comparable? The costs are similar: 3800 for the Big Tex and ~3700 (shipped) for the Kaufman Deluxe. I'm leaning towards the Kaufman, but it would be nice to see it in person first, and I live several states away.

Thanks-

Unread 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Those are both very nice trailers. I prefer a stand up ramp because they are fool proof, but your 1 ton XJ may not need the ramps so the slide in might do you well. And, you are absolutely right to get a wood deck. Its much more comfortable to walk on, easier to mark for your load points, etc. Just take care of it.

Nice choices.
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Like wilson said both will serve you. As for looking at it should be a dealer in your state for both.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
As for looking at it should be a dealer in your state for both.
Kaufman sells factory-direct from their 2 locations; they don't have any dealers.
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

in my case I can't comment on the Kaufman, but I've been happy with the Big Tex 70CH that I bought (new) about 10 years ago. I upgraded to a 2 5/16 coupler and got a weight distributing hitch right away. Hindsight I should've opted for the 10k also instead of the 7k, but I'm still glad I went with the 18' (the Dodge has actually been on it, when a tranny line busted ) instead of a shorter version on which the Jeep would 'barely' fit.
But I guess in your situation either one would serve you just fine (I guess I would opt for the 20' version in this case).
One more tip: get your trailer tires balanced also
Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more.
Iceman_RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I went with the Kaufman deluxe and it showed up yesterday. I got more options for the same money (including shipping) as I would buying another manufacturer from a dealer. Only thing with Kaufman is if you have it delivered, you have to provide a way to off load it. Fortunately, a friend of mine has a drilling company and picked it off with a boom truck. I also lined up a local marina's big forklift as a back-up. They were going to charge $75.

Initial impressions are good; I really like it. I definitely recommend Kaufman. Customer service and communication are great- both the sales guy and the driver. I spent more than originally planned, but I only want to buy once and get a load rating and size that should cover all my potential needs. For a little extra, the deluxe has better wiring, LED lights, a rub rail along the stake pockets, and radial tires. I like the slide-in ramps, because I don't need any ramps with the Jeep, and they stay out of the way until they're needed loading something else.

Unread 06-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

congrats on the new trailer So what size did you go with?

Quote:
I spent more than originally planned, but I only want to buy once and get a load rating and size that should cover all my potential needs.
absolutely true ...
Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more.
Iceman_RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_RNR View Post
congrats on the new trailer So what size did you go with?
10,000 LB. 20' (18 + tail)
Can't wait to use it!
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
...... And, you are absolutely right to get a wood deck ......... Just take care of it.
What is your opinion on best way to treat a wood deck.
Especially on this 5 yr old Lamar 18' that was never touched by previous owner.
day-one-3.jpg

day-one-7.jpg

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Decks mostly rot from the bottom when parked over gravel or dirt. Pretty tough to treat the underside. I used to pour dirty motor oil on the deck, which works great, but my younger friends tell me it is environmentally incorrect. Haha!

Boiled linseed oil is a favorite, or TWP. Some guys will just use a dark stain. Or, you could just get some Thompsons and roll it on there and you won't get in trouble with the eco-ninnies. I don't really like it but it is cheap and many many people use it. I'll stick with dirty motor oil. Its gotta go somewhere.

And, don't park it on dirt and it you do, put a plastic tarp on the ground and then the trailer.

My $.02.

PS: Nice trailer.
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Decks mostly rot from the bottom when parked over gravel or dirt. PS: Nice trailer.
I must be having a "dumb day"!
What's the connection between dirt, gravel and wood rot??

Also....have seen many say used engine oil works well. Does it not make the deck slippery?

And Thanks for the compliment! I added two more angle iron ribs to the tail gate....right where my 33" roll up it. But don't really think was needed. That gate is stout (and heavy). Also found out it's a very expensive option that I just lucked into!

RJ
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The moisture from the ground causes organisms to grow on the underside of the deck. I have seen mold and fungus an inch thick on a trailer underside. If the deck gets nice and muddy it will be protected. But the continuous moisture is sometimes a problem. Maybe not so much in Texas.
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ah!
Ground moisture was all I could think of but guess I've lived down here too long.
Around here, IF it rains, ground moisture is either 6"+ down....
or not there at all.

Engine oil = Slippery?

RJ
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Ah!
Ground moisture was all I could think of but guess I've lived down here too long.
Around here, IF it rains, ground moisture is either 6"+ down....
or not there at all.

Engine oil = Slippery?

RJ
On a rough wood deck, the engine oil is not slippery after it soaks in a little. Post a close up of the wood on your deck and I'll take a shot at it.

We used to use old dirty motor oil for a lot of things that are no longer environmentally correct. Pouring it onto fence posts where they enter the ground was the best use of motor oil. I can remember when every tool box in the outdoor shed had a slick of oil in the bottom where the tools would get coated as they were used and nothing got rusty. I remember the guy next door pouring it on the top of his 55 gallon drums to suppress the mosquitoes that otherwise bred in the water on top of the drums. You couldn't get away with that today.

Today, motor oil is treated as hazardous waste.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
..... I remember the guy next door pouring it on the top of his 55 gallon drums to suppress the mosquitoes that otherwise bred in the water on top of the drums......
We just put a block of wood under one side, on outside drums, so water runs off... IF it rains.

My boards are moderately rough and....
so many owners on many web sites recommend used oil.
Think I'll try it on the center board and see how it works.

RJ

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.