jeep tie downs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > jeep tie downs

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 12-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Cravenmoorehead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

jeep tie downs

I have been using the 2in ratchet straps to tie down my jeep to my trailer. I want to go to chain tie downs because it will give me more peace of mind. My question is what size chain is recommended? I know more is better but I don't wanna waste money and go overkill on the chain thickness. thanks.

Unread 12-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Indy

2" ratchet straps? You mean the ones you get at walmart for $10? The ones that are marginal for securing a 400 pound atv?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Cravenmoorehead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yep im using $10 ratchet straps to hold down a jeep. the 2in wide straps I have have a 5000lb working strength and 12,000lb break strength so they are more than capable of holding the jeep. I was asking about chain size. Thanks for your input on nothing
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The problem with $10 ratchet straps is that you can't really apply any force to them. The cheap ones have a six inch handle turning a 1.5 inch spool yielding exactly a 4 to 1 mechanical advantage meaning that if you can curl 100 pounds with one hand you can probably put 400 pounds of force to a 2" ratchet strap. Second, it is the pot metal ratchet mechanism that is the issue. You can't break the polyester strap but the dinkly little ratchet will blow all to hell long before you get enough force to strain that strap. As for the 5000 lb working load limit, I call BS.

As for chains, you want 3/8" grade 70. And, if you are one of the daring guys who likes to strap by the axles, please note that a ratchet chain binder with at least a 200 to 1 mechanical advantage, can easily bend an axle tube. You can't hurt an axle with a yellow strap just by screwing it down, but you can pull the axles right off your rig with a chain binder. A few years ago, my 10 year old niece lifted the entire front end of my XJ in the air with a chain binder without working up a sweat.
Unread 12-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Cravenmoorehead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The problem with $10 ratchet straps is that you can't really apply any force to them. The cheap ones have a six inch handle turning a 1.5 inch spool yielding exactly a 4 to 1 mechanical advantage meaning that if you can curl 100 pounds with one hand you can probably put 400 pounds of force to a 2" ratchet strap. Second, it is the pot metal ratchet mechanism that is the issue. You can't break the polyester strap but the dinkly little ratchet will blow all to hell long before you get enough force to strain that strap. As for the 5000 lb working load limit, I call BS.

As for chains, you want 3/8" grade 70. And, if you are one of the daring guys who likes to strap by the axles, please note that a ratchet chain binder with at least a 200 to 1 mechanical advantage, can easily bend an axle tube. You can't hurt an axle with a yellow strap just by screwing it down, but you can pull the axles right off your rig with a chain binder. A few years ago, my 10 year old niece lifted the entire front end of my XJ in the air with a chain binder without working up a sweat.

you are correct my axle straps are not 5000lb W.L.L.(my bad) here are the
Specifications

Working Load Limit: 3,335 LBS

Assembly Break Strength: 10,000 LBS
Overall Width x Length: 2" x 8'

I got these from US Cargo control. I was thinking about the chain binders causing damage to the jeep last night. I may just stick with the straps.
Unread 12-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenmoorehead View Post
Specifications

I got these from US Cargo control. I was thinking about the chain binders causing damage to the jeep last night. I may just stick with the straps.

I've bought a lot of stuff from US Cargo Control. But note, their 2" straps are not really the $10 straps. They are the $30 straps with the heavy duty ratchet mechanism. Probably the best made. Good that you have purchased a quality strap.
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Specifications

If your worried about damage connect them to the frame and snug it down. Yes I do know there is a long topic on frame vs axle tie downs that im not going to get into.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Indy

Quote:
yep im using $10 ratchet straps to hold down a jeep. the 2in wide straps I have have a 5000lb working strength and 12,000lb break strength so they are more than capable of holding the jeep. I was asking about chain size. Thanks for your input on nothing
You're welcome I've seen way worse than $10 straps on loaded vehicles before. I have nylon straps as well, but they're a lot wider than 2", all my cheapy's, that I break routinely on light stuff, are about 2" though, hence the question.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Chains are very nice and reasonably priced for their load cap. the ratchets tensioners are worth every penny for the piece of mind...

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use 3/8 chain and binders and will never switch to anything else. there cheap, durable, easy to use, and last for ever.
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
I use 3/8 chain and binders and will never switch to anything else. there cheap, durable, easy to use, and last for ever.
Yep, what he said

More exact, 3/8 grade 70 transport chain, Shop around and find a good price, I found it at Lowes. Some states require that you use grade 70.

and I use the screw/ratchet binder (4)(harbor freight).

As a suggestion, I cut a 20 ft length of chain into 8 lengths and bolted 4 to the frame of the trailer (using grade 8 bolts). the other 4 I hook, with "T" hooks (Northorn tool), into the frame of the jeep. Attach the binders and tighten down. Stop and check at fuel/ rest stops.

Hope this helps.
Dif
Ride Hard Tread Lightly
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.