KJ tow prep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > KJ tow prep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

KJ tow prep

I'm going to be making a run from Reno to Seattle over about a 5 day period (about 800 miles each way) to pick up a boat. It's about an 18' Jon boat, and with trailer probably doesn't weigh more than 1500#. I bought and installed a class III hitch and did the wiring with a T-connector kit. What do I need to do to prep the jeep for the trip? I'll change the oil, air filter, and air up the tires.
Jeep is a 3.7l with automatic trans. It's "rated" to tow 5,000# so I'd imagine I won't have any problem.

kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
gwing

tong tung touengue weight

You probably are back from your trip by the time this posts but for the next person interested in a reply,I would suggest you keep enough toungue weight (80 to 100lbs) on the hitch.These short wheel based vehicles tend to fishtail a bit pulling over 1500lbs.
gwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I'm back. pulled that boat 720 miles from almost Canada to Reno in a single day. Not a single hitch in the whole affair aside from piss poor mileage going over the mountains. Good tip on the tongue weight. I had it at about 100#
Here's the whole mess after a fishing trip last weekend.
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.