insight/suggestions for DD/Towrig !! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > insight/suggestions for DD/Towrig !!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
JSR789
1999 TJ Wrangler 

insight/suggestions for DD/Towrig !!

I'm looking for some help on choosing the right truck for a DD / Tow rig.

I'm looking for a truck that will take me and my jeep from Long Island, NY to Pennsylvania and also be my Daily Driver. I make this trip twice a year, other then that the truck won't see much if any towing. My jeep is somewhere in the 4500 - 5000# range and ill be using a U-haul trailer for the mean time till I find a place to keep a trailer. I've been looking at diesels but I keep thinking that a diesel will just be over kill for a twice a year tow trip. On the other hand I'm concerned a gasser wont have enough ummff to get me there efficiently.

I know the diesels are gonna get better mpg's towing, but given diesel is $4.50/gallon around here i'm not sure it would make much sense DD one. My commute to work is roughly 6 miles round trip other then that I don't drive much. Mab'ye you guys can chime in with some insight/ suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

JSR789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Diesel WK would be great for that application. I am currently in the process of buying one.
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I may get thrown out of here for suggesting this but I think you'd be fine with a half ton. A Chevy, Ford, or Dodge with a V8 and 3.73 gears would work well. I've heard the new Chevys and Ford with the econoboost turbo charged 6 cylinder both get decent gas mileage. I towed my TJ with my half ton Silverado a couple hundred miles and it did fine.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Location? If you're in a fairly flat area, a gas truck will be fine. I tow my jeep with a 5.4 F250. It's the crew cab long bed model with 4x4, so it's a very heavy truck to begin with. It tows fine on flatter areas. Some of the hills can test it a little, but I always make it.

I'd look for a 3/4 ton+ truck. They tow nicer, as they are more equipped to handle the heavy load. The 6.0 gm engine is a great engine if you come across one of them. The only fairly recent engine I'd really stay away from for towing is the dodge 4.7. It is very underpowered for the job.
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This is the classic dilemma. Fitting the need for an occasional tow rig into a daily driver. And, the reason for this dilemma is that a dedicated tow rig cannot be justified for two trips per year to the trails. And, there are always the incidental use that a 3/4 ton PU is good for. So, it is a complicated equation.

The simple answer is that you should rent a tow rig and equipment trailer two times per year from U Haul or Home Deport or Sunbelt and not buy a rig. Economically, that plan cannot be beat. Not even close. But, that isn't much fun, is it?

If you can find a place to store a trailer, you can store a dedicated tow rig. I recommend an Isuzu NPR with a 16' landscape bed on it, but there are other choices. These rigs are far more road friendly than an F250 with a trailer behind it. And, if you set a budget of about $12,000 it will last you forever with virtually no maintenance at 1000 miles per year. I think I paid about $400 per year for license and insurance on my Volvo FE. The cost per mile of a diesel 3/4 ton PU as a DD will dwarf the cost of owning a reasonable daily driver and a dedicated tow rig like the Isuzu NPR. Get out the calculator and take a look at it.

This one is 14' and you need 16' but you can get the idea:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.