Lightening an M101A1 or A2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Lightening an M101A1 or A2

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
tjsahara1979
2007 JK Wrangler 

Lightening an M101A1 or A2

Has anybody done this? IE, cutting out the floor and putting in wood, switched out the axle, ect.

'01 TJ Sahara. 3" BDS lift, 1" PA BL, 33x12.50x15 Nokian Vatiiva M/Ts, Durango steering box, soft 8s, RE steering stabilizer, and one LOUD effin' train horn :)

Green Jeep Club Member #183
tjsahara1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsahara1979 View Post
Has anybody done this? IE, cutting out the floor and putting in wood, switched out the axle, ect.

Do you have one already?

I won the auction for an A2 model; just waiting on the paperwork to clear so I can pick it up. My intent is to try and get it to a more manageable weight (and height).
As near as I can figure, the chassis makes up for about 800 of the 1200 lbs that it weighs. Of that, a good percentage has got to come from the wheels, tires, axle, hubs, drums, and brakes. The frame itself isn't overly massive; I would say it compares more favorably to the M416 than the M105 trailers.

The current rough plan is this:
A frame 2" ball coupler in place of surge brake lunette coupler
standard tongue jack instead of landing leg
3500 LB five lug electric brake standard trailer axle (spring under conversion)
remove a leaf or two from the springs
15" aluminum wheels
radial tires

Once I get started on the project, I will try to keep good notes on my progress - hoping to shed at least 400 lbs.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
tjsahara1979
2007 JK Wrangler 

My basic plan was the same. I haven't gotten one yet but there are a ton of them around here. Keep us updated!
'01 TJ Sahara. 3" BDS lift, 1" PA BL, 33x12.50x15 Nokian Vatiiva M/Ts, Durango steering box, soft 8s, RE steering stabilizer, and one LOUD effin' train horn :)

Unread 07-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
FALJEEP
2006 TJ Wrangler 

US M101a1 trailer mods

I picked up two M101a1 trailers back in Febuary. I have the side rails and bows waiting a new paint job. Since then, I have removed the stock axle due to commonality of parts. Trying to keep everything simple, I purchased a 3500# Dexter axle and 5x4.5 hubs with electric brakes and Pro Comp Steel wheels to match the Jeep. Removing the axle was a little time consuming, but not too hard to do. I jacked up the rear of the trailer and removed the axle u bolts( had to cut off two of them due to corrosion) then with a little finess, rolled out the old and rolled in the new. Iam debating on weather or not to install LED tail lights as I currently am using the MIL Spec lights. I next bead blasted the outside paint just enough to rough up the surface to paint, and am currently waiting for mother nature to cooperate to shoot with a khaki paint scheme. Another mod waiting for parts is to install aircraft seat tracks to facilitate tie downs more uniformly.
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
tjsahara1979
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALJEEP View Post
I picked up two M101a1 trailers back in Febuary. I have the side rails and bows waiting a new paint job. Since then, I have removed the stock axle due to commonality of parts. Trying to keep everything simple, I purchased a 3500# Dexter axle and 5x4.5 hubs with electric brakes and Pro Comp Steel wheels to match the Jeep. Removing the axle was a little time consuming, but not too hard to do. I jacked up the rear of the trailer and removed the axle u bolts( had to cut off two of them due to corrosion) then with a little finess, rolled out the old and rolled in the new. Iam debating on weather or not to install LED tail lights as I currently am using the MIL Spec lights. I next bead blasted the outside paint just enough to rough up the surface to paint, and am currently waiting for mother nature to cooperate to shoot with a khaki paint scheme. Another mod waiting for parts is to install aircraft seat tracks to facilitate tie downs more uniformly.
Do you think its light enough to tow with the TJ? Have any pics of it?

Thanks!

Unread 07-29-2009, 04:13 AM   #6
FALJEEP
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to be towing with a short wheelbase TJ? If you are, things might get a little squirlly on you. I didn't have any problems towing my trailer, or trailers when I had them on top of one another. Max towing weight for a LWB is 3500#. I haven't been able to figure out how to upload pics, so if anyone wants to jump in and walk me thru it I would appreciate it.
Unread 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
tjsahara1979
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALJEEP View Post
Are you going to be towing with a short wheelbase TJ? If you are, things might get a little squirlly on you. I didn't have any problems towing my trailer, or trailers when I had them on top of one another. Max towing weight for a LWB is 3500#. I haven't been able to figure out how to upload pics, so if anyone wants to jump in and walk me thru it I would appreciate it.
Yeah mines a SWB

To show pics, upload them to a hosting site (photobucket, flickr, etc) and post them here. You have to be a paid member for them to show up so if I quote you, they'll show up

Unread 07-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Indy

You don't have to be a paid member, that's just the quickest way. Once you hit 50 tech posts, you can post pics.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
SplitPoly
2003 WJ 

Any forward progress on this project or pictures of the current status? I'm feeling the bug to get one of the M101's. How much do you have into parts/hubs/axles, etc... Would it be cheaper to just go with a lighter trailer from TSC or Northern Tool?

Post pics if you can.

Thanks,

- Rick
Unread 10-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
SplitPoly
2003 WJ 

Also, what is the difference between the A1 and A2?
Unread 10-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

What's the box dimensions on one of these? I've seen them for cheap and I'm wondering if I could make my TJ fit in one. I'm not so much worried about the weight of the trailer as I'd be pulling it with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel.
Unread 12-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
pohlease
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitPoly View Post
Also, what is the difference between the A1 and A2?
M101A1 is the standard trailer
M101A2 has surge brakes.
pohlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
pohlease
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ View Post
What's the box dimensions on one of these? I've seen them for cheap and I'm wondering if I could make my TJ fit in one. I'm not so much worried about the weight of the trailer as I'd be pulling it with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel.

American m101s are 8 feet long and slight narrower than a truck bed. I can't remember what the measurement was. Will fit an ATV with some room to spare I think.
pohlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

The bed is approx 6 feet wide give or take a little but it's 4 feet + between the wheel wells.

This is a big trailer. It's unladen weight is 1350 lbs for an A1, don't know about an A2 but it has to be more with the surge brake assembly.

I just got one the other day and towed it home 300+ miles with a 6 cyl CJ7. It towed ok in the respect that it wasn't especially squirlly, but it pretty much maxed out the 258 for towing capacity. Granted my motor has 140k miles and is stock with the exception of the Howell TBI and headers, but I wouldn't want to tow it normally with anything less than about 250 horsepower. I was severely limited in speed on steeper hills coming home and there is no way I would want to go downhill with that trailer on the back of my rig. It's just too much weight.

trailhead
img_0788-sm.jpg   img_0790-sm.jpg  
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bringing this back from the dead.

I got my M101A2 down to 1000 lbs, the tongue is 100 lbs. and it's four inches lower due to a spring under conversion.

Here's what I did:
Removed surge actuator/lunette - replaced with regular old A frame ball coupler
Swapped adjustable front landing leg for standard trailer tongue jack
The rear cross member was badly damaged by Private Snuffy so I simply cut it out
Replaced military axle w/5200 lb electric brake standard trailer axle - it has 12x2 8 lug drums and EZ lube spindles
Added small electric brake breakaway battery
No shocks

I think you could get down about another hundred lbs by using a 3500 lb axle with 10" brakes and lighter 15" wheels/tires. My eight lug steelies with LT235/85R16 tires tip in at almost 80 lbs each.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.