looking at tow rigs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > looking at tow rigs

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

looking at tow rigs

hey guys, well i'm looking to get a tow rig here for my heep and a friend of mine was making me a great deal on 2002 toyota tundra 4.7L 2wd sr5 with trailer package. Has anyone personally towed with this vehicle or could send me some links on reviews on its towing characteristics. Is the frame strong enough to help fight trailer wobble or is it one of those trucks that can tow well but a handful to tow? Any info will be great.

Thanks

grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well there Grandpa, you've asked a question that you will get no answer that you can depend on.

Toyota owners are the most loyal, enthusiastic owners there are, and every one of them will swear that their Tundra is the best tow rig they every had. But when you look at what people actually buy, they aren't even a tiny speck on the radar screen.
Unread 06-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
kercher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I recently bought a tow rig for my CJ5. I got a 5.4L V8 expedition, 4wd. I personally would not go much smaller than 5.4L, but then again, it is quite hilly here in Seattle.

Are you trailering or flat towing? The additionally 1500 lbs of a trailer plays a roll.

You need to look up weight distributing tow ratings vs weight carrying. Weight carrying is the max weight if you are not using a weight distributing hitch, and is usually much less than the weight distributing tow rating.

clear as mud?
kercher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

the yota 4.7L is a decent engine for a smaller truck/SUV, but i wouldn't look to it too much for towing a ZJ.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.