Looking for feedback - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Looking for feedback

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for feedback

I am in college and looking to start my own buisness after I graduate in May 2012. I have been thinking of opening a trailer manufacturing business. I have been doing some drawings in sketchup of different things I would like and wondered what everyone else thought and what they would be willing to pay for my trailer designs. I appreciate all feed back. here is a link to my facebook page where I have posted my pictures. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2303178&type=3 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2303178&type=3 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2303178&type=3 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2303178&type=3 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2303178&type=3.

stroker90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the designs are cool but do you have the seed money to start. you'll need the fab tools and become a registered manufacture and dealer of trailers for them to be road legal.

I would sugest start by getting all your tax stuff done and do the paper work to become a trailer dealer. then spend time custom modifying legal trailers for each customer. once you start getting a little more money in look into becoming a manufacture. Also you can't say what are you willing to pay. you need to spend the time to figure your costs in making it. parts time materiel ect and come up with a number that actually earns you money.

just my .02
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

At my school we have a Entrepreneur Organization that is helping me out with the business plan side of running it. Through that organization they are having a competition to win some cash to start the business. I already know how much it cost to build each one of the trailer designs and what I will need to sell them at to make money. I am only asking what the market is willing to pay. Using this data I will be able to figure out what my profit margins will be and I can put that into my business proposal for the competition to show that it would be a profitable business. So i am just asking what is the price people are willing to pay for a basic trailer. By basic I mean the trailer, body, and basic stock wheels on stock jeep rubber. Now there is always options for upgrades
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have figured out that I can do a few custom trailers every once in a while but I need more turnover to stay in business.
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You'll have to come up with a niche. Basic 4x8, 5x10, etc. trailers are a dime a dozen, and well manufactured.

Here's what someone local to my area did. But it takes a big bundle of cash to get something like this off the ground.
www.sierra4x4trailers.com
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Please people don't worry about what it is going to cost to start this business. The sierra trailer is very nice and I would like to have one but I would need another 5x8 basic utility trailer to haul all my stuff around. That isn't practical and especially in this economy.
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

with my designs you will be able to use any rack loading equipment from either yakima or thule so the amount of options that you could place on this trailer are unlimited. You will be able to place canoes, kayaks, bicycles, surf boards, fishing rods and the list goes on. With everything mounted to the rack that leaves plenty of room for coolers, camp chairs, fire wood, and any other gear needed for a vacation. the trailers could also be fitted with a roof top tent for those that don't like to sleep on the ground. when not using it for vacation it can be used to haul stuff home from the local home improvement store like 4x8 sheets of ply wood or 2x4's. It could also be used to haul away leaves or grass clippings off your property. my larger design trailer will be able to fit a bestop supertop for truck cap on it to make it an enclosed trailer if you are ever moving something that you don't want to get wet. this top gives the convenience to load and unload with the top down and to be put in the up position once everything is loaded. I was thinking of offering a solid axle with leaf springs suspension and also an independent trailing arm suspension that would be adjustable to ride preference.
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I think your ideas look great. I like the idea of using existing components to make a cool end product. No need to reinvent the wheel. I could see these trailers being used a lot if they can fold down or something when they are not needed. Keep up the good work and keep working on it. As far as pricing. I have never bought a trailer. I have built all of my trailers. I guess I would have to say under 1500 or so for a mid range model.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
camping trailer , tent trailer , trailer , utility

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.