Jeep M101CDN offroad camping trailer construction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Jeep M101CDN offroad camping trailer construction

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 02-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep M101CDN offroad camping trailer construction

hey guys, picked up a canadian military surplus M101 trailer to build into an offroad roof-top-tent camper. looked at some of the ready made ones companies are selling but 10,000.00 is crazy. by the time i finish this total cost to me will be less than 6,000.00 tent, tires/wheels, onboard propane, onboard 12volt, onboard water and pump and everything included. it came wired for 24volt so i used the military style lights but re-wired it all to 12volt.

as it was when i got it

in very good condition

after the spring over lift and 35's

with the 35's again, sits level with the jeep

more pics next post

Unread 02-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

a fabricator friend has access to laser cutter and cnc machine so he has done some amazing work for me last week.

removed old fenders, filled any holes, made new fenders with steps and the top

top mounting, will be able to remove the top if it is lifted right over and then slid forward. but when it is on it is lockable and safe for all the expensive camping gear.

fender and step from the rear

put a receiver on the back of it for another spare mount and a rear leg mount so it doesnt tip over when sleeping in the night....girlfriend would not be happy

as it sits today, longer leg in the front so it stands level and waiting for the front mount box that will contain propane and batt.

the water tank is going underneath, between the frame rails above the axle. lots of clearance there. will cover it with a thin steel rock/mud shield.
Unread 02-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
ridendirty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLAND_YJ View Post
hey guys, picked up a canadian military surplus M101 trailer to build into an offroad roof-top-tent camper. looked at some of the ready made ones companies are selling but 10,000.00 is crazy. by the time i finish this total cost to me will be less than 6,000.00 tent, tires/wheels, onboard propane, onboard 12volt, onboard water and pump and everything included. it came wired for 24volt so i used the military style lights but re-wired it all to 12volt.

as it was when i got it

in very good condition

after the spring over lift and 35's

with the 35's again, sits level with the jeep

more pics next post
click free
ridendirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
ridendirty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLAND_YJ View Post
a fabricator friend has access to laser cutter and cnc machine so he has done some amazing work for me last week.

removed old fenders, filled any holes, made new fenders with steps and the top

top mounting, will be able to remove the top if it is lifted right over and then slid forward. but when it is on it is lockable and safe for all the expensive camping gear.

fender and step from the rear

put a receiver on the back of it for another spare mount and a rear leg mount so it doesnt tip over when sleeping in the night....girlfriend would not be happy

as it sits today, longer leg in the front so it stands level and waiting for the front mount box that will contain propane and batt.

the water tank is going underneath, between the frame rails above the axle. lots of clearance there. will cover it with a thin steel rock/mud shield.
click free
ridendirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks "ridendirty" for the click free........
Unread 02-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

wow looks great! I'm interested to see how you pull off all the added accessories (12v source, propane, water, etc.)
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

-well for 12volt i am using a yellow top that was going to be second batt in the jeep but now it will be trailer power. batt will be stored in front mount box with the propane tank. i am setting up a switch board that will have multiple outlets for...water pump, under trailer LED lighting so i dont kick that damn hitch ever again in the dark, LED lighting in the tent and LED lighting on the cooking surface that will be mounted to the passenger side of the trailer and removeable.
-propane will just be a 20lb bottle, bottle will be inside the front mount box that is currently under construction and i will run a hose and use quick connects to the removeable passenger side cooking surface. will just use the propane for the 2 burner camp stove and BBQ
-finally water, the tank mounts under the trailer above the axle between the frame rails. will have a 12volt pump in the batt box and a spigot that is push button operated somewhere on the trailer.

the batt/propane box is being constructed as we speak as well as the removeable cooking surface....pictures will explain it all very soon. i also have an awning on the way that will pull out to cover the cooking side of the trailer. the idea is a trailer that i can easily/quickly set up alone and i dont need trees or anything else near for tie downs and such for the awning. that way if its raining or god forbid snowing (i am from the great white north) when i set up it is quick and easy.
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

just got the shots of the rear tire carrier and leg that will keep us from tipping over in the night is we are doing some athletic sleeping. there is a receiver on the back of the trailer so the friend/fabricator doing this work came up with this...i like it. it is a spare tire carrier that goes into the receiver, nothing fancy we have all seen those but then just pull a pin and it drops down and doubles as the rear leg of the trailer. will let you know how it all works out after a few uses.

from the back

from the side in the up position where it wil lbe when on the road or trail holding the spare

from the side in the down position where it will be when camp is set up
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

just wanted to add that the tire carrier leg is not complete, it will have a foot on the bottom and possibly some strengthening.
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Am I correct in understanding that you converted the 24 volt lighting to 12 volt? If so, how did you do that? Was it simply a matter of changing the bulbs, or what? I'm hoping to have an M-416 soon, and it'll need to have more standard trailer lighting, but I'd like to keep the conversion as simple as possible. I like the water tank, LED lighting and battery idea. I may have to incorporate something similar to my build.

Thanks,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the coversion was simple actually. i just cut the old military wiring out all together. left as much of a lead comming out of the light housings as i could. i ran completely new trailer 4 part wire from the tongue to the lights and connected it to the existing wires there after testing them to see which ones i would use. changed the bulbs to 12 volt and your good to go. my light housing had 4 wires comming out and i just used 2. the other 2 wires are for the night time low visability lighting system the military uses so i actually completely removed those parts from inside the housings. had it all done in 45minutes.

used this wiring diagram so hopefully if any of my friends want to borrow the trailer we are all wired the same.

http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

good luck
Unread 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. The more I look at your lid, the more I like it. Can you give me a ballpark to what it cost?

Thanks,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #13
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the lid, well i have a fabricator friend who designs everything on CAD first then just sends it to the laser cutting place and they cut and form it right on site. that is made of 10ga steel, it is kind of between 1/8th and 3/16 thick. weights about 150lbs so i dont need any of the reinforcing frame that lots of guys use. steel is so expensive right now, his cost was around 325.00 canadian (280.00 us). then once we got it he had an hour of welding to close up the corner seems. he charges me (25.00/hour)....i wont ask a friend for free work. then there are 4 "bullet" hinges holding it on, i think they are just a few dollars and 2 latches that arent in the pics yet that are cheap also around 10.00 each, then the pneumatic rams that assist in lifting and hold it up once open. the rams are rated at 100lbs lift each and cost 30.00 a piece. when you position the rams you can change the amount of lift they provide by altering their mounting postion. once the 150lb tent is mounted there will be over 300lbs to lift and i want the rams to do most of the work and also to be able to hold the top open without a prop. it is being setup as i write this and will post more pics tonight or tomorrow of the lid with latches and rams in place. another thing about that lid is with the bullet hinges if i disconnect the rams and flip the lid right over it can be slid forward and off the trailer to give me the ability to use it with an open top.
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:01 AM   #14
OVERLAND_YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

my fabricator friend got the lift rams and locking clamps finished as well as finishing touches on the tire carrier/rear leg.

if you look close you'll see the adjustment bar welded to the underside of the lid...this will allow for changes in the lid weight when the tent is added. the same sort of mount is welded inside the trailer box so the bottom of the ram can be raised or lowered. also look and see the closing clamps that are lockable with a padlock on each end of the lid. the rear foot has thumb screws to tighten it up after putting the receiver hitch pin in to eliminate rattling/moving parts.

now just waiting on the laser guys to finish cutting out the parts for the front mount propane/battery box and the removeble cooking counter that will mount to the passenger side of the trailer. hopefully late this week she will be all ready for the tent and awning mount. then it's dissasembly and off to the paint shop.
Unread 02-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really good. Did you fabricate or build the fenders?
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.