Jeep on Featherlite trailer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Jeep on Featherlite trailer?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep on Featherlite trailer?

I'm looking for a trailer for my jeep and though they are $$$ I'm considering a Featherlite 17.5' trailer because I like the low weight, ability to load low-clearance vehicles, construction and corrosion resistance.

I'm told that the clearance between the fenders is 79"... with my 12.5" tires on 3.6" backspaced wheels my width is about 75" or 76".

What say you? Is that cutting it too close? The trailer has a low toe-rail around the edge that I'm hoping will help keep the jeep centered.

aaaaa.jpg  
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like it, don't know squat about trailers, but if I were to get one, that's the route I'd go.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had one of the Featherlites for a few years. The guy I bought it from hauled a big tricked out JK on it and had boards for both sides to raise the tires above the aluminum rim they put around the edge of the trailer. I have normal width axles on my Tj with 33" and never had a problem with width without the boards. They are really nice trailers, but they are also pricey...
TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I have to be pretty accurate getting my ZJ (33s, 4" backspacing) on the hauler I use. It's about 3 inches wider than my rear width from tire to tire. 1.5" on each side.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, that's a nice trailer. I would love to have an aluminum trailer.

I have an 18' PJ dovetail trailer. Wood deck, steel frame.
I am sure it has about the same measurements in between the fender wells, 35x12.5x15 tires on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing. If I'm lucky enough to get it dead center on the trailer, I think have about 4 inches to spare on each side. No side rail lip either.

Don't let your friends know you have a car hauler. I have also hauled a buddies old '73 Dodge Charger, and his daughters dead Buick with it.

Best pic I got. I think you will be fine.

TJDaveX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
Damn, that's a nice trailer. I would love to have an aluminum trailer.

I have an 18' PJ dovetail trailer. Wood deck, steel frame.
I am sure it has about the same measurements in between the fender wells, 35x12.5x15 tires on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing. If I'm lucky enough to get it dead center on the trailer, I think have about 4 inches to spare on each side. No side rail lip either.

Don't let your friends know you have a car hauler. I have also hauled a buddies old '73 Dodge Charger, and his daughters dead Buick with it.

Best pic I got. I think you will be fine.
That's a nice trailer... and I do think it's a bit wider as I see most PJs, Big Tex, Iron Eagle, etc. advertised as 84". BTW do you use a WD hitch setup with that camper? I am planning to set up to to the trailer with a hitch extension and my slide-in.

Hey TJDaveX... just noticed how similar our jeeps are!
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
That's a nice trailer... and I do think it's a bit wider as I see most PJs, Big Tex, Iron Eagle, etc. advertised as 84". BTW do you use a WD hitch setup with that camper? I am planning to set up to to the trailer with a hitch extension and my slide-in.

Hey TJDaveX... just noticed how similar our jeeps are!
A couple buddies have long slide in campers and they use those super hitch extensions with the double 2" receivers. One even added two chains and tensioners from the hitch end to the back corners of the pickup for side to side stability.

I don't use a WD hitch. Just a regular hitch for both the motorhome and my old '94 F250. It tows great. Sure beats when I used to flat tow just for the piece of mind that if I break something, I can get it home. Plus the trailer comes in handy for other stuff too. Right now it's loaded with a bunch a lumber I picked up today for a deck project.

Good luck with your purchase.
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Waste of money, IMO. A couple of hundred pounds for thousand plus dollars. And if you really have to put a sedan up on it, a few 2x10's is all you need for any trailer.

PS: That 2" rail around the edge is not your friend.I can't count the reasons I would not want a trailer with a 2" by 1/4" rim around the perimeter.
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Waste of money, IMO. A couple of hundred pounds for thousand plus dollars. And if you really have to put a sedan up on it, a few 2x10's is all you need for any trailer.

PS: That 2" rail around the edge is not your friend.I can't count the reasons I would not want a trailer with a 2" by 1/4" rim around the perimeter.
I hear ya. The price certainly gives me pause too... easily 2x the cost of a steel trailer. They do seem to hold their value very well.

If you don't mind, can you list some of the reasons that you wouldn't want the rim? I have not owned a flatbed trailer.
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I hear ya. The price certainly gives me pause too... easily 2x the cost of a steel trailer. They do seem to hold their value very well.

If you don't mind, can you list some of the reasons that you wouldn't want the rim? I have not owned a flatbed trailer.
I like to sit on the edge of my trailer. Slide things off. Wrap straps and ropes over the sides. I trip on things. I like to hose the deck off and have the gravel and mud just blow off the sides.

I'm not saying that is not a beautiful trailer and if I had to park a trailer on grass in the eastern US for months on end, aluminum would be the cat's ***. (although you would still have to replace the rusty axles and brakes and stuff.

But, a steel trailer with a wood deck is what I have preferred. I did have a steel deck trailer but never an aluminum.

Last edited by FPKites; 06-03-2012 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Type what you want, let the filter do its job
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's a nice trailer... and I do think it's a bit wider as I see most PJs, Big Tex, Iron Eagle, etc. advertised as 84".
OCD kicks in and I had to go out back and measure my PJ trailer.

You are correct, my PJ measures 83" in between the fender wells. The same width as the entire deck. It is a bit wider than the Featherlite aluminum trailer.
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm... those are good points and all things considered maybe I'm rethinking this.
Tough decision. As much as the quality of the Featherlite appeals to me perhaps it's back to the Iron Angle ..err... Iron Eagle.
33291-dd84b1a9.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.